Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

27 Jan onwards - settled and mild

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

27 Jan onwards - settled and mild

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Well I don't know what to say about this current set up. Pretty boring weather but at the same time, not extreme so I suppose good for people who aren't interested in severe weather! It would be nice to get a bit more rain, things will dry out a bit if the current forecast is right. Hopefully no hot days in the coming weeks...interesting to get some of your thoughts on the current set up and what you are expecting for February.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: 27 Jan onwards - settled and mild

Post by hillybilly »

Seems like the weather has been put on hold. Nothing much set to change for a week. Low gets close late in the week but stalls too far east. Shame as it's just starting to dry out again here after great rain mid month.

Main things to watch for - a little low/cyclonic curvature feature tucked in the western part of the low for the weekend. Models have been on/and off with this. If it happens will see showers in central Vic.

Possible easterly dip early next week. Progs are tending to keep it north of us, but not by a lot.

Meanwhile - cold up here today. Just 13C currently, and got the wood fire on (lots of branches to burn from the hot windy day a few weeks back) :P
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Yes I guess if we can't have rain, I'll settle for cool. Looking very much like we'll come in under January average for both max & min temps. And like most we're already above average for rain, so a good start for 2015.

We'd definitely enjoy a surprise shower or two before the end of the month though if that can be arranged :) !
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

A perfect summer's day for working outside today I reckon, though the wind was a tad gusty at times.
I wish the BOM would sort out their radar, the interference is shocking , looks as if there's showers all over the region. :x
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Still nothing in the models in terms of rain really maybe a few drops Sunday, end of EC running becoming hotter ie mid 30s
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

I suppose you could say it's finally settled into a more typical summer pattern now. High pressure dominance down here, with the odd cyclone or two spinning around up north sucking all the moisture away from us. The odd ECL in the Tasman mostly just affecting eastern Vic, shame it's not a couple of hundred Km's further west, it could have pretty well ended our bushfire season if it gave us a good soaking this week. As it is, if it heats up as this month progresses things are going to be a bit too dry in a couple of weeks. Big rain event required in about 2 weeks from now please. :)
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

Good afternoon all
That's intense low is tantalisingly close to affecting our weather here in Melbourne
The radar looks somewhat hopeful
http://realtime2.bsch.au.com/vis_sat2.h ... &stop=#nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Wilko » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:31 pm wrote:
Wilko wrote:Good afternoon all
That's intense low is tantalisingly close to affecting our weather here in Melbourne
The radar looks somewhat hopeful
http://realtime2.bsch.au.com/vis_sat2.h ... &stop=#nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah I saw that. Very contradictory to the title of this forum haha.

I suppose it will give us something to do and not be bored the next couple of days.

My rainfall guess for this event is 0.8mm - 2.4mm :P
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
d
dazrain
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by dazrain »

Melbourne's max today is 22.2

......In honour of Richie!
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Watching that low throw up showers which keep,dying just southeast of here. Pretty common pattern for us... We can get rain from the southeast, but more often miss. One heavy shower is currently quite close so slightly hopeful ;)

Getting notably dry here now. Grass yellowing/drying quickly on the slopes. Would really like some rain.

Pretty good chance for the odd shower or drizzle patch here each of the next five days but also could be fine our nearly so.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Decent shower here now hillybilly, quite heavy. Only a narrow band but gives hope of more to come. :D
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Would be nice to have a bit more rain because the summer heat sets in. I hope we are still not having heat into April like last year
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

An even 1 mm here overnight, and still only 11 C. I guess every day we have like this brings us one day closer to the end of summer and the end of the potential for extreme heat.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Watching the large wrap around coming up to Tassie and thinking it may just graze us in central Vic. If only the ECL could just wobble a bit closer tomorrow.
Well, I've been back from the UK for a week now, and haven't needed to put on a hat yet, and have needed a jacket first thing every morning.
Amazing that there are quite a few trees starting to show autumn colours already around here, and in the Yarra Valley, unbelievable for late January! :o
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Yeah I feel a little disappointed in the lack of hot weather overfall because I know soon enough we will be complaining about the winter chill returning, but it is good overall for bushfire risk which is a big plus and has been a while to see green grass around this area at the end of jan :). Has been around mid/high 20's each day for a while here so no complaints with that and nights have been pretty chilly so good sleeping weather but would be pretty cool for those in the south and along the coast I'd bet. Will still be a good burst of heat before summer ends though. :)

Rhino. :) :)
j
jimmyay
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by jimmyay »

This is my third summer in Vic after moving here from UK. Is this weather really abnormal for January,or is it in keeping with summers from time to time?

I know the last 2 have been hot summers, should i be expecting cool summers like this too ? How much variability is there between years in the summer? Seems to have been much cloudier this summer as well. On the other hand, spring was amazingly sunny and warm this year.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

jimmyay » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:32 pm wrote:
jimmyay wrote:This is my third summer in Vic after moving here from UK. Is this weather really abnormal for January,or is it in keeping with summers from time to time?

I know the last 2 have been hot summers, should i be expecting cool summers like this too ? How much variability is there between years in the summer? Seems to have been much cloudier this summer as well. On the other hand, spring was amazingly sunny and warm this year.
Let me tell you to get two summers like that in a row is very rare.

This is a typical summer.

It really is topsy turvy usually.

In saying that, the bom just announced it is the coolest late January week in 15 years.

That has something to do with the new weather station too which is more accurate.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

jimmyay » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:32 pm wrote:
jimmyay wrote:This is my third summer in Vic after moving here from UK. Is this weather really abnormal for January,or is it in keeping with summers from time to time?

Well you never really know what Summer will bring here in Melbourne, any year for that matter.
Every year is different, that's what I love about it.

This Summer is definitely not what I would call normal. Melbourne is both hot and mild in summer, but this years prolonged cooler days in row and cloudy weather is not exactly normal, we usually have hot days breaking up the milder weather and lots of Sun.
Ask our neighbours in Adelaide, it's definitely been cooler for them also, as we share similar weather just a tad cooler when it arrives here.

Who knows we may still have a scorching Feb and a hot March. It's definitely happened before.

Conditions over the last week or so have reminded me of my time when I was living in London. However this Summer would still be warm in English standards.

I have been enjoying the weather the last few days mild and sunny, I can't complain... Hanging for some beach days though, next weekend may deliver.
j
jimmyay
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by jimmyay »

Yes, has felt a bit like a warmish London summer this jan. I quite like to be honest, the spike days here last year did my head in a bit ha ha! :) I suppose there's still time for all that. I love the bonkers Melbourne weather!
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Just started raining here in Olinda at 1230, radar shows it 10km south of here, but it's definitely here. 14.3C and grey and autumnal. :)