Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Possible STORMS - hot and cold Dec 5/6

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: Possible STORMS - hot and cold Dec 5/6

Post by hillybilly »

Skywalker wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:58 pm A rather pathetic 3mm here for the past week. Not really surprising with the garbage south westerly airstream yesterday. :roll:

Back to full time watering with no rain on the horizon.
Geez that’s not good :( We’ve had just over 45mm in the same period. Lush and green up here. The contrast across Melbourne can be quite amazing. I lived in the northern burbs for a while and the dry and wind was too much for me :o

Max of just 12C here today. Picked up 1mm of showers.

One more front for Thursday. Maybe a mm or two. Looks drizzly to me.

Maybe storms next week, or not. Progs looking very La Niña :D
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Drizzly and foggy night up here. 2mm so far, and still dripping down. MTD almost 50mm.

Huge rain event coming up for western half of Australia and east coast next week. Starting to look like we could tap some of that moisture around middle of next week. Meanwhile near perfect weekend weather :D
d
dazrain
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dazrain »

Off topic a bit - where does the stupid weather app on iPhone get its data from?

A friend yesterday said it was going to be 29 on Sunday in Melbourne according to app, yet the BOM forecast is for 30.

Minimum temps all differ from what BOM says.

I always look at the official BOM forecast, but a lot of lay people only use this app
D
Derwent
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Derwent »

Hi from Hobart,
Been a nice cool start to December. Got a pretty icy and windy game of golf in last Sunday. This weekend is the complete opposite with a 3 day heat wave on the way. Sunday 28 Monday 31 and Tuesday 28 this far this far out.
Be an interesting 3 days for us. Still nothing brewing in the coral sea yet, 25 years ago when I lived in Cairns you could almost guarantee some sort of blow over the Christmas break . Where’s the La Niña atm is like where’s Wally in NQ.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Wed Thursday looks good.
3722 notes heavy showers 10 - 20mm.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

dazrain wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:08 am I always look at the official BOM forecast
I always look at the predictions & input from you guys here in the AWF. :D
I've stopped taking notice of anything those clueless clowns at the BOM have to say.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Skywalker wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:42 pm
dazrain wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:08 am I always look at the official BOM forecast
I always look at the predictions & input from you guys here in the AWF. :D
I've stopped taking notice of anything those clueless clowns at the BOM have to say.
Mods, can we include a "like" button or similar, so that we can endorse posts like this? 🤗🤗🤗
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

It's starting to look a lot like... La Nina (finally).

Heavy rain on the east coast, heavy rain through the west and a lot of moisture building over the top end.

Vic might have to wait though... Storm risk Tue onwards, but nothing locked-in (hopefully progs improve).
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Progs starting to show a substantial rain and storm system in the coming week. Been watching them wiggle, up but the two preferred models in gfs and EC are now on to this. New threads time :D

Nice mild to warm days in the south tending hot as you move away from the coast next few days. Perfect summer weather atm, alternating between rain events and warm sunshine :D

Dangerous system coming for Queensland and northern NSW. This deep low and long fetch gales or worse will drive a big surge and large waves onto the coast coinciding with the highest tides of the year. Brisbane and adjacent could well see the highest water level on record. Current warnings showing this could be 50cm above HAT which would be enough to put 2 feet of water into some of Brisbane lowest lying suburb :o The best they can really expect is widespread erosion and coastal flooding. The question is how bad it gets. Lots of warnings posted.

This is the type of flooding they now see on the highest tides of the year without a surge. This surge will likely be 10s of cm.

At the same time flooding rains onto the coast.