Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Perth/WA - Day to Day Weather Talk

Event discussion and analysis for southern Western Australia, including day to day weather.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Perth/WA General Weather

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Awesome stuff Chris!! I must say they do get they're fair share of waterspouts over there. Bit similar to the E Coast in light convective conditions.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Should see a significant increase of weather as a cold pool oves up on a SSE change tonight into tomorrow. Rain and storms with falls up to 40mm likely in the SWLD.

Perth looking at around 25mm and pretty wet conditions developing tomorrow.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
brayden
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Any day weather Obs/discussion for WA

Post by brayden »

Hey all,
Thought I'd make up an any day weather for WA thread. Just to let ya know that the forecasted max temp for Albany today was 28c, at the Ap max has gone to 36.0C at 1016am lol. The N wind has deff. pumped it up. Looking forward to rain at the station later
"I'm in with the sane, does that make me Insane?"
"I lycra like that"
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: Any day weather Obs/discussion for WA

Post by Blackee »

Happy New Year to you Brayden!!
Almost fell off me chair when I saw rain forecast for Perth! :P :P
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

IDW28500
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Western Australia

ROAD WEATHER ALERT
Issued at 8:40 am WST on Wednesday, 5 January 2011

Rain, heavy at times, will make driving conditions hazardous today.
brayden
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by brayden »

You too Wes!
The west deff. needs it hey. Just keeps getting hotter here at the Albany Ap station max is now 38.9c at 11.17am. Just waiting for the rain around Margs. river/Bunbury to come here
"I'm in with the sane, does that make me Insane?"
"I lycra like that"
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Looking good Brayden!

The whole bloody country is lighting up like a Chrissy tree (except the southern states)
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

FEb 28th 2011

Forecast Path of tropical cyclone Low

Further details at
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDW60281.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

crikey
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by crikey »

WA's south west records its driest year
Tuesday March 1, 2011 - 16:03 EDT
ABC image
People have flocked to beaches as the hot weather continues relentlessly - ABC
The Bureau of Meteorology's annual climate summary shows Western Australia's south-west has had its driest year on record.

The report shows that 2010 was Australia's second wettest year since national rainfall records began in 1900.
But, WA saw an average rainfall for the year of just 395 millimetres for the area south-west of a line from Jurien Bay to Bremer Bay.
The bureau's Glenn Cook says the decrease in rain is part of a wider trend.
"We have seen declining rainfall in south-west WA over the last 30 or 40 years, and so the trend seems to continue in that region of WA," he said.
Dams in the south west are well below capacity after a dry winter and a record number of hot days in February.
The Water Corporation says it has used a number of strategies to cope with diminishing water supplies in the region, including water carting.
Waroona Dam is at six per cent capacity, Balingup Dam is at 10 per cent and Harvey and Logue Brook dams are about 20 per cent full.

- ABC
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by crikey »

Small cotton wool cloud formation has formed NW of WA out to sea as seen by satellite pic
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/australasia_IR.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also infra red image from 28 storms
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic2/real ... irngms.GIF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If a low is developing there and heaven forbid a cyclone then the trough line will extend northward up to it? Making it one very long trough line?
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

From Perthnow http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 6025902639

TOODYAY, 86km east of Perth, has been battered by a wild thunderstorm overnight.

Flooding and storm debris has also closed several roads in the Toodyay area after the town received a 50mm deluge last night.

Heavy rainfall has caused localised flooding in the town and traffic heading west into Perth should proceed with caution as there has been some flood damage to local roads. FESA said in some areas up to 50mm of rain fell in 15 minutes last night. Debris is also strewn on some roads and motorists have been advised to drive with caution.

Toodyay Shire President Kevin Hogg told Perthnow this morning that he was aware of at least four homes that had been damaged by the storm, which hit the town, 86km east of Perth, about 8pm.

“We’ve got crews out and about assessing the damage, I’ve had a look myself too,” Mr Hogg said.

“So far we know of at least of four homes that have been impacted, through flooding or roofs lost.

“Fences, sheds, tanks…have been lost.

“The flooding has subsided now.

“Two houses have at least lost roofing…with the daylight we’ll be able to assess that more."

Mr Hogg said Western Power crews were working to restore power to many homes in the area.

Western Power said the lightning storm in area cut power to nearly 900 properties.

The lightning damaged power lines, poles and other electrical equipment in the region.

As Toodyay is located in a high fire risk area Western Power is patrolling all lines before re-energising them to ensure the lines are clear of debris.

Power should be restored throughout the morning.
A number of roads have been closed due to fallen branches, debris and flooding including:

· River Road cross of Julimar Road

· Folewood Road cross of Sandplain Road

· Morangup Road cross of Lovers Lane

· Lovers Lane cross of Toodyay-Perth Road

· Picnic Hill Road cross of Toodyay West Road

· Picnic Hill cross of Bindi Bindi Road

· Phillips Road cross of Coondle Road west

· Phillips Road cross of Bindoon Dewars Pool Road

Residents have been told to stay away from flooded drains, rivers, streams and waterways.
FuManchu
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FuManchu »

That storm really looked like weakenming but then slammed nto another cell coming the otherway and it it just exploded over Toodyay.
I'll see if I can find the loop.
FuManchu
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FuManchu »

Here tis
http://radar.strikeone.net.au/?fuseacti ... 1300726800" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Thanks Fu! Wow, really intensified quickly then dissolved into nothing just after Toodyay, didn't it?

Hope all's well over there for you guys :)
FuManchu
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FuManchu »

Well it is a bit sucky. Not much weather unless we get our lazy bums out into the wheatbelt :lol: Good cells though. The NW is going stupid. I think there are some pics on our Northern section showing some of the damage thanks to Simon :)
Not Simon doing the damage, but the big wet :lol: Although Simon is not allowed back to some places up there. :lol:
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

:laughing: That Simon, can't take him anywhere :P Yes, Fu, some incredible weather up northern areas, but Perth still feeling rather parched.
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by crikey »

Tropical low near NT/ WA border NW out at sea. Just a hint of clockwise rotation on B & W sat pic animated.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/satellite/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOM has issued a watch
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDW24000.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by crikey »

Double band / line of thunderstorms atm ( sunday april 24th) . Observation 6.30pm
South west WA and ocean
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/radar.jsp ... try&lc=aus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

Some nice falls for our WA friends.

Some decent rain but it's drying out already
Micaela Weber, Wednesday May 18, 2011 - 16:04 EST
A low pressure trough and associated cold front have finally brought some decent falls to the dry southwest corner of Australia.

An upper level feature has brought isolated showers since late Sunday, but the falls have been heaviest over the last 24 hours.

Hopetoun North in the Southern Coastal district saw 43mm overnight, which is more than their average rainfall for May of 36mm. It is also their wettest day since September last year.

The rain has not been massive across the Central Wheatbelt, but it was enough for many places to see their wettest day in a few months.

Narembeen recorded 20mm to 9am, their wettest day since January this year. Hines Hill to the north amassed 52mm, their heaviest rain for May since records began in 1915.

Well known places such as Merredin or Northam both had falls of up to 16mm and their heaviest rain since February.

A high is already clearing much of the southwest, pushing the cold front into South Australia. The tail end of the front could bring a few light showers tonight but these will mainly affect the Southeast Coastal district and western parts of the Eucla.

- Weatherzone

© Weatherzone 2011
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
K
Ken
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Ken »

Report of a small tornado southeast of Perth as the current cold front swept through this morning:
http://www.perthnow.com.au/weather-fore ... 6059475452