Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Vic - Feb 22 to Mar 10 2017 - Hot start, mild middle, then a very warm to hot finish to summer

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Feb 22 to Mar 2 Hot start, mild middle, then a very warm to hot finish to summer

Post by stevco123 »

This was taken on Westernport Highway on my way to work
Attachments
20170302_065139.jpg
20170302_065139.jpg (490.15 KiB) Viewed 7590 times
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Feb 22 to Mar 2 Hot start, mild middle, then a very warm to hot finish to summer

Post by Macedonian »

16C at home on the mountain this morning and only 7C when i arrived at work in Macedon. Both sunny and calm. Big difference in temps.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

Can report fog here in the outer southwestern suburbs in Tarneit.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Looks like areas that aren't that built up (ie; outer suburbs) are getting the good ol' fog.

Shame Melbourne has become so built up due to this obsession with making it a big city. It has reduced fog days dramatically the last few years, and it also burns off a lot quicker.

When was the last time fog lingered the WHOLE day in the CBD?
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

First foggy morning out this way too for the ride into work. Conditions have been ideal on the bike this week. :D

As for summer here, one word....BORING! No storms, no real heatwaves, bugger all rain, nothing!

Now for the dreaded boring western suburban winter. :roll:
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

The fog on the Sat Pic looked like it rolled in from Bass strait into the coastal areas, so I would assume this would be an advection fog? With the humid air being moved by wind over cooler waters. I think this is a different type of event compared to a radiation fog more common in late Autumn and early winter.

Quite clear up here and heading towards 30c + again. Currently 27.6c

Is this the Grand Finale for summer? http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... 013#p99013
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Cant remember the last day fog lingered all day in the City Stevco.
I do remember two consecutive days in the 70's when the fog lingered all weekend.
Temperature did no t go higher than 7c on those two days the only time that Melbourne has had
two consecutive days below 7c.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Classic Melbourne summer weather with the seabreeze keeping a lid on temps in the CBD and bayside suburbs at about 20 degrees, whilst the outer suburbs "swelter" at 26-27
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Warm and Humid in Launceston with 28.1 degrees. Fingal in the North East the highest with 30.5 degrees. Trough approaching us - already an isolated storm cell on the East Coast near St Marys
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

I keep meaning to say thanks for the Tassie updates TD - great to get them.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Gordon wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:50 pm I keep meaning to say thanks for the Tassie updates TD - great to get them.

I agree with Gordon :)
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Indian summer is rolling on. Another day of 30C+ temps... Not unusual for early-March.

At least Feb 2017 had both below average Min and Max temps.

A bit of a worry with BOM suggesting an El-Nino is on the cards this year. I think that if we do have one, it won't be particularly strong.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

a lot of dew points already in the high teens down south. Might be another misty, foggy morning coming up down there.

Max of 28.4c here, southerly capped it beautifully. No excitement for the next 7 days either.....

In the background of this boredom, GFS keeps producing a big cold upper cut to SE OZ on March 13th. The last run an hour ago was an absolute beauty :) http://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php ... r=au&dpdt=
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Severe Thunderstorm approaching Launceston from the south
Screenshot 2017-03-02 19.14.14.png (356.69 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
Screenshot 2017-03-02 19.14.14.png (356.69 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Warm in FC, but down a few degrees on recent days. Also really humid - the fog rose up the hill then burnt off, but hazy all day. RH is currently nearly 90%.

Flew out of Tulla and was clear that the fog had mainly come in on the southeasterly which is why the southern suburbs really copped it.

Stinking hot here in Adelaide, but did get to see one decent storm which formed on the sea breeze/easterly convergence and just made it into the northern burbs. Shame about the CPA :roll: Like to claim I caught a UFO as well, but that's just a reflection.

Hoping for a bit more fog tomorrow and maybe a bit of drizzle back home as things are drying out with all this warm.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

I noticed a couple of anvils on the eastern horizon this afternoon, and I see on the radar there are some quite decent (though high based) thunderstorms moving up from the ranges towards Albury.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Heavy and very fine drizzle has set in here about half an hour ago. Along with light fog.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Foggy and drizzly morning in FC. 1.4mm so far and still dripping down.

Should see a bit more on Saturday and Sunday morning. Both arvos on the weekend are showing a bit of instability so couldn't rule out the odd thunder shower in central areas.

Lots of showers out east with a few decent falls clocking up in Gippsland.

Next week just brings warmth. EC has now killed the front next week with a replacement of highs. GFS and CMC still have something like a proper front.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Feb 22 to Mar 10 Hot start, mild middle, then a very warm to hot finish to summer

Post by JasmineStorm »

I've just extended the thread date to March 10, as the weather pattern remains pretty much the same until maybe a change around that date.

Same old weather up here for the next week at this stage.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Feb 22 to Mar 10 Hot start, mild middle, then a very warm to hot finish to summer

Post by JasmineStorm »

I noticed this morning that models weakened several southern ocean fronts over the next 10 days coming into mainland Oz. I've taken a closer look on nullschool and see there is a 1020 hPa high pressure system centred at 50 degree south of the Equator, south east of South Africa. They normally reside between 20 to 40 degrees (Hadley cell related). Unless something from the upper atmosphere can drop down and move things northward, I'm starting to get a feeling that this March maybe on the extreme side for dry and warmth in Victoria.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... 04,-50.060