Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic - Unstable with weak trough. Mar 11 - 16th.

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
W
WaterBaby
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Vic - Unstable with weak trough. Mar 11 - 14th.

Post by WaterBaby »

This one that has formed within a few km's of us looks as if it's heading Deni way.
We ALWAYS miss the storms! They always go around us.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Sporodic rain spurts over past hour seem to have finished now, a great event (> 15mm rain this evening). Maybe I might get woken up by another 1-2mm in the band following overnight as seen on VicRadarLoop?

Mind you, we are MORE than happy with what we got this evening!!!!! :D :D :D
s
schitzengiggles
Reactions:

Post by schitzengiggles »

Just got home after being out all afternoon, 8mm in the gauge and the garden has gone absolutely nuts. New sprouts everywhere.
Last edited by daviescr on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to remove offensive content
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Was down the road at a kids 1st b'day party. Imagine the scene, bright blue skies, lovely warm breeze and about 15 toddlers crawling around eating millipedes and grass. I'm sitting there enjoying a beer, when someone asks me "I hear we might have a few showers today". I reply '45 minutes from now we will be ankle deep in water'. I was kinda taking the mickey, had left my crackberry at home by mistake and hadn't checked the radar since about 10am. Not a clue.

But right on cue it came, and totally killed the party. House was way too small for all those kids and associated family... Sure enough their back yard was awash, gutters overflowing. Lovely surprise to actually be right for once without trying@
Got home (about 2kms as the crow flies) and was stunned to see it registering 39.5mm in 40 minutes. A few brief showers since have topped it off to 41mm straight, taking me to 53.5 MTD.
T
Twister
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Twister »

Was at the rave today and got soaked but think maybe 10mm max most of it was drizzle and mist

Home at Syndal only 8mm as well yet lots of dry roads from city to here

Amazed at the 20-40mm falls to my N NE looks like really missed out here
Now Living in Wet QLD
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

19.2mm here all up, what an amazing drop. Not sure why no models really had more than a couple of mm as it was clear it would be an afternoon change a couple of days ago coupled with high humidity up to 700HPA...

In any case we saw it unfold early and were proven right again. A lot of falls between 20-40mm through Central areas, a fantastic event.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Petethemoskeet »

Got another 21.4mm,takes our monthly total to 46mm.
A
Alexia
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Alexia »

Another 9mm rain overnight.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

A cool still and overcast morning, good for a sleep in.

16mm in gauge :D :D - 59mm for March so far (our average is met).

Cant see anything significant until at least 7-8 days time.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

"Was down the road at a kids 1st b'day party. Imagine the scene, bright blue skies, lovely warm breeze and about 15 toddlers crawling around eating millipedes and grass. I'm sitting there enjoying a beer"

Good to see some things dont change.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Had an inch of rain here in the storm yesterday. Lots of surface flash flooding. Bucketed down for a good half an hour. As the storm rolled in there was a lot of rotating scud and a few claps of thunder. Temp dropped from 30 to 20 in the matter of a couple of minutes.
e
eddie
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by eddie »

Was a little suprised to read someone saying about 41mm up the road from here but just checked the guage and it has 38mm in it from Yesterday, wow, the rain was nice and steady and lasted a while but suprised to get that much, came at the perfect time as well, our club had 3 teams in finals matches, all go through due to a washout :D Although 2 were likely to win on their own merits
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

An interesting point of note as observing this weak trough pass, is that there was reasonable rainfall whilst isobars were reading between 1015 and 1017hpas which is generally in the range of a high pressure zone. There has been some high isobar readings in the high cells. The latest synoptic chart showing a cell with a centre of 1033! behind the next change!
is that unusual for autumn or any season. not sure?
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

24mm was tipped out this morning from the little green gauge.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Well, there are a few more mm in the gauge, I haven't emptied it yet but it looks like between 2-3mm from drizzle last night. This puts us at between 8 and 9mm here for the system which is one of the lowest readings for the Macedon Ranges. Just a few km up the road there was almost 30mm which is quite a difference. I went up the mountain earlier and there are large puddles over some of the walking tracks.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Grey old day here, calm, tried to get warm for a while after lunch but 23C saw it out with heavier cloud and light ENE'ly mid arvo. Baro back up to 1016.

Played golf today and we are starting to get wet patches our there, been 10+ years since I've seen them. Its going to be the garden of eden out this way if we get some sun this week.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Finished with around 30mm here at home and 20mm back in Monbulk from the event. The storm threw out some random CGs, one knocking out the power in the Monbulk valleys late yesterday and frying a mobile tower in the area. Also a CG locally down this way, split a tree in half behind my cousins place so plenty of excitement about.

Looking towards the next system now.

Chance of storms tomorrow as well.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
mutley
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by mutley »

10mm with good garden growing rain for few hours. Missed out on the heavy stuff which past to about 10km to the North.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

hillybilly » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:24 pm wrote:
hillybilly wrote:
There has been some high isobar readings in the high cells. The latest synoptic chart showing a cell with a centre of 1033! behind the next change!
Typically March to June throws up the biggest highs so nothing unusual. The only odd thing about the weather ATM is the humidity thanks to the La Nina - with so much moisture you can still get decent falls with only weak forcing as we saw yesterday.

Glorious day up here but cripes the leeches are out in swarms. Picked about 10 off me today while gardening :P
How are the march flies in the Dandenongs David? There are quite a few of them around here this year, they clearly love greenery and moisture which we haven't seen much of at this time of year for some time.

Low cloud gathering about the place and covering the top of the mountain atm. Might be a foggy start tomorrow. Another sure sign of Autumn. Thanks to the La Nina I reckon we could get some near zero visibility mornings over the next couple of months.
Anthony Violi
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Anthony Violi »

Unstable today, nothing to do with La Nina..its all about how cold we are. Mid levels are cold and convection began before sunrise, if we get to 27 which i doubt we will should ensure a great afternoons entertainment again.
http://www.therealworldweatherforum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avweatherforecasts.com