Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Trough and Front - 25th - 27th May

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Trough and Front - 25th - 27th May

Post by stevco123 »

-0.1 currently with the 4th frost for May. I don't think I've ever seen that happen in May.

The upside is it will be another cracker of a day😉
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

stevco123 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:27 am -0.1 currently with the 4th frost for May. I don't think I've ever seen that happen in May.
Some exceptionally cold starts about, no doubt about it. All the more remarkable because it doesn't coincide with a particularly dry May.

BTW those Canterbury floods in NZ are scary. MetService says its only the second time they've issued a severe weather Red Alert, though I couldn't tell if that was for Canterbury or in general.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Another -2c frost here this morning. May 2021 has seen colder than normal min temps (mainly due to frosts in the past week), and warmer than normal max temps (mainly due to the hot start of May).

Looking ahead - perhaps 5mm later this week, but there are hints of a substantial system on 7-9th June. Something to keep an eye on.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Down to 3.3c here. This occurred in the evening before midnight. An inversion kicked in, followed by the northerly wind, so temp went up to 8c by 3am. It’s quite difficult to get down to zero or below here, as we’re often subject to inversions, except when there are southerly cold outbreaks of course. Sunny, breezy and 10c here currently.

The month finished pretty much on average for both minimum and maximum temps - 14.7c for the max and 6.6c for the minimum - and 107.6mm of rain in total.
M
Mike
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Mike »

-2.3 here at about 120am. But didn't get above freezing till nearly 830. Quite an epic frost again. Dropped below freezing around 930 last night. Nice and icy!
D
Derwent
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Derwent »

Hobart 12.6mm out of an average of 43mm for the month. Around 2 c over month average as well.
Looking forward and nothing about to change with several 17 degrees days ahead and nothing but sun .
I have already written off a wet winter and extremely worried about Spring being a very bad fire season. It’s as dry as a popcorn fart down here .
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

We're finishing on 99.5mm for May. (I was hoping a magpie might sneeze in the Nylex and bring it up to an even 100mm, but not to be!) Well above our May average of 72.4mm even so.

YTD is tracking nicely at 325mm vs average of 276mm.

May minimums have been 0.5C below average, maximums 0.5C above, so pretty much spot on for temps.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

stevco123 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:38 pm
hillybilly wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:54 pm Bit of frost here this morning with a min of 3.5C. First proper frost for the year.

That min at Olympic park was quite an anomaly. Bit odd actually. It’s. Cooler site which is probably a bit of a factor.

Cold agin tonight though not quite as cold.

Some rain in the week head with a broad slow trough.

Btw crazy system in NZ. Metres of snow in east facing mountains and foot of rain on the flats :o
Coldest May morning in about 70 years in the CBD this morning, from what i could find.

Love it, when it's heat related it's a record and the new norm apparently. When it's a cold record, it's an anomaly haha. The last 20 years of the previous Melbourne site near Carlton were an anomaly thanks to the absence of southerly winds. That site was consistently the warmest in the state, even warmer than Mildura in some cases ,especially in winter.
Record heat is happening far more often than record cold. They both happen but the odds are stacking in one direction. Eventually record cold will be so rare as to be almost unheard of. No amount of cheering or wishing for records of one direction or the other will change this.

I love cold. Would be over the moon if we could throw up a true record cold temperature for Melbourne or even better Ferny Creek.

Bit of frost here yesterday with a min of 6C. Remarkable gradients with some spots white and others mild and dry. Wind and a bit of cloud has kept it milder this morning.

Guess new thread time, though not look that exciting with weather tending to go to our north.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Sorry hillybilly, i respectfully don't agree. You're starting to sound like Tim Flannery who made wild predictions like the ones above and even more extreme, yet nearly none of them have happened. That bloke is now missing in action, yet we made him Australian of the year. The undisputed (or disputed) fact is the earth has, and is cooling, especially the last 10 years. I really don't want to open that can of worms as it creates unnecessary tension amongst fellow humans. I'm "on the fence" when it comes to so-called global warming, but am yet to be convinced that the situation is as dire as they say. My opinion, let it be respected like i respect everyone else. Let's move on...
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

May had above average daytime temps. 0.6c above average at Ballarat Airport.
Below average nightime temps, 0.7c below normal.
Rainfall 65.2mm's at the Airport but 83.0mm's here in Sebastopol.
Average is 64.5mm's
M
Mike
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Mike »

For my short term records it was my warmest May max by just 0.2 and coldest minimum average by 0.6 on the next coldest.

Anyway, new month, new weather. North American models and European ones been split on next day or two but all seem to be indicating a weather fest next week. Should be fun to watch it unfold.