Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

January 9-16: Warm to hot, with the odd shower

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: January 9-16: Warm to hot, with the odd shower

Post by hillybilly »

Spot falls approaching 25mm showing up under the band running through the northeast burbs. North and south of it just 2-5mm :o

Managing to split it all here atm, with rumbles to my north and south.
w
weathergasm
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by weathergasm »

Best lightning show for months here in Box Hill. Flashes directly overhead every 20 seconds, lasted a good 20 minutes too.

Now replaced by heavy rain.
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

We out-performed all the models here today with 16.6mm. All models were projecting around 2-5mm this morning. In the end, we were lucky to score several direct hits with very heavy rain, mostly this evening, including a couple of hail showers. Saw some lightning as well, although most of this was out in the distance toward the east. I tend to think that will be largely it for us now, as the southwesterly stream continues to direct showers further east. Nice to have some cold weather as well - currently 8.5c after a brief max of 17.7c today and a min of 7c this morning. A few cool to mild days now ahead.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Would have liked to watch what came through and woke me up after 10pm,
Some very heavy rain and wind.. ?
Dog loves these weather events, somehow it ends up sharing teenagers bed :o rules broken.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Australis(Shell3155) wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:21 am Would have liked to watch what came through and woke me up after 10pm,
Some very heavy rain and wind.. ?
Dog loves these weather events, somehow it ends up sharing teenagers bed :o rules broken.
Check out the radar archive at https://theweatherchaser.com/radar/IDR023-melbourne/12 Some impressive bows on the radar overnight.

We scored a couple of intense hail storms between 12am and 1am. Rainfall rates just shy of 100mm/hr. We’ve now had 27mm and getting further heavy showers atm. MTD is a very health 90mm, so well above average now.

Ok cover of snow at Mt Buller Image . Friend camping at Buffalo reported snow at 10pm, while Hotham and Falls have a light cover.

Twitter has some impressive hail accumulation photos through the northeast, middle eastern and southeast suburb. Looking at amateur obs a few spots have seen over 30mm, with lots around an inch.

Funny and frustrating summer. Some ares have seen bumper rainfall, while others are struggling. Feel sorry for those in north central who have missed repeatedly :(
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Just hit with another deluge, and now passed 30mm. Just summed my rainfall. We’ve had 1820mm in the past 375 days (1 and a bit weeks). Not a record but getting close. We had near 2000mm in 12 months at one point in 2010/11 which I believe is our record. One thing that’s is odd is that these big rainfall events are being driven by very heavy summer half year rainfall...

Here’s a phot from the backyard this morning. I’m struggling to keep up with the grass growth :D

Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

hillybilly wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:53 am Feel sorry for those in north central who have missed repeatedly :(
That's from about me northward. It's like the Kilmore Gap funnels dry air northward lol!
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Reports of brief snow flurries from late afternoon yesterday around the Gordon area. Unverified at this stage
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

stevco123 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:11 am Reports of brief snow flurries from late afternoon yesterday around the Gordon area. Unverified at this stage
Would put it down to hail, perhaps an outside chance of graupel. Temps were around 10-12C at the time in the area and dew points around 8C. Would be cool if true, but just not possible with those conditions. It has certainly snowed to low levels in January before. There is early reports I read of snow in Woods Point and Omeo in January.

We got a couple of cracking hail showers here which dipped us to 7C. I’ve seen graupel with low dew points at that temperature, but snow requires it to be at least 3C colder.

Finished on 33.0mm at 9am. MTD about 97mm.

There’s another front lurking in Bass Strait so more showers to come today.
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

Sitting on 18mm so far. Had I been where the Rowville Melbourne Water site is between 8am and 9am this morning I would have had about 6 mm more. While I had 3 mms here the site had around 10 mm, till then I had tracked it witnin a tight margin. Just shows what a difference a short distance can make in conditions like we have had in a last day.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

stevco123 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:11 am Reports of brief snow flurries from late afternoon yesterday around the Gordon area. Unverified at this stage
I was around yesterday and only saw small hail and perhaps sleet; certainly no flakes. I guess anything is possible under an intense cell, but we were way too warm here at 620m asl - lowest temp I saw was about 8C. Nice cover on the Buller cams this morning, and quite low - maybe 1500-1400 m?

Ended up with 7mm here in the end, which I thought was alright until I read some of the other totals :o .
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

That's what i thought too :)
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Great to see all the wintry pics. A further 0.4mm early this morning. Had a brief shower not long ago with the line of showers moving up from the south but not enough to register. Still managed to reach 17.5c today when the sun popped out, but it has been feeling quite cool with the wind. Certainly felt cool this morning as well with a minimum of 8.5c.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

I shot some amazing skyscapes leaving the CBD yesterday evening (people on the bus must have thought I was crackers lol!).

hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Awesome shots Didj.

Scored a heavy band of showers late arvo with 2mm. Finished off quite a wintery day with a min of 6.9 to a max of 13.8C. Some hot weather ahead, particularly away from the coast. Before then, a couple of sneaky fronts in the south with the odd shower Sunday and around Tuesday early.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Foggy drizzly morning with 5.2mm in the gauge for the 24 hours. Just passed 100mm for the month. Been an exceptionally good run here with 10 of the last 13 months above average. We’ve had just on 2000mm for the 13 months. I don’t believe there has been a single calendar year here with 2000mm, though we’ve reached that in the past for 12 months so close but not quite a record.

Couple of cool to mild ones ahead of a warm to hot spell. Could well creep into the low to mid 40s in the far northwest on the weekend, ahead of a possible tropical infeed.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

That's an amazing amount of rain HillyBilly. How far are you from the Melbourne CBD?
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Tassiedave wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:36 am That's an amazing amount of rain HillyBilly. How far are you from the Melbourne CBD?
As the crow flies just over 30km. We average double the city, but in the past 12 months have seen nearly triple. You can see the gradient on the deciles at Image

We are in the dark blue just east of the city.

Foggy and drizzly over night with another 0.4mm in the gauge.

Long warm to hot spell ahead. Sunday could be a scorcher, with potential for 45C in the northwest.
chasersaddict76
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by chasersaddict76 »

Heat wave over 40c this weekend might be first of year
Attachments
imageserver1.png
imageserver1.png (92.82 KiB) Viewed 6310 times
imageserver2.png
imageserver2.png (94.52 KiB) Viewed 6310 times
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

chasersaddict76 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:17 am Heat wave over 40c this weekend might be first of year
Yep it's certainly looking that way. Thank god I'll be down on the island when it hits.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.