Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Become a BoM Storm Spotter

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Become a BoM Storm Spotter

Post by admin »

As the storm season is upon us - I would really recommend all AWF members to become BoM storm spotters. The more reports we put in the better the data that is obtained with regards to forecasting / warnings etc. Besides you also get a great newsletter from time to time.

Go here - http://www.bom.gov.au/storm_spotters/index.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow us on Twitter @ AusWeatherForum
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Become a BoM Storm Spotter

Post by Karl Lijnders »

I am a spotter and it is amazing fun. Lots of great newsletters over the years and so much info is stacked on those and you learn a lot. Couple this with joining ASWA VIC and your level of interest will fly through the roof.

Nothing to lose becoming a spotter, so much to gain.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Totally agree with Karl. It's really fun, and when you get that real severe thunderstorm that you can report for the first time ... quite amazing!! It's well worth it as long as you report by the rules and lots of information to learn along the way! Besides, this is a way of alerting and helping the local community. ;)
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

Clyve and I have been spotters for many years - we spend a lot of our time when out on the road reporting to the BoM...I also report freezing levels and snow heights in winter (or summer as the case may be) - something the BoM is grateful for as they don't get that sort of information frequently...a lot of the information that spotter provide allows the forecasters to validate as well as fine tune their forecasts (and update or issue warnings sometimes) and also gives them the change to 'groundtruth' the radar (we send photos to them of significance with the time and location and they tie this information in with their radar).......Well worth being a storm spotter.....Jane
Australian Sky & Weather (AUSSKY)
Victoria - The State of Drizzle & Occasional Tornadoes
(1999 -2016)
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

The Bureau strongly disapproves of and does not authorise risky conduct such as chasing storms.
Can I still join? :P

Printed the form out. Will fill out and post back after the new year.

I wonder how seriously they take people reporting funnels?
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

In the guidelines I have Meso, it says only to report tornadoes once touched down, if you are certain it is on the ground.

So who rings or does it via internet ??
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.