Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC - Strong fronts and possible low: May 7-12 2019

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Re: Strong fronts and possible low: May 7-12

Post by Skywalker »

phunkster wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:38 am Pea sized hail, torrential rain and loud thunder in the last half hour here - wonderful start to the day!
My work colleague just drove in that from Geelong. He said it was one of the scariest drives in he's ever done. Was driving along at 50km on the Princes Hwy at one stage. :o

Meanwhile 14mm recorded overnight at home. Pretty sure that's my first double figure result for the year. :D
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Gordon wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:32 am
A little uneasy about possible severe weather incoming (wind and rain). Not sure BOM are entirely across this given how it's playing out so far.
Just had a flood message on the Vic Emergency app for a location on the Old Melbourne Rd not far from here? Up to 39mm, MTD 118.5m so our 22 year May record broken and no sign of the rain letting up.
p
phunkster
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by phunkster »

Skywalker wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:08 am
phunkster wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:38 am Pea sized hail, torrential rain and loud thunder in the last half hour here - wonderful start to the day!
My work colleague just drove in that from Geelong. He said it was one of the scariest drives in he's ever done. Was driving along at 50km on the Princes Hwy at one stage. :o

Meanwhile 14mm recorded overnight at home. Pretty sure that's my first double figure result for the year. :D
I'd checked the guage at 7:30am and it was at 35mm (including Tuesday night's downpour), just checked again and it was an even 70mm, no wonder there's so many flooding incidents in the area!
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Amazing storm been anchored near the shore just south of Philip Island. In the last hour this has edged over land with a private station showing over 60mm and coming down currently at about 100mm/hr.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/ ... wx_pwsdash

Up to 3.8mm at home :?
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Congrats Gordon on the May record :applause:

A few daily May rainfall records have also fallen at the 9am bell. Current BoM obs has the surface low at 1010 hPa now around northern country moving NE. Part 2 with the drag and drop kicking in should move the outer convergence band north and slightly eastward. What a ripper system! :D
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Thanks for the congrats JS :).
hillybilly wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:22 am Amazing storm been anchored near the shore just south of Philip Island. In the last hour this has edged over land with a private station showing over 60mm and coming down currently at about 100mm/hr.
And still no BOM warnings for flash flooding or even flood watches? Roads around here are starting to get inundated in places. Neighbour at Millbrook has passed 150mm mtd.
A
Adam38
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Adam38 »

Absolutely hammering down now, my backyard is a lake.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

hillybilly wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:22 am Amazing storm been anchored near the shore just south of Philip Island. In the last hour this has edged over land with a private station showing over 60mm and coming down currently at about 100mm/hr.

That station is closing in on a 100mm rapidly
A
Adam38
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Adam38 »

I am surprise that no SWW has been issued this morning, a few private weather stations around Wyndham Vale have recorded 50-60mm this morning.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

JasmineStorm wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:48 am

That station is closing in on a 100mm rapidly
It's not far from the Desal plant. It would be ironic if it gets affected by the local flooding...
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

Nasty train storms heading to Avalon again
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Would it be safe to say it's all over for the eastern side of town? Sure look like it
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

Hmm, again the east misses out, this seems to be a pattern as I have lost count of the times we have been predicted heavy "all day" rain events and it did not happen. It certainly seems to be the new normal in recent times as the same has happened with thunderstorms.

I'd be curious to know why this is now a pattern, and why the weather forecasts still dont seem to pick this up and continually fail.?

Thought would hear rain in the early hours but it wasnt loud enough to even be heard.

Yes i am whining, but at the same time curious as to why the forecasts continually predict heavy rain for this area or storms in summer, but they never eventuate.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Another 12mm here so we've cracked 50mm for this rainband. Off to meetings now so no more reports from me for a few hours. Stay safe everyone!
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

To be fair James the heavy stuff hasn't really hit here yet either. We have been right on the edge of it since last night. Will be interesting to see what happens once things tend more southerly.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

Waited all freaking day and night for this band and now it's going back the other way?? Meh.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

We might get a last hurrah with the band now at Castlemaine. It'll probably evaporate in the rain shadow though.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Just missing that band here for now. Water temps in the Bays and Bass strait are currently 4 to 5c warmer than the air temp above it. That epic cell around Wonthaggi is a loving that soupy warm sea surface feed. The moisture advection machine will hopefully starts launching southerly water bombs off the bay with that nice upward motion.
A
Adam38
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Adam38 »

Water water everywhere, I can see water streaming off the hills and the market gardens I look over are starting to flood.
I don’t have a rain gauge yet but two private weather stations close to me have recorded 50-60mm since midnight. B.Marsh town centre is having issue with flooding apparently too.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

:D Nice change for dry old Bacchus Marsh :D
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m