Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Day to Day Weather Talk

Event discussion and analysis for Victoria and Tasmania, including day to day weather.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Day to Day weather talk

Post by Macedonian »

Great feb day here in Macedon, 8.5C to 19.5C, felt colder because the breeze was pretty strong all day.
Nice change from all the hot nights we were getting recently. wish we had some of the rain that the north-east received.
It must be looking amazing up around Mansfield and the King and Ovens Valleys this Summer.
I see that Melbournes average is 29.1C for this month so far, to me, that is a Summer. Wouldnt want it to be any hotter than that. It is actually exactly 1C hotter than last February(09) and a little less than 1C hotter than January 09 :o I am surprised by that, Last summer seemed WAY worse than this one. Must have been more variation in the maxs last year. That and the fact that we have had good rain this year compared to 09.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Any guesses on what March will bring guys? As I said earlier, I think wind will be the major player - might get some very fast moving cool changes that could wreak havoc. Might also have a couple of half decent rain events, will depend on cyclonic activity.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

After the horrendous first week of Feb 09 i was thankful not to get a +35C day for the rest of of that month.I hope we dont see another one until Jan 2011.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Widespread morning fog cleared to a fine and sunny day with light winds. Temperature got to around 24 as a maximum. :thumbsup:
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Fine and sunny day.
Very autumal conditions with a stiff breeze that developed after lunch.
Looking forward to warmer conditions tomorrow and Friday. :thumbsup:
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Too hot..over it. Morning was perfect, almost had me looking for my jumper at 4.30am at work. Actually, yesterday was freezing in the morning. I like those temps, 23 is about the cut off point.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by norfolk »

the sun was beautiful today, made it feel nice and warm, despite the fact it was low 20's. This afternoon breeze has a punch to it....a cool punch that is!!!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

It is getting quite chilly, you can definitely feel the change in season happening, can't you? Don't know about winter-like though, I haven't found it that cold yet!
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Personally, today is a perfect day, as was yesterday. This is why I love melbourne's climate - you have very hot summers, but the change to cooler times is usually definite and noticable. That's what makes it a non-tropical climate.
There's not much more pleasing to me than a crisp cool morning with mid-20's days.

Sorry, but if anyone feels so strongly about our 'crap' climate, then move to Cairns. Whinging wont be missed. :pityparty:
Last edited by daviescr on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

I love cool nights during summer. It means that we can all sleep and use less power on cooling ourselves.
A 10c to 12c min up to a 28c to 32c max is pretty much ideal summer condtions.
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Sleeping like a baby at the moment, it is sensational. 7C yesterday morning and similar this morning. It was a nice feel to walk outside and breathe in the freezing air. Bodes well for storms later in the week as the uppers are still rather cold.

Anyhow, should top out at 25C today in Melbourne and up to 28C later in the outer suburbs. SE winds should freshen over the coming few hours.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

yeah SAB, whatever you say. I'm glad to have brightened your hideous, miserable day. It's so interesting how different your reality is to most other people.

As you have repeated ad nauseum over the last few days - you don't like cold weather. Suck it up and quit annoying everyone else by whinging about it.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Exactly my point kiddo. You're being very defensive of what I have challenged in you - obviously a sore point. You seem to have a very short memory my friend, and are completely missing my point.

Enjoy the next few weeks of warmer weather - after all it's going to be long dark winter in our 'sub arctic' climate ;)
D
Dez
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Dez »

Is it just me or are the thin clouds to the east of my house red? Is it dust or the angle of sunlight or something?
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Morning cloud and fog cleared to a fine and mostly sunny day with light winds. Temperature reached to around 27 degrees with no seabreeze here this afternoon. A lovely day :)
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Feel free to take me to task if I'm wrong but I don't see a 34C for Melbourne tomorrow. Looking a lot more like 32C to me. 850T for Melbourne is in the mid teens for most of the day and the sun is not as strong now as it would be in mid summer so I'm not sure the +17C rule holds as well now as it would in January. BOM have a history of not picking the seasonal transition with their forecasts, they often get caught out with hot days in early spring and cooler days in early Autumn.
D
Dez
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Dez »

Yeah that was it. It stayed there for quite a while though.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Areas of smoke will be obscuring the sky from the get go tomorrow as we have shifted into a NE drift. Could see some local fog in some parts too.

Melbourne has had one of the better summers for a long while. I love that we have not had hot days, nor had major fire outbreaks. We have had a fair few hot days, but the humidity has been the big cause of the heat and warmth.

Chris I agree with you, it has been a drawn out hot summer, but I think mostly because of the high humidity.

I hate hot summers in general, I wish it were cold, sub artic with blinding rain, NW gales and windchill factors of -2C. This isn't the desert afterall!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
R
Rhys_34
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Rhys_34 »

Oh hell yeah Karl, Melbourne at it's latitude is certainly not meant to experience 6 month long summers with 35C being recorded anywhere from Mid-October to Mid-April, that would just be horrendous! 5 months olf cool-cold weather (May-September), 4 months of cool-mild weather (October, November, March and April) and 3 months of warm-hot weather (December, January and February) would just be about perfect for me! If anyone doesn't like the 4 distinct seasons down here maybe they should move to North QLD!
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Nicely summed up Rhys!! That is what I signed when I entered this earth and landed in Melbourne!!!

A nice day today. Still just under 30C with a N wind, the humidity should increase later from the north and perhaps a bit of cloud developing over the ranges to the north of Melbourne.