Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

North QLD Area Weather

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
retiredweatherman
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

North QLD Area Weather

Post by retiredweatherman »

I have been located in Townsville since 1986, and retired from BoM here. I welcome others who reside in this area to contribute local weather information.

Commencing tomorrow I will present a daily morning weather observation, plus extra comments during the day when interesting weather occurs, from my location at Garbutt East, which is quite close to the foot of Castle Hill.

For those that do not reside here, Townsville has been nicknamed " Brownsville " as it located in a rain shadow from the prevailing trade flow. The official gauge sited at the Airport since 1941 is also in a mini rain shadow which was well shown by the 2010 figures, whereby this gauge clocked up just under 2000mm for 2010, most other local flood alert gauges were well over this - averaging 2200 - 2300 mm.

Most thunderstorm activity tends to be deflected to the SE or N due to the ranges almost circling the city. Although the annual rainfall average is reasonable, in excess of 1100mm the majority of this can fall in a matter of weeks with little else for the rest of the year, hence the nickname. 2010 was unusual in that except for a couple of months, most months were above average.

It does have its moments such as the ' Night Of Noah ', Jan 10/11- 1998, with 549 mm recorded in 24 hours and again in April 2000 with TC Tessi when 480 mm was recorded in 24 hours ( spilt in half as it fell either side of the 0900 reporting period for rainfalls ).
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Townsville area weather

Post by Lily »

Awesome! :applause: Really looking forward to reading your reports, RTW, really happy you've joined us :cheers2:
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

When i lived on the Gold Coast in 2006 the Night of Noah was folklore even that far South.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

great to hear from your little corner of paradise! I have a good friend and work colleague who hails from Townsville - he's always asking what's the weather doing up there, so now I can tell him with a degree of certainty :)
retiredweatherman
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Thunder to west, but as usual that cell should head N of us. In a monsoonal situation here TS activity tends to be later at night, often after midnight and again just before sunrise, and usually peters out after sunrise as atmosphere stabilizes.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

RWM, welcome to the forum! I will be flying through NT in mid Feb around 5am, what do you think my chances are of catching some solid convection and/or thunderstorm activity? Cheers, ILS.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

My Hairdresser has family up that way also.
Looking forward to the reports.
retiredweatherman
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

ILS - Impossible to give that a accurate a forecast from so far out and also not knowing what part of NT you are referring to.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Thanks RWM, straight through the guts of NT up into Singapore. Would be hoping for something around that time of year :D

Maybe head through WA though by the looks of things, unless there is a severe TC.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Hi ILS, I've done that trip dozens of times, and chances are you will see some structure (assuming you fly in the daytime???) or some sparks at night - it is the right time of year for it after all.

Take a look in the Aviation thread - I just posted a bit more on your journey! ;) (yes, I'm a closet plane spotter!)
retiredweatherman
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

0710 - ENE 1km/hr,26.1C,90%RH,23.5C DP,1005.7hPA,Mon. max.31.3C at 1443,Tue.min.24.1C at 0557, Max. wind gust. NE 32km/hr at 1418, 24 hour rain - 0.6mm, Jan 159.6mm. Overnight shower,Current weather as per pic.
/ Image
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Nawwww, no pic? :( Sounds a bit sticky up there (well, to us southerners anyway lol).
retiredweatherman
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

About to be hit here by a TS..
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Looks like the worst of it is south of Mt Stuart...
retiredweatherman
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

More TS activity starting up locally. With BoM expecting monsoon trough to be parked over us by tomorrow morning, this could be a long noisy night here.
retiredweatherman
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

0730-SSE1km/hr,26.6C,96%RH,25.8C DP,1005.4hPa,Tue.max.32.9C at 1428,Wed.min.24.8C at 0510,Max.wind gust NNE 31km/hr at 1524,24 hour rain-4.0mm,Weather - TS 1610, intermittent TS activity 2000-2300, now clearing with mid level(ex CB) showers around the horizon..
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

More scattered showers and thunderstorms on their way for you this afternoon too, RTW?
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

The monsoon trough sitting a fair way south should give a few more days of thunderstorms which is great!! Nice to see that the desert part of the coastline getting some weather!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
retiredweatherman
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Line of storms to our SW and S, thunder heard here but these should slip away along the ranges toward Burdekin as they usually do. Maybe later on for us if heat induced storms further inland can make it this far.
retiredweatherman
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

TS commenced here 1800, more intense to the north.