Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC - Return of heat: Feb 24 to March 5

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Return of heat: Feb 24 to March 5

Post by QldTwister »

Awesome Beach day yesterday hot sunny with stroms over the bay and prefect temps and light breeze in the evening

Bay temp also nice and warm loving it

Heading back out for another arvo evening at the beach

Loving my 3 days ofsummer this will def be the last burst of high heat in Melb, bar maybe the odd spike day or to ahead of fronts.

Loving it, Summer its almost done were did it go this year so fast.

Dont worry rains will return in April
Bring on the heat and stroms
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Managed to fluke this shot last night from a slow moving cell, the lightning is coming down a rain shaft. I think it can be tweaked to look a bit better.
I quit after that and went to video, didnt want to push my luck. Pure fluke, after decades of trying using all sorts of kit. had the camera on auto mode, I was surprised it did so well. So much for years of researching settings. Mk 1 Eyeball did the trick.
2 1651.jpg
2 1651.jpg (473.75 KiB) Viewed 8403 times
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Fantastic shot Mick; not just the lightning but the cloud etc too. Very dynamic pic!
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Thanks mate, I may have to get someone to get rid of the powerlines tho, the bain of our lives.
S
SC.
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by SC. »

Great shot Mick! So jealous!
Matt

http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Shocker out there. Just blast furnace like again :roll:

That said, watching some big Cb's rolling in from the east. They are just east of the Dandenongs and moving west. Almost unheard of us to get storm from the east so not expecting anything, but have those fingers and toes crossed. Gardened frying, and 48 hour hours more heat to come.
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

very odd to be so hot but storms coming in off the mountain...starting some fires by the looks of it too! :o
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

I was wondering whether the storms east of here are getting higher or closer :D
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Ouch. Can hear it
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

According to my weather station which is normally very accurate we reached 41.3
currently 40 :x
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

Didjman wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:55 pm I was wondering whether the storms east of here are getting higher or closer :D

Absolutely looks like there might be a slight chance this bunch of storms could hold together Although I don’t think it is necessarily good news I think all we gonna get is possible new fires starting up
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

Topped out @ 40.3°C I expect, currently 38.7°C.

Horrid day out, especially as the nursing home where my partner is residing has a market, activities, entertainment etc till 8PM, all the food stalls are outside while inside the A/C is struggling with open doors and too many people.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Temps today in Tasmania: Ouse 37.8, King Island 34.8, Campania 34.7, Fingal 34.6, Cressy 34.2, Launceston 32.8, Scottsdale 31.5, Hobart 28.7
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Tassiedave wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:29 pm Temps today in Tasmania: Ouse 37.8, King Island 34.8, Campania 34.7, Fingal 34.6, Cressy 34.2, Launceston 32.8, Scottsdale 31.5, Hobart 28.7
0.2C off the Tasmanian March record :( Tomorrow looks a bit hotter, so another chance :roll:

Back in WA number of records also, and a near miss on the Australian record with 46.9C at Eucla (Carnarvon Airport 47.8C hold the record). I suspect the Eucla ob is a southern Australia record high for March, but haven't checked.

Chunky storms to me north and south, but in a gap in between. Geez would love something to give the garden some relief :(
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Was 41.4 in one room of my house..
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

didn't get a storm, but got a brilliant show of those converging rays opposite the sun. Anticrapuscular rays!
Last edited by Didjman on Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Heap of fires started out towards Bunyip this arvo and one has really run and is over 400hPa. Not good as that area is rugged and the forest is quite continuous so will take some effort to contain :? Here’s a photo I took of it from Belgrave South.

Down in Walkerville where it’s a tiny bit cooler at about 22C. Driving down when through a torrential storm near Tooradin. White out conditions over a stretch of about 5km. Would guess locally about 10mm. Before it the car was showing 35C, under it 20C and after it 33C :o

Hot tomorrow but probably a touch cooler than today. The cold air in the Tasman has wrapped completely around the big high, and we now have cold air advection in northerlies. That will cap convection more tomorrow, and probably take a shade off temperatures. Looking like an arvo change Sunday with some sparse showers and storms.

Strong front for late Tuesday into Wednesday. Should be some moderate to heavy falls near the coast and for areas east of about melbourne (but that could still disappear, I guess). So need a break from the dry and heat :o

Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by QldTwister »

Another magical day down by the Bay, again today, then an evening heavy shower and amazing sunset was just unreal, classic summers day and stroms coming from the east was a sight for sore eyes.
Felt like a summers day on the N NSW coast, with storms coming off the ranges and dieing on the coast

Awesome Day and dam the beaches around Edithvale Bonbeach are nice and the water so clear and warm

Sucks gotta work Sat and Sun prob was my last hot beach day of the summer.

With the E NE winds the nights are so nice outside.
Bring on the heat and stroms
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

QldTwister wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:18 pm
Not sure many Melbournians would think the hottest night on record for March makes for a nice night (at a guess about half of Melbourne’s population have not seen a hotter night in March).

Numerous fires around. Big concerns around Bunyip where they’ve been water bombing through the night.

Meanwhile, hot today, Sunday and now Monday. Not out of the question that Melbourne could reach 35C on each day now.

Rain Tuesday and Wednesday, but looks like mainly missing most western areas.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

hillybilly wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:16 am
QldTwister wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:18 pm
Not sure many Melbournians would think the hottest night on record for March makes for a nice night (at a guess about half of Melbourne’s population have not seen a hotter night in March).

Numerous fires around. Big concerns around Bunyip where they’ve been water bombing through the night.

Meanwhile, hot today, Sunday and now Monday. Not out of the question that Melbourne could reach 35C on each day now.

Rain Tuesday and Wednesday, but looks like mainly missing most western areas.
Hottest March night on record? Got down to 22.3 last night and was 22.6 night before. But record is 26.5 on 13 March 2013???

A lot of places fell to 17 or 18. Hardly record breaking
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes