Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Warm to hot and unstable: Feb 6 onwards

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Re: Warm to hot and unstable: Feb 6 onwards

Post by Skywalker »

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

Back to another week of weather boredom.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

Edit: 24 mm n Mansfield in 20 mins
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Inch.. Blackie, thats a good amount..
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Tornado for Shepparton?

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV65756.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"A particularly severe thunderstorm cell evident on radar is impacting Shepparton at present. There have been reports of a tornado close to touching down just west of Shepparton a few minutes ago.
There have been reports of hail damage to cars in the Colac/Cressy area associated with thunderstorm activity earlier in the day. Rainfall up to 28mm has been recorded at Whiteheads Creek and around 10-15mm through northern parts of the Melbourne metropolitan area."
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

I reckon there might have been another one near Yarrawonga going by doppler. Also in doppler history you can clearly see Shepparton tornado
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Impossible to tell from the radar loop as (wouldn't you know) it skips from 2.10pm to 4.00pm just at the critical time! :cussing: :roll:
5mm here from the showers, one flang (flash/bang) that stopped me in my tracks around 12.30pm and forced me to stop work. Would have liked a bit more, but a handy top up nonetheless. Much cooler now, will be nice to have a comfy nights sleep again! :)
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

There was definitely strong rotation in that thunderstorm which is clearly evident on Doppler imagery. You can see where the tornado most likely formed, though worth to note I haven't read any confirmed reports of it actually touching down. Will have to wait for more details. But ... it's good to hear the media reporting it as a "tornado" rather than the misused "mini-tornado" term - the media picked it up from a Twitter post the BoM made about it.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

4mm up here today. Pretty happy with that.. Want expecting much... EC and ACCESS both had less than 1mm and even the always optimistic GFS only had 5mm :P settles the dust added a thousand litres to the water tanks, and pushes our MTD to a reasonable 60mm (average is just past 70mm).

Thick fog up here now, and spitty drizzle which seems to be clearing.

Time for the next thread.... Looks like a bit of a repeat with more easterly dips to come.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Lol this thread has lasted all month.
14mm here this afternoon and thick mist and trrizzle since sunset.
The green summer continues. It looks like late November at my place, I'm so pleased!
Each time it gets a bit dry this summer we have had a little rain to rescue the garden.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by wolfcat »

DSLR Version of my earlier shot of the inbound storm over the CBD at lunch time today.

hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

2mm more overnight so ended on 6mm. Local AWS - just 2km away got 9mm so a bit unlucky at our place. I think for the thread that we've had ~65mm and 5 thunder days. Not a bad effort.

New thread time - Saturday's system is starting to look a bit better with EC showing falls up to 10mm now for Melbourne metro after a hot day. Fair bit of tropical mositure has spilled south with the two TCs so just comes down to the dynamics.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Well another direct hit here yesterday with 20.5 mm in quick time. Not even a hint of that in the models at any distance, but I'm getting used to that...

We aren't getting all the storms this year, but those that hit are delivering. We're now on exactly 60.5 mm for February, and 150 mm ytd. By comparison, this time last year we'd had just 30 mm ytd and of course way more hot weather. Nice to get a gentle summer & stay green!
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Fantastic capture wolfcat :thumbsup: