Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic - Sequence of fronts ending with cold mornings: June 22-July 2 2017

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: Sequence of fronts: June 22-

Post by hillybilly »

Chilly one here today with overcast skies and a wintery nwly. Max of just 7.2C after a min of 3.6C.

Front inbound. Hoping it thickens up a bit, and we manage to sneak up to 50m for the month.

Went for a walk this morning and creeks here are really low now. They should be running well, but are barely a trickle :x They ran well through summer, so been dropping when they should be increasing.

On and off system for Thursday has downgraded across the models. EC had around 20mm on the last couple of runs, and now back to a mm or two.

Good to see a bit in Tasmania (Tassiedave). Shocker of a month down there in central and eastern areas.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Seems like people have given up on Vic weather for June :partcloud: :?

Picked up 3.4mm her overnight, pretty much as expected by the Progs. Was hoping for a few mms more but not to be. MTD about 40mm now. Comfortably above our record low. Thinking we could pick up a mm or two today with a foggy morning and swly flow.

Few ok falls in South Gippsland and the the upper Yarra Valley, but otherwise just dribbles. Looks like a few cms of snow at Baw Baw, Lake Mt and Mt Buller.

System for Wednesday and Thursday looks a bit better across most the models. GFS is getting quite excited with locally more than 20mm, but most models more like 5mm.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

2.8mm's in the 24 hours to 9am and another 2.4mm's 'since then.
MTD now 26.4mm's
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

a torrential 1.6mm over the weekend brings the monthly total to 4.6mm. 4 days left with the 144 year June record of 13mm in sight now for Kyneton.

The fronts are trying their best to break down this ridge but I think its going to take a few more to truly open the south pole ice chest. IMO the strongest in the short term is still early July but who knows really with this epic ridge. The ridge has basically severed any link to northern moisture ATM. Can't ever remember not having a north west cloud band by July.

The next major 46 day EC 51 member ensemble run tomorrow evening is what I'm waiting for. In early June, it picked up how strong this ridge was a month out, where the big individual models underestimated its strength in short term runs.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

I think today counts as the first proper winter day this year. Low cloud and frequent drizzle with the maximum temperature only going just above 9 degrees so far.

Perfect day for dealing with this cold i got yesterday. It's somewhat soothing looking at drizzle out the window whilst in bed.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Yep, was wintery in Ferny Creek Stevco. 2.8mm more for us in Ferny Creek and a max of 6.7C. MTD scraped up to 48mm for us.

Wednesday/Thursday two front sequence still holding. Looks like 5-15mm in the south, perhaps up to 5mm in the north.

Hard to believe but Progs are keen on a proper system next week... first in a month :o
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

A gloomy end of June day, sitting around 7c. Might get a couple of mm tomorrow but the dry record looks locked in now. I'm seeing a ripper frost Saturday morning....I'm thinking around -3c to -5c around here if that high sits in the right spot.

All the models are now agreeing a heap of cold air from next week. Moisture is still questionable but its going to be cold!

http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... 67#p100767
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Cloud has hung around all day. 9.5c max so far and it could be our first single figure max for 2017.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

2nd day in a row where temp has failed to get to 11 degrees here. 10.7 yesterday (thanks to frequent showers and low cloud), and 10.5 today so far thanks to a cold start and cloud moving in just on time this morning.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

7.6C here today under cloudy skies. Trough sitting on the wet coast will very slowly push across, then a proper front for Thursday but moisture starved. Thinking we should still squeeze another 5-10mm before the month ends here. Northern areas will get bugger all :roll:

Pretty likely Vic will have its driest June since records start in 1900 :? Hard to recall a winter month so lacking of weather :(

More normal weather returns next week.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

hillybilly wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:14 pm Pretty likely Vic will have its driest June since records start in 1900 :? Hard to recall a winter month so lacking of weather :(
It's certainly been very dry, and I'm going to go as far as saying that this has been the most uneventful & boring year of weather to date that I've experienced. :(
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

9.2 degrees here today, finally a maximum below 10 this year! Matches well with our huge tally of 11 nights below 0 :D

And to me it's actually felt like a very warm June for maximums, but just looking at the long-term average and we're running a mere 0.2° above the average. The nights are running 3.3° below average for June.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Wow its a long way off but ACCESS G points to low level snow in Tassie next Friday!!
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Tassiedave wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:40 pm Wow its a long way off but ACCESS G points to low level snow in Tassie next Friday!!
I just saw a post saying down to 200m this thursday/friday...
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

7c degrees here, wont get too much higher. Fairly normal temps now except no moisture. Next front doesn't look like its moisture will get over the divide again. 4.6mm for the month, might even get to 5mm :) Never thought I'd see that in my lifetime for June in Kyneton.

Next week is still lining up. We might be able to look at weather observations without yawning :)
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Interesting snapshot of the current global temps compared to the 1979-2000 baseline. Antarctica is now going off the scale compared to normal. The polar vortex is going blow a pressure valve in the next 4 weeks IMO.
Attachments
World temps June 27.jpg
World temps June 27.jpg (179.97 KiB) Viewed 7874 times
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Cool and cloudy here today, but dry again. Looks like 5 maybe 10mm to wrap up a crap month weather wise. We've got lucky compared with most areas too :o

Next weeks system is solid, but really the sort of pattern we should be getting weekly, not one every month or two.

Meanwhile, a nice upper low in SA which will mostly die, but delivering decent rainfall locally under slow moving showers.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

1.8mm overnight which is a bit of a surprised. Puts our MTD on 50mm.

Front today, but not packing much moisture. Maybe 5-10mm locally in the south, but dribbles in the north.

Models killing next weeks system on the latest runs :( :o :? :x
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

A break in the clouds let the temperature dip to about 5 degrees this morning, compared with 8s and 9s in most of Melbourne.

I think Saturday and Sunday morning will be interesting in terms of low minimums and frosts, provided the stupid cloud cover doesn't ruin the party.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

0.2mm of dew has got me to 4.8mm for the month. A bit foggy on sunrise this morning but now its just a gloomy 5c. Last chance for a drop of rain tonight but if I get a mil I'd be surprised.

Saturday's frost map is enormous. The 1032 hPa high looks like its going to positioning itself in a perfect spot for -4c here.
Attachments
July 1st frost.jpg
July 1st frost.jpg (89.66 KiB) Viewed 7704 times