Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC - Weather over Easter 6th to 10th April

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

VIC - Weather over Easter 6th to 10th April

Post by Rivergirl »

Just starting this thread for the Easter period.

Friday looks warm with a max of 30 deg C predicted in Melbourne before an afternoon change with a few showers and the northerly winds turning westerly. After Friday temps only reaching 19 deg C
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Re: VIC - Weather over Easter 6th to 10th April

Post by aussiestormfreak »

Well done Rivergirl for starting the new topic! :)

Looks like a rather wintry cold front is set to rip across Victoria on Friday into Saturday. A warm to hot northerly airflow sweeps across the State ahead of the front (accompanied by showers and possible thunderstorms... hopefully severe) before the next cold outbreak of the season arrives, bringing blustery, showery conditions with alpine snow and sleet early next week, maybe even local hail and thunder, and perhaps a light frost up in the Northeast once winds moderate?

Maximum temperatures should hit around 33-34C in the Mallee country on Friday (is this our last warm spell/heatwave for the season?), but by next Monday it'll be hovering around the freezing mark in the Alpine region... what a contrast! :o

Heading to Corryong, Northeast Victoria this weekend so hopefully some Easter weather action (and some nice deciduous autumn foliage colour) :)

Happy Easter everybody!! :D
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Things look like getting real interesting on Monday to Wednesday with a possible cut-off low ripping in off the Bight which then parks itself over Vic.
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

Yeah finally something to get mildly excited about :) . Looks damn cold later part of the weekend into early next week with some nice showers over sth areas but hoping for some bang and crash with the change friday, have'nt checked models yet so will see.

Rhino. :) :)
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

bsch.com storm forecasts arn't showing anything to much is terms of storms. I'm leaving tomorrow for NE vic until easter so a mixed bag of weather is being forecast: sunny and hot, hot with showers and storms, cold and showers and just cold and cloudy hahaha :) :)
Go the bombersss!
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Interesting stuff approaching.

Apologies for the lack of input on here and on the website re forecasts, Internet is having major problems, not just with us but our local region, not sure why. Meant to be fixed in the next day or so.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Some cooking 850HPa temps over the continent atm, and a fair bit of this looks like mixing down over us before the front. But with no moist infeed due to the MJO pulse over Fiji (a developing weak ElNino perhaps?), it looks like a dry cool change for most of the state.

This extended dry and warm spell isn't all that unusual for April though. See 1981 (especially), 1993, 2002, 2004, and 2005 for example. If this year is a repeat of 1981, then the ski resorts will be happy in August!
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

:bunnydance: Have a HAPPY EASTER AWF'ers :bunnydance:

Jake I hope your internet is fixed soon
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Still using my iPads Internet.

Looking at the risk of some isolated thunderstorms tomorrow with the advancing cold front, which should move into the southwest during the afternoon, reaching central parts during the evening and the east at night. Warm ahead of it which should help convection kick up in the relatively unstable set-up and hopefully the cold front can force enough uplift to make up for a lack of moisture readily available. Risk is for anywhere really, but more likely in the southwest near the front in the afternoon and on the eastern and northeast ranges in the afternoon.

Looking forward to some showers and colder weather as well!!
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Some good looking storms to the west n :) going to be a very interesting arvo ;)
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Yes, first line starting to throw out lightning now as it crosses Warrnambool, and that second line is very lightning active crossing the border. Certainly is humid out there, hopefully it'll peak right over us!
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Storms even showing up in the radar hole around Horsham and northwards. Get your camera ready Rikki. !!! :thumbsup:
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

I'm on my way down to rosebud, any chance those storms will make it that far? Do they usually die over the bay or intensify?
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Meso wrote:I'm on my way down to rosebud, any chance those storms will make it that far? Do they usually die over the bay or intensify?
Will largely depend on timing Meso, but with Bay temps around 20c it should be warm enough to give any storms a boost I think.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

There's two lines, so that's gotta be increase the chances. Got the camera ready anyway :D
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

About bloody time we got something!!!! Fingers tightly crossed for extreme lightning :lighting:
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

I'm at mt Martha and noticed we didn't get the forecast temp of 30. There is a lovely sea breeze and it's warm. Completely overcast now and some interesting clouds coming over the bay
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Just got back home from the Cuckoo in Mt Dandenong. It felt like it was in the low 20s with a nice breeze. Saw heaps of clouds on the way but they weren't those stormy clouds. Anyway hopefully we get some storms here in Templestowe in a couple of hours. The weather guy on ch 7 kept saying that we'll expect them around 6pm.
Last edited by 93ben on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by wolfcat »

For people in the Central and parts of the Mallee, South West, Northern Country, North Central and Wimmera Forecast Districts.

Issued at 3:49 pm Friday, 6 April 2012.

Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Warrnambool, Ballarat, Bendigo, Maryborough, Geelong and Melbourne.
S
SC.
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by SC. »

Aus Twisted might get a nice Birthday present with that cool change coming through, looks promising.
Matt

http://vintagemoviepostersforum.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;