Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC - Strong fronts and possible low: May 7-12 2019

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Strong fronts and possible low: May 7-12

Post by StratoBendigo »

Very cloudy and overcast here of late and rather chilly during the day. Melbourne weather North of the Divide...

TC Ann looks like it'll downgrade to a Low by the time it nears the Cape.

It might be a while until we see more rain. Maybe a little this time next week. Some suggestions of a powerful cold front around the last week of May.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

hillybilly wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:11 am
TC Ann Cat 2. Cant recall a May TC impacting the Queensland coast, but my memory for such things isn’t great ;)
Last one to cross the Qld coast in May was in 1989 I think.

First recorded May cyclone was in 1898, last one before Ann was TC Pierre in 2007. 34 May cyclones since records began.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

JasmineStorm wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:43 pm
hillybilly wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:11 am
TC Ann Cat 2. Cant recall a May TC impacting the Queensland coast, but my memory for such things isn’t great ;)
Last one to cross the Qld coast in May was in 1989 I think.

First recorded May cyclone was in 1898, last one before Ann was TC Pierre in 2007. 34 May cyclones since records began.
That's great. Was too lazy to look myself :p

BTW got down to Cape Paterson today. Still piles of hail after three days - it was around three feet deep in spots, and the creek bottom was full. The trees were shreaded, but hail looks to have been mainly around a cm. The flash flooding was evident just north of The Caves (about 10km north of Inverloch).

Photos at the links below. I'll link some direct later.

A few photos. Piles of hail, the surf club (the wash out is about 10 feet deep), and Inverloch Beach which has been battered again in the last week (and lost about 30m of the sand dune, with only about 10m left to the surf club).

T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Max Temps in Tas today: Hobart Airport 19.9, Campania 19.9, Fingal 19.2, Hobart 19.0, Launceston 15.5
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Rainfall last 24 hrs in Tas: Mt Barrow 35mm, Cradle Valley 34mm, Nunamara 19mm, Devonport 6.2 mm, Hobart 4.8mm, Launceston 1.8mm
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Almost time for a new thread. Strong cutoff low, but it dies just before getting to Vic. Could be moderate to heavy falls from western Vic right up to the Alice, but will hit a brick wall somewhere near or west of Melbourne. Be nice if it could push a couple of 100kms further east ;)
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

HB, I am not so sure of it dying before vic! I have noticed increasing numbers of ant mounds - since the last event(both Tulla and here). The ants seem to know something is coming.
j
jimmyay
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by jimmyay »

Few days of 20 degrees coming up in Melbourne...a fair run of high maxes for this late in May!
j
jimmyay
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by jimmyay »

Few days of 20 degrees coming up in Melbourne...a fair run of high maxes for this late in May!
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

jimmyay wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:03 pm Few days of 20 degrees coming up in Melbourne...a fair run of high maxes for this late in May!
Melbourne will drop below the previous record dry YTD on Sunday or Monday and is running hottest year on record. Tis odd that many people don’t seem to have noticed out there :?