Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Kluger, Terrtory... or something else?

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Kluger, Terrtory... or something else?

Post by Lily »

Not sure if anyone here can help me at all?

I currently drive a Honda Accord V6 Luxury, it's nice, big but not too big, has all the gadgets and being a sales rep, it's terrific for someone on the road all day. My husband has got a new job and with it will be getting a company car, therefore we can't use his car anymore (currently a Pajero) to lug dogs, kids, stuff to Eildon (this weekend he's taken up a load of blinds) and for other things like collecting fire wood. It really has been an all purpose car! I love the Paj and have considered keeping it for myself, but it's a manual and I think just a bit too big for me to drive daily (I do both country and inner city appointments).

So! (Getting to the point!). We're thinking of trading both cars for something for me that's not going to be quite as expensive as the Accord, but can still accommodate the family, the dogs, the firewood but is also functional and comfortable (and particularly easy for parking inner city) for me to drive. I've considered a Ford or Holden wagon, but it feels a bit "sales-reppy", so started to think of alternatives and was looking at the Territory or the Kluger.

Both vehicles seem to have the room, and reasonably good on the safety. They don't have all the features I'm used to currently, but if I want to drop in price, I'm going to have to suck it up (though Bluetooth would be handy for my job!). I have heard the Territory can be a bit of a fuel guzzler, not sure if anyone can attest to that at all?

So, any thoughts, pros and cons? Has anyone here got a Ford Territory or Toyota Kluger? Or can you think of something else I perhaps should be considering?
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Re: Kluger, Terrtory... or something else?

Post by Rivergirl »

Lily I've got a Honda CRV which works very well. I have never had any trouble with Hondas. It fits 5 people comfortably and room for a dog and firewood in the back. I was in a head on a few years back and the firies said it protected me very well ($20,000 damage and they fixed it). What I also like about the CRV is that it's not one of the big 4WDs and it handles well and is easy to drive :)
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Thanks Robyn, hadn't thought of the CRV. I have driven one when my car has been serviced, they are quite nice, but I can't remember how big the boot is? We've got the two dogs (one's a golden retriever, so pretty big and goofy), so need a reasonable amount of room. I'll have another look at them, can't quite remember their size as it's a few years since I drove one. Thanks :)
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

I have an X-Trail. Only a 4 cyclinder but can tow ok and for lugging kids/dogs/wood.
If you gave me a choice of Kluger/Territory/CRV & X-Trail, I'd go the Territory.
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Hmmm, ok, X-trail. I looked at them a few years ago, was comparing them and the Outlander, which is of course another choice to consider. Decisions, decisions... the Outlander rocks, of course, because it has a cooler box in the glove box ROFL. I think the X-trail had that too?

I think I'll have to go and look at the X-Trail, CRV, Territory and Kluger in the flesh, if only to see the space in there. My kids are growing bigger by the day (my 11yo is almost a young man and only going to get bigger and my 8 yo is the size of a 10/11 year old!), so we need the space in the back as well as decent boot space. It's a tricky one!

Ooooh! Just started raining up here at Eildon - noice!!!
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

We just bought our Kluger about 5 weeks ago Lily...i drove both that and the territory and they werent even close. Of course, the cost is the issue. we got an exceptionally good deal and if you want to venture out this way to Yarra Valley Toyota can introduce you to everyone their as i know them. It really depends on needs, we went for the 7 seater as we have 3 kids and the car was full.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

So what were the differences between the two, AV?

Thanks for the offer re: YVT introductions, appreciate it :D
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Haven't bought a Toyota but can endorse the Yarra Valley group.
Have bought 2 Nissans thru the Yarra Valley group and their service and advice was exceptional.
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

First difference is the Toyota is simply a better car, better designed and quality work. I got the Altitude which was second top of the range, and got the $6K worth of extra from the base model without any extra charge. They were 19" alloy wheels, Sunroof, DVD player, Rear climate control and reverse camera.

The territory just didnt feel smooth enough in comparison, the suspension set up is different.

My advice is to drive them all and compare value for money. I couldnt be happier with ours, actually my wife is because she drives it, and am happy for you to check it out if you like.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Reverse camera would be good, I have that now and would like to have it in the next car. It's amazing how quickly you get used to it and come to rely on it.

