Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Flying foxes at Mount Macedon!

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Flying foxes at Mount Macedon!

Post by droughtbreaker »

On my property, right now! Can't say exactly how many but there are several.

Never ever seen here, never even considered it possible that they could be seen here. Not sure if the local swamp gums are flowering and that's what they are after, I suspect that is the case as they usually flower roughly around the winter period. I suspect they have travelled here from their colonies in Melbourne and will return by dawn. Apparently they can travel up to 50km in a night. They certainly are huge, very loud wing beats and shrieking noises. A bit startled, never anything I ever expected to see here.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Flying foxes at Mount Macedon!

Post by Lily »

Eeeek! I don't like them much, they scared the heck out of me when I was a kid lol. Did they return home or have they set up camp?
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

They were back again last night. Only about 5-10 of them here and they return back before dawn. Not sure how many are elsewhere in the area though, it could be a lot more. The swamp gums are flowering as I suspected and that's what they are after but no one has ever seen them here before so it's weird. We've also had king parrots moving into the area in the last few years which I had also never seen here before. Something is going on.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

You might be getting the start of what bendigo has had for the last 6 weeks now. We have a colony set up shop and is getting considerably larger every week. The Colony started off around 500, and now the estimates are over 8,000!!! Its a sight to see at Dawn and Dusk thats for sure!

I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...