Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Looking towards substantial rainfall for SE Australia

All general weather related discussion & questions, including model discussions, longer-term outlooks & anything non-breaking weather.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Looking towards substantial rainfall for SE Australia

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Looking very interesting come later in the weekend into early next week. I tend to think this system will begin to take shape a little quicker than first thought with the mid level disturbance off WA really starting to develop. That will be an important source of moisture if it can get down here come Sunday for some showers and isolated thunderstorms.

Mid next week is when it really starts to get a bit exciting, loads of moisture being pumped into the easterly flow and it should advect south with the northerly winds into Victoria. A sharpening upper trough over eastern areas should provide the focus for showers and storms, with areas of rain likely over the Alps.

If a low can also come in from the NW then the whole complex could slow down and become a blocking feature which could spell big rainfall for some parts of the state or SE Australia.

Looking promising.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

Karl Lijnders » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:14 pm wrote:
Karl Lijnders wrote:Looking very interesting come later in the weekend into early next week. I tend to think this system will begin to take shape a little quicker than first thought with the mid level disturbance off WA really starting to develop. That will be an important source of moisture if it can get down here come Sunday for some showers and isolated thunderstorms.

Mid next week is when it really starts to get a bit exciting, loads of moisture being pumped into the easterly flow and it should advect south with the northerly winds into Victoria. A sharpening upper trough over eastern areas should provide the focus for showers and storms, with areas of rain likely over the Alps.

If a low can also come in from the NW then the whole complex could slow down and become a blocking feature which could spell big rainfall for some parts of the state or SE Australia.

Looking promising.

Very encouraging news Karl, thankyou so much for that... hope it comes off as expected, and hope this is just the beginning for the 2012-2013 Storm Season :D

Out of curiosity, how good are our chances for severe thunderstorm activity next week across Victoria?
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I would say 50/50 over the northern part of the state with the broad area of instability but if a much more defined feature comes into play, ie a surface low or strong cold front, then the chances will sky rocket for the entire state.

Models are wobbling around this morning. They look encourgaing, EC trying to work out what the hell is going on and UK still looks good
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Still a messy outlook. Not a great deal of guideance other than to say showers and storms look good around the ranges and west tomorrow, Mon/Tue. Then should ramp up across the state Thu/Fri where some big falls could occur if a low pressure system winds up.

Otherwise keeping a close eye on it here for the chance of flooding in the NE and Central areas as river basins are the wettest they have been in 40 years!
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

The climate response is going to be massive to the last 6 months.

I think we are going to do it all again, the question is will it be biblical like 10/11 or just stock standard massive.

I havent seen the planets align like this too often, everything is going to gether all at once again.

The main thing this year is the LWT and its position. It could be the difference between a big year and a deadly one.

If it continues in the coming months, which i think it will ease but who knows, umimaginable rainfall may result.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Something might be brewing for around Oct 8. Access-G is suggesting a very deep inland (heat) trough to develop over South Australia and then drop a fair bit of rain over Vic afterwards as it interacts with colder air from the South. One to watch and potentially very stormy - even if GFS isn't on-board yet.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

One to watch stratosphere, although not looking like much substantial rain in this coming week, with some warm temperatures especially on the 4th.
Go the bombersss!
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

nafets » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:24 am wrote:
nafets wrote:One to watch stratosphere, although not looking like much substantial rain in this coming week, with some warm temperatures especially on the 4th.
I'm intrigued by the first appearance in quite a long time of cloud over NW & Central Australia atm. There is moisture in the mix, but we'll have to wait and see where it goes. EC suggesting around 16mm for Melbourne early/mid next week with North-easterly winds.... 8-)
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Models firming on a disturbance from the West interacting with a surface trough from SA Saturday with a developing low just North or NE of us by Saturday Night or Sunday. UK, EC and ACCESS are on it now.

UK Fri Night: http://www.weatheronline.co.nz/cgi-bin/ ... O=&PERIOD=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK Sat Night: http://www.weatheronline.co.nz/cgi-bin/ ... O=&PERIOD=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I think this could be a protracted period of moderate rainfall for the entire state, bar the very far east. Be especially good for northern and western areas, firming up crops that have been managed better through the drier spells.

20-30mm likely along the divide and perhaps pushing into Melbourne, but will take a few days to sort out.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Actually I expect the best of the rainfall to be in the East especially far East as we go into SElys and the low winds up off the South NSW Coast but looks likely for a half decent drink hopefully for alot of the state this time round. Still 4 days ago so wait and see game again.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Anyone seen the SAM lately? Gone into Negative and is expected to take an even bigger nose dive over the next week or two, biggest dive for many months and interesting models are starting to throw some interesting scenarios next week
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/p ... _ensm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

Thanks for that link johnno. Hopefully we will see some decent spring fronts within the next few weeks.
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Well next week shapes as one of the bigger events of the spring with widespread humidity and low pressure dominating the region - could see falls in excess of 100mm accummulated over many regions of the SE regions of Australia and extending into NSW.

Showers and storms likely from Sunday over inland areas and gradually becoming more widespread as we go through Monday and tending extensive come Tuesday and Wednesday with and following a cooler change as the trough moves NE.

I think flood warnings for the NE ranges are not unreasonable but it could dump in some places - November average rainfalls in a day.

Certainly one to watch.
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

Definitely something I will be putting a close eye on, especially come Tuesday and Wednesday ahead of the long-wave trough. EC has a large swathe of 15c+ DPs developing inland Australia on Monday and spreading SE on Tuesday. NT and northern SA should light up light a christmas tree.

Could be our first big rain for a few months.
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Starting to like the look of next week ACCESS, GFS and EC all push a front with a low in the bight that goes South of us then the upper trough and surface trough will stall somewhere over SE Australia and strengthen in response to a pool of cold air later next week over the Bight and may sink South again.. This has potential.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Nearly all extended model runs are indicating for Victoria at least, a fairly benign and drier pattern to emerge, for the next 2 weeks. It only looks like a few weak frontal system or troughs will influence the states weather, with heat building to our north. Will keep an eye on things hopefully not too much of an extended dry spell.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Power Storm wrote:Nearly all extended model runs are indicating for Victoria at least, a fairly benign and drier pattern to emerge, for the next 2 weeks. It only looks like a few weak frontal system or troughs will influence the states weather, with heat building to our north. Will keep an eye on things hopefully not too much of an extended dry spell.
Well here we are about 10 days later and still it looks dry, so the models got that one right. I do see a glimmer of hope from at least a couple of the models for the last few days of November, with the chance of tropical moisture finally making its way down here with a warm thundery breakdown, but still a long way out - we live in eternal hope! :D
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

This has been an exceptionally dry and uneventful spring to the point where I've temporarily lost interest to a degree. If it wasn't for the wet winter and the relatively cool conditions we would be suffering from mild drought conditions again. As it stands the soil moisture is still reasonable.

This week looks terribly dry according to pretty much all of the models. We have a couple of troughs set to pass through with no rainfall progged whereas during the la Nina conditions of the past few years we would have been looking at scattered to widespread showers and storms. It just goes to show how quickly things can change.

I am confident that we should snap out of this 'mini drought' by early next month as there are now signs of the oceans around northern Aus starting to warm and we are now seeing the first major storm outbreak for SE QLD which has suffered even worse than us from the dry spring conditions.