Thanks for all your help and advice, everyone. Got lots of thinking and researching to do :D
brayden
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by brayden »

Hi Lily,
Yeah got an X-trail bout 2 weeks ago now. I was doing lots of research and comparing it to the subaru forester. I went with the x-trail due to more cabin/boot space. Needed something for work and reliability to get to WA outback etc. also for stormchasing ;) Even though this is good, I am sad to say that I sold the honda crx yesterday :( lol its like putting down a loved pet. though i know the c-rex is going to a good home.
"I'm in with the sane, does that make me Insane?"
"I lycra like that"
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

The X-trail will be smaller than the Kluger or Territory though, right? Space is a concern, of course, especially with two growing kids, although having something a little smaller for me to drive around in is my preference - this is where I get stuck lol.

Congrats on the new car purchases, guys :D
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Yes Lily, Kluger is biggest of the lot in the 7 seater model, Territory slightly smaller. Not sure if the other 2 come in 7 seater..

avweatherforecasts.com
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

We have a black TS Territory RWD 2005 (I think) model. Love it to bits! It's very comfortable to drive and to be a passenger in. We chose not to go for the AWD option as we would never use it for that and I often feel sick as a passenger in large 4WD's (The Kulger was one of them when we road tested them!). We were looking at the Territory, Kluger and Mazda Tribute at the time of searching, and chose the Territory as it had better comfort and feel than the other 2 at the time.

Yes, they are big juice guzzlers! And I'm not sure if the fuel efficiency has been improved with later models. We can fit so much into it when we go away. 4 passengers, the cat in her cage between the kids and all our gear in the boot. It fits most of the Band's Gear in the back too when the rear seats are folded down...and they fold down completely flat (not sure if other cars you are looking at do this as I don't know their specs!) It also fairs well in a tail ender crash at 60kph...my little Laser would have been a write off if I had been driving that! My Hubby always comments on how tight the turning circle is on it.

I have not tried any of the newer models, though, and ours is now 5 years old. I love driving it, but hate parking it. But I don't drive it often enough to get used to the size of it (I have a KJ Laser).

One thing....it is Australian made, and the finishes are not as good as the Japanese cars. A couple of little things have broken (sunglass compartment and a panel in the boot) and they are a rip off to replace! We have had problems with the drivers side window getting stuck down, and also the back flap not closing and locking properly. There was also a known problem with their brakes (fixed with a recall) and aslo problems with their ball joints.

Test drive all the cars you are looking at, and also make sure you are a passenger in all of them too (front and back) to get a feel of them.

Good Luck!!!
Online weather station: http://www.stormygirl.net/wx/
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Thanks for the added info, Ice Storm :D Great stuff!

My husband's pushing me to look at the CX9 - lots of $$$ though :o
stormygirl
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by stormygirl »

No worries, Lily!

We have friends who have the CX7, and I can tell you now, the turning circle is crap compared to our Territory! For the size of it, the Territory is a very manouverable car! ...but I still hate taking it to Chadstone! ;)

Keep your options open and look at everything! I know you will choose the car that is right for YOU.
Online weather station: http://www.stormygirl.net/wx/
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

I've just driven a CX-9 - I'm in love! I think it's going to be too much money though :(

Still searching...
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Well, as it turns out, I chose.... something else.

OMG, OMG, OMG! I'm in lurrrrrrve, I've bought the Mazda CX9 with Sat Nav, it's magnificent, drives like a dream :bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance:

Thanks for all the help and advice, everyone, much appreciated :D
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Well done Lily! :applause:

Must be the week for buying cars. I purchased a car on Thursday - a shiny black Toyota Aurion Prodigy!!!!! :D
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Oh yay, congrats to you too! We could meet up at DFO (with AV's wife in her new Kluger :D ) and give our new shopping trolleys a trial run - we'll have a competition to see how much shopping we can squeeze in :hysteria:

Black huh? I got a silver one ("aluminium"), mainly because this was the only colour they had in stock but also because I'm slack & hate washing cars and silver doesn't show dirt as much lol.