Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Long hot spell: February 14-24

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Long hot spell: February 14-24

Post by hillybilly »

Real blast of summer coming up with heat slowly building Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, easing a bit on the weekend then returning next week. EC has multiple days above 40C in the north, a couple of days around 40C in Melbourne. On the upper end of the progs, we could see late season records get approached. In northwest Australia could well see multiple days get close to 50C.

With things really dried out fires will be a concern.

Tassie will miss the worst of it :D but still plenty of warm days in the 20s.

Not really seeing rain with this for most. Some showers in Tas on Thursday and then around Saturday (heavy in the southwest) Mainland looks dry or mostly dry.
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Long hot spell: February 14-24

Post by QldTwister »

Yep im excited about this 3 ripper days of summer on the way in Melb low to mid 30s high 30s Thursday posible its been chilly few weeks but missing summer with only weeks left

Inland areas will bake for days, sadly our drought days are back and with El Nino and postive IOD on the way this year better get used to dry again.
After 3 wet cool years gotta expect it next few years gonna suck but least i get some heat, but humid stormy days might be hard to come by :(

Next 3 days gonna be great looking forward to enjoying them :D

wish we missed the cool change on the weekend hopefully still get high 20s near 30
Bring on the heat and stroms
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

We've been running 2-3 degC below average for the first half of Feb. The next week or so will even that out a bit.

Just 6mm so far this month. A dry one for sure, but not unusually so given it's our driest month on average.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

BOM have issued a severe heatwave warning for this... http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/warnings/heatwave.shtml
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

26 here today. Expect Thursday and Friday to be similar. Front for the weekend is starting to look a bit wetter, and might even give a bit in southern VIC.

VIC will be much hotter, next two days.

EC for next week is a shocker for late summer. Has near 47C around Renmark and around 45C in Mildura. Days out so will wiggle, but expect this one to break late season records. Not looking forward to next summer if the march towards El Niño and positive IOD continue :o
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by QldTwister »

Yeah next few few summers are gonna be shockers lots of record heat, fires, drought, dust and dry gonna suck :( :(
wish i got out more and enjoyed the floods last 3 years though i did get out alot late last year and last summer was awesome lots of heat and stormy days.

Today was nice tomorrow even better but stuck inside all day Friday sucks but late next week could be even hotter hoping prolonged and not just spike day.

Amazing the flip just like in 2020 but this time its the other day
Bring on the heat and stroms
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Already 27c here this morning, with a horrible gusty northerly.

Incredible how quickly we have gone from very wet to very dry. The landscape around here is starting to look parched now. Soil moisture has dropped a lot, and there's still more heat and wind to come. Not expecting much, if any, rain on the weekend, but fingers crossed for something at the end of the next heatwave. Models are hinting at something brewing around Saturday next week, but it's too far away to have any confidence. Definitely need something to break this pattern and deliver some rain!
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Reached 35.0c at Ballarat Airport today ( I recorded 35.7c here in Sebastopol) that makes it the hottest day in Ballarat
since 31-12-2021 when it reached 35.5c at the Airport.
If it reaches the predicted 37c tomorrow that will be the hottest Day since 31-1-2020 when it hit 39.4c at Ballarat Airport.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

26C here yesterday. Hottest day of the month. Today might go a degree hotter, but thinking the easterly breeze on the heat low that currently sits over the centre of Tasmania will keep things humid and milder for areas south of Hobart.

VIC just looks hot. Bit of relief over the weekend, mainly near the coast then back again next week. The system is slowing down for next week which will bottle the worst heat over SA and WA so the heat will be more prolonged but not as high for VIC. Would think Melbourne touch and go for and 40, but northeast Vic in line for multiple days above that.

Rainfall looks pretty lean for the mainland with a big system over northeast Australia and compensating large heat dome to the south and west. These patterns are so often the types that set up long long heatwaves for southern Australia. Might get some solid falls for TAS Saturday and agin Monday with slow moving thoughts. There’s quite decent shots of moisture with both, but forcing is subtle so will see. Models are keen on tomorrow being thundery here :D
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

hillybilly wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:00 am Would think Melbourne touch and go for and 40, but northeast Vic in line for multiple days above that.
Do you mean northwest Vic hillybilly? I ask because I'll be passing through the northeast twice next week, and BOM forecasts look reasonable (tops in low to mid 30s). Hopefully I'm not missing something!
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Gordon wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:23 am
hillybilly wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:00 am Would think Melbourne touch and go for and 40, but northeast Vic in line for multiple days above that.
Do you mean northwest Vic hillybilly? I ask because I'll be passing through the northeast twice next week, and BOM forecasts look reasonable (tops in low to mid 30s). Hopefully I'm not missing something!
Yep, fingers too quick.

Northerly just broke through here. Temperature jumped 12C in an hour. Now 34C here. Hottest in three years :?
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Thanks - and nasty heat spike. Hopefully short-lived!

33C here after a relatively comfortable night (21-19C) and a slow start. Wind isn't too bad so far...
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

Currently 40.5°C on the Davis WS, the first 40C in a summer or two I think.
Pengaz
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Pengaz »

Good heat out there now, nudging 38 at the nearby aws but reckon it’s hotter than that here.

High based storm cell to our south has been rumbling away for the past half hour. Throwing up a good anvil so the strong radar echoes are believable.

Feels like a throw back to the millennium drought days.
M
Mike
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Mike »

Interesting streak to break.

https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/mel ... rs/1104512

37.3 here at home (so far) which is my warmest February day in the 7 Feb's at this location.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Pengaz wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:59 pm High based storm cell to our south has been rumbling away for the past half hour. Throwing up a good anvil so the strong radar echoes are believable.
Must be putting some actual rain on the ground with that black core?
Edit: just got its own STW for large hail.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Reached 38.0C down here today. I didn't see that coming :( Was just 22C on 11am then jumped to 35C at 12:30pm. Suspect the hottest temperature in more than three years.

Melbourne's 40.5C is the first 40C+ since 31 January 2020. The last three La Nina with all the rain have really taken the heat out of summer.

Rain prospects aren't looking great, unfortunately, with the front today, Saturday or Monday :(
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

hillybilly wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:39 pm Rain prospects aren't looking great, unfortunately, with the front today, Saturday or Monday
Sadly I think you are right HB. :(

The western desert is really living up to it's sad existence. It hit 42 backing degrees at work today with not a drop in sight.

Only drops falling in my backyard lately is the ones coming out of my sprinkler.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Reached 38.5c at Ballarat Airport today hottest day since 31-01-20 (39.4c)
Reached 37.7c at my place in Sebastopol also the hottest since that date.
Slowly cooling off here still 30c though.
No rain for 2 weeks and no real rain in sight. :x
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

hillybilly wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:39 pm
Melbourne's 40.5C is the first 40C+ since 31 January 2020.
Longest period without a Melbourne 40C since the 1960s :o