Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Storms and rain Feb 25th-March 2nd.

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Storms and rain Feb 25th-March 2nd.

Post by Didjman »

watching development on radar to my NW! Cams charged.
Peter
w
wolfcat
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by wolfcat »

does a happy dance with that last update on the radar, looks like the storms are saying "Sea breeze, what sea breeze"
BigTom
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by BigTom »

Looks like winter outside, 100% LOW CLOUD COVERING, down to 20.6C Storms approaching from W NW. With this sort of sky you wouldn't think there's storms about :D
t
tre75
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by tre75 »

Good thing for storm potential/rain potential tomorrow, as i type another loud thunder clap, this will increase humidity for tomorrow, not heaps of rain at the moment just light, as for now looks like a reasonable line is forming right up into central dividing range, I could see quite large stuff on the ranges north of us in the arvo but considering seabreeze factor I thought it may just stay there like it usually does, but then sometimes it surprises us all I guess.

Wet the ground, sun tomorrow morn ... Could be some nice rain coming for most I'm thinking - HOORAH!
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

A cell over the bay now! Seabreeze what seabreeze? Upper trough West of Melbourne is digging these storms down, in situations like this the seabreeze has next to nil effect
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

johnno » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:05 pm wrote:
johnno wrote:David I can see some convection fresh convection over the Western sky above the low cloud now so should see some development towards Geelong and Avalon within the next 90 mins I would say

Right on schedule!
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

Storm Shield currently activated for s/e bayside. The wind changed about 4 and that ruined it. MIght be something over the bay but I expect a collapse. Just grey murk atm but loving the cool breeze.
t
tre75
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by tre75 »

Seems like alot is heading for avalon, with the airshow and amount of planes flying over today .. how surprising, gotta have some rain for that dust - right right?, hehe, right on cue, must be something in those fumes I tells ya, mate said earlier that plane is a cloud seeder, I didn't believe him, it was flying high towards avalon/Melbourne (this was in the morn) with 4 large jet stream coming out the back, the cloud dispersed and we though nothing more of it, but now ... maybe?
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Nah it's on!!! Cold air hits warm humid air with trough..cold air feeding the tropical line of storms now... I think central will do alright out of this
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

according to BOM no severe storms are currently occuring in victoria...
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by mick »

tre75 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:12 pm wrote:
tre75 wrote:Seems like alot is heading for avalon, with the airshow and amount of planes flying over today .. how surprising, gotta have some rain for that dust - right right?, hehe, right on cue, must be something in those fumes I tells ya, mate said earlier that plane is a cloud seeder, I didn't believe him, it was flying high towards avalon/Melbourne (this was in the morn) with 4 large jet stream coming out the back, the cloud dispersed and we though nothing more of it, but now ... maybe?
Unfortunately for your theory, heavy aircraft fly into Avalon all the time and they dont bring rain. However, airshows attract rain, they can break a drought, this is called the ticketmaster effect. It applies to anything you have pre paid that can be ruined by rain.
Instability
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Instability »

Just been watching a great silhouette of the updraft and cell over the bay. It's a bit like a Kardashian though, looks pretty but seems to be serving no real purpose...
t
tre75
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by tre75 »

With the frequency of rumbles that I'm hearing I willing to go out on a limb (not really) and say that lara & availon is getting absolutely hammered right now, no storms bleh.
t
tre75
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by tre75 »

mick » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:20 pm wrote:
mick wrote: Unfortunately for your theory, heavy aircraft fly into Avalon all the time and they dont bring rain. However, airshows attract rain, they can break a drought, this is called the ticketmaster effect. It applies to anything you have pre paid that can be ruined by rain.
Haha nice one, got a few chuckles outta me :D

Ever the skeptic until I see proof that people/organisations are willing too spend the ridiculous amounts of cash needed for the required elements needed for cloud seeding (rare and kinda not healthy stuff), all just myths, these storms are just the cause of nice conditions.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Nice steady rain here atm and thunder. It looked really mean coming up on the train. The sheet of dark cloud and Cb over the Macedon Ranges started to appear around Sunbury and then approaching the mountain there was some nasty looking activity going on and plenty of mushroom stuff to the east of it. Unfortunately we missed the core of the storms and are left with just moderate intensity rain.

BOM has jumped on for what we all though was going to happen Tuesday and Wednesday anyway. If anything tomorrow looks like the wettest day. The western third of the state may miss out though (on the heavy rain). :?

BTW, 35C here today which is the final insult for what has been a brutal summer. About 5 consecutive days now ranging from cool to warm and no 30C days in sight for at least the next 7 days (at this stage anyway) it looks to return though right at the end of the 7-10 days of the model run.

Melbourne will not break the 30C record for Feb now.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Torrential stuff starting up now! :D :D
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

A few drops starting to fall here. Just emptied 2mm worth of spiders & cobwebs from the gauge ready for hopefully some recordable rain. :spider:
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

mick » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:07 pm wrote:
mick wrote:Storm Shield currently activated for s/e bayside. The wind changed about 4 and that ruined it. MIght be something over the bay but I expect a collapse. Just grey murk atm but loving the cool breeze.
Don't lose hope yet Mick
Radar starting to fill in a bit over Metro
L
Lara_Hunter
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Lara_Hunter »

gday tre75, constant rumbles in Lara with slow but large drops falling currently.. was good to finally see some action down here :) havent been smashed with rain like id love
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

The Dandenongs stormshield is holding firm still, so in a pathetic and desperate bid to attract the rain I've gone and put the sprinkler out on the front lawn for the first time this summer - it's GOT to work surely!!!
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180