Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

UHI - Australian Capitals and surrounds 2012/2013

Archived climatology topics are located here.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

UHI - Australian Capitals and surrounds 2012/2013

Post by Karl Lijnders »

So I think this year we will be taking a greater look at the effect of UHI on the averages in the big smokes of the country, particularly Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. We see a large temp variance every summer and spring across the metropolitan areas, but have been told many a time that the difference is not that great.

So here we will be taking down the obs and data from days and more particularly nights, where there is a large scale difference over a small area.

Sites to be looked at are Melbourne CBD, Tullamarine, Essendon, Laverton, Coldstream, Scoresby and Cerebus.

I think those stations give a good depth of analysis for the season and we will see how big the part of UHI really is!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: UHI - Australian Capitals and surrounds 2012/2013

Post by Anthony Violi »

Obviously a big factor, i found it very amusing that NOAA launched the CONUS dataset of 114 station free from any siting or biases issues.

But of course, the temperature came in at 75.5, well under the 1936 temperature. The temperatures set by the old network came in at 77.6.

Anyone want to hazard a guess which data was used?

This result shows 2 things, first off UHI is much worse than we think.

And secondly the 1930s dust bowl was the warmest part of the last 100 years without any doubt.

Will be researching this and will keep you updated with posts.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Of course we can all do our own real life experiment by just driving our cars from rural areas into urban, and noting the car's thermometer readings changing (if the car has one of course).
I well remember driving home from a friends house out in the countryside in a river valley at night time. My car would have a crust of ice on it when I left his house and the car's thermometer would be reading 0c or -1c. As I reached the outer fringes of my home town the temp would rise above freezing and gradually increase as I drove into town centre it would be up to +3c to +4c. By the time I reached my home on the other side of town it would fall back to +1c to +2c. So a difference of 3c to 5c from rural to urban locations.
The difference during the daytime was never so great, maybe 1c to 2c depending on the weather conditions at the time. Clear conditions at any time of day almost always lead to a bigger difference than cloudy or rainy conditions which evened things out.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Yes its definitely a night time thing Geoff...urban areas store massive heat after sundown, despite the denials from our experts.

http://anthonyvioli.wordpress.com/2012/ ... i-is-real/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I think the interesting days will be the ones that are seabreeze impacted. So where the CBD is say 27C and the inland suburbs are around 35-36 in light offshore winds. It is those days you find by 10pm, that the inland suburbs are cooler than CBD!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com