Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Cold Front January 5th to 6th

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Victoria: Cold Front January 5th to 6th

Post by Dane »

Thought I would post a new topic regarding the upcoming cold front due later today.
Looks fairly good on the satellite pic at the moment with some cold air behind it although most of this cold air will slip to the south of Victoria I think.
Should still see scattered showers over most of southern and mountain areas with falls up to 10mm's in some more exposed areas like the Otways and south Gippsland ect. I am hoping for about 5mm's for my area.
Still a couple of showers around tomorrow in the SW stream following the front.
Northern Victoria should remain fine but with lower than average temperatures for the next couple of days.
BTW quite a cool morning around Melbourne with many suburbs dropping down into single figures, down to 9.2c here earlier and 4.2c at Coldstream.
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Cold Front January 5th to 6th

Post by Wilko »

Currently on the way down to Wye River with half the house packed
for our annual holiday
Looks like the cold front will coincide with us just about to put our tent up
Oh we'll might just head to the pub instead
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Thanks for posting Dane and good luck Wilko. We are just off to Pt Arlington so might be a bit windy on the beach this arvo lol
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

A nice day ruined by a fierce blustery wind today. The approaching front looks good on the radar, get your water tanks ready boys and girls, this could be our last decent rain for some time! :?
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
M
Madmel
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Madmel »

Nasty nasty nasty..Boy did that wind come through with a vengence in Williamstown!! :o
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

winds to 53.1 k's up here so far with the wind change. Scud looks impressive. Good luck with the tents lol.
Peter
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Certainly very squally when that front went through but not that much rain.
Wind gusted up to over 50 knots on the bay with St Kilda Harbour RMYS recording a gust of 58 knots (107kmh)
Only 1.6mm's of rain though (at my place)and the main band has cleared now
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Well, that all rushed through much too quickly, only 2mm from that. The cold pool on the sat pic doesn't look too bad, so should see a few more showers coming across to give us a bit more.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
occluded
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by occluded »

Got to 26 here before the change. Wind was plenty gusty and enough to bring down several large tree branches in the area - including one onto a car - and tore off a skylight too.

Almost no rain here, just a splash in the gauge and nothing reported by the PWS. Bit perplexed as the front looked meaty enough on the radar before it rolled through.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Still a few showers around here this morning. since 9am I have had 1.6mm's which gives me 3.4mm's since 3pm yesterday.
A bit cold as well only 12.9 atm.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

It was windy down south on thre bay, but otherwise boring again. Calmish now but bay like washing machine.

Will it get hot in jan in Melb...gone from 50/50 to 70/30 against in my book. I not complainng thats for sure.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

mick wrote:Will it get hot in jan in Melb...gone from 50/50 to 70/30 against in my book.
Looks like getting a bit toasty next week Mick.
Nice to see you posting again, even if it is through boredom! ;) :)
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

As Geoff said, Mick, certainly looks like things will get quite hot across the state from about Monday or Tuesday next week. Extended models have been hinting at this for a while, ACCESS and GFS both show very hot conditions developing as a strong cyclone could potentially form in the north of the country. The south may see one or two milder days in-between the heat period but certainly good prospect for an extended heat spell.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Hmm looking fairly typical January weather, nice and stable, apart from the slightly cool temps, although not all that abnormal and happens just about every year with southerlies often taking control for awhile. GFS definitely going for some heat early next week, something to keep an eye on, again nothing unusual for this time of year! This is next Tuesday's 850 temps:

N
Nick Sykes
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Nick Sykes »

If the extended GFS comes off we will be wanting the cool weather back lol.