Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

So... tell me about YOU!

Have a chat, coffee and let's laugh about what is going on in your world. You can also find 'Photography Central', 'AWF Member Photos' & 'Weather Sites/Links Australia'.
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: So... tell me about YOU!

Post by aussiestormfreak »

Whoops! My mistake. Sorry

I forgot to finish the sentence 'I have been a member...'

I was gonna mention that I have been a member of the Australian Severe Weather Association for a number of years. Sorry for not mentioning that earlier... my bad lol
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Haha easily done mate! Big welcome to the forum Andrew, heaps of eastern suburbanites in here so you're right at home. We have a dedicated sub-section in the photography forum where you can create your own page - we'd love to share some of your images, and you can see some of the other talent we have on here!

Cheers
Chris (Admin)
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Gidday Andrew, great to have you on board with us (we like storm freaks here rofl). Whereabouts do you spend your time in NE Vic? We have a place up at Eildon as do a few others on the forum and we have members up in the NE too :D

Welcome, look forward to hearing more from you :)
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Gday Chris and Lily! Thankyou so much for the big welcome, happy to be a member of the community at last :)

Chris: thanks for that, I look forward to sharing my photos with you guys, as well as my stories, I'm very impressed by what I've seen on this forum so far!! ;)

Lily: cheers!! :) ;) Usually when I'm in Northeast Victoria, I tend to base myself up at Corryong. The region gets plenty of weather excitement through the year - including plenty of thunderstorm action in the spring and summer (most years at least)! :)

Thankyou again for the warm welcome guys, I look forward to contributing to this forum in coming years.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

happy to be a member of the community at last
Have you been one of those lurking "guests" we see down the bottom all the time? :laughing: Join in, we love new members everyone :D

Hey Andrew, do me a favour and go into your User Preferences, in there you can edit your location. Will make it easier for people to know where you're reporting in from. If you have any trouble, let me know :)
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Lily: hahahahaha!! :D

Yes I confess... up until today, I've been one of those guests 'lurking' about on this forum... even though I only came across this forum late last year! ;)

Oh and sure thing, I'll set my location right away! :)
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

My pleasure Lily! :-D
d
dazrain
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dazrain »

HI all,

First post on here......my name is Darren, 40 years young, married with 2 beautiful girls aged 6 and 4 and live in sleepy McKinnon.

Been a weather nut since a kid - my fav weather experience is seeing a waterspout in the South Pacific whilst on our yacht aged about 10, and seeing the
windspeed meter hit 60 knots when the needle jammed on overload!

"Do you ever spend a day not talking about the weather!" - my wife today.

.....maybe when I'm dead lol!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Cumulonimbus wrote:"Do you ever spend a day not talking about the weather!" - my wife today.

.....maybe when I'm dead lol!
You sound like our sort of guy :hysteria: Big warm welcome to the forum, Darren, hope you settle in well and enjoy your time here. Can't wait to see posts and hear reports from all of our new members, this is terrific :D

As I've mentioned earlier with Andrew (aussiestormfreak), can you go into your user control panel and edit your location so that we know where you're reporting in from, give me a yell if you have any difficulties :D

Once again, welcome aboard :wave:
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Gee I like this thread, I can go smiley nuts :rotfl:

:redguy: :pharaoh: :peaceout: :cheers: :hasta: :blowtorch: :brightbanana: :guitar: and not forgetting Karl ----> :affro: (ROFLMAO :P )
n
norwester
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by norwester »

Hi all, my name is Debbie and I live in Merbein (10 km west of Mildura) I've been a lurker for a while too, but this latest rain overload prompted me to join. We have lived here for 10 years on a very small acreage with 2 horses, a freerange goat :?, several chickens and two Jack Russells. I part own a small gallery in mildura, having retired from countless years of nursing. Mildura tends to focus an interest in the weather - truly big sky country and clear views of weather coming in from about 60km in any direction if you live out of town so I have become more "obsessed" since we moved here. My kids are adult, one in Munich and one in Perth and no grandchildren in the mix yet! Looking forward to learning more. One question I would love to have answered, our ten year old raingauge is on its last legs, what do you guys suggest I replace it with? cheers, Debbie
Dry, dusty and hot - usually!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Gidday Debbie, really lovely to have you join us. Thanks for your contributions so far in the Feb Rainfall thread, great stuff :)

TWO jack russells? LOL, I have one and she's a handful, never mind two (though we also have a dopey golden retriever in the mix, it's like Dumb and Dumber in this house some days rofl). Nah, I shouldn't say that, the jack russell is actually a very bright little dog, she rules the roost around here :P

If your'e after a manual rain gauge, drop into your local Bunnings and pick up a Nylex rain gauge, they're the best as far as I know. You would be able to get one for $20-$30 easily :)
n
norwester
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by norwester »

Thanks for that - the one I have is a nylex, becoming a bit brittle and discoloured after 10 years in the Mallee sun! Was hoping you would tell me to get a wireless one as got a bit sick of wading out to empty the nylex but will go with whatever is most accurate. Our jacks are nearly 2 so going through the teenage years - lots of fun though We had a dalmation and a heeler before these two, and gordon setters before that, so our first little dogs really. Must say the animals are a bit stressed by the rain - our goat, Marj, a "fell off the truck from Broken Hill feral" spent the whole weekend under the table on the verandah! The Jacks are enjoying swimming in the "lakes" though.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

LOL, no, you're more than welcome to go out and get a weather station, I was just being nice to your bank balance :rotfl:

I have a Davis Vantage Vue, love it! I purchased it from one of our members, Aussky, I'm sure she'd be happy to give you information about them :)
n
norwester
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by norwester »

Oh that sounds good - will investigate. Thank you!!
3030WX
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 3030WX »

G'day all. I'm new to this forum so here is my introduction. My name is Graeme (55), married with three grown-up children, four grandchildren and one on the horizon.

I've had an interest in the weather ever since I studied for the Weatherman's badge in the Scouts. My fascination with the weather was so profound, that at the age of 12 I decided I wanted to be a Meteorologist when I left school. I'm pleased to say that my childhood aspirations did eventuate and I joined the Bureau of Meteorology as a trainee Meteorologist in 1977. I'm still with the Bureau although my role over the last ten to fifteen years has been to manage the Bureau's Marine Observing Networks. I'm also heavily involved in the international arena as the Chair of two panels for WMO and JCOMM.

Whilst the weather is my profession, it is also a hobby and I maintain a personal weather station at Werribee: http://www.werribeeweather.com.au.
Current weather at Truganina

Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation. - Kin Hubbard
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Hey, g'day back, Graeme, very happy to have you join us here. Congratulations on Grandchild No. 5 who's about to make his/her entrance :D
I've had an interest in the weather ever since I studied for the Weatherman's badge in the Scouts
LOL, I was a Brownie and a Guide, I used to love achieving my badges, but we didn't have anything as interesting as Weatherman's badge, ours were all cooking and cleaning and ironing and the like :rotfl:

Very happy to have a WS in Werribee, that's great news. My girlfriend lives in Werribee so now I'll be able to give her more accurate info, thanks for sharing.

Welcome!
Robbo
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Robbo »

Hey There.
My name is Rob,im 47,live in Daylesford ,24 + years.was a Pommie once ,so im educated in Rainfall!!
Travel daily over to Gisborne,yeah warmer months are fine,forget Winter mornings on the Black Forest,been doing it for 25 years,still dont like it,haha.

Bit of a Gold Prospector,Motorbike Rider,CFA Firefighter,so the weather does impact on nearly everything i do,suffice to say.Joined this Forum to basically understand Weather patterns a bit more,rather than take it for granted the tv weather report is on the money!
Cheers ,thanks.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

A big welcome to Robbo and all the other newbies that Lily and Chris have welcomed :) You've got some great interests there Robbo and you will definitely find all the latest up to date info on the weather