Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Trough - showers/rain/storms - 13th-16th Dec 2012

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Trough - showers/rain/storms - 13th-16th Dec 2

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Wind change / trough looks as though it is around mt gambier. Prob be here by morning with a heavy burst of rain and a relatively calm afternoon? Anyone else agree? Timing doesn't seem to be our friend with this event. Agree with others that have mentioned if trough came through at say 6pm tomorrow totals would be much higher.
O
Ob1
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Ob1 »

A rather nice line has formed in the South-West and is extending Northward. Lightning Tracker is active, if only this was all a few hours later. :x
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

It has turned into another fizzer considering what was forecast a few days ago. A wind change with some showers & a few possible sparks is hardly anything to get me excited. So damn frustrating.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

After this small band of rain, is anything else expected? Only looking to get about 2mm going by the radar..
Go the bombersss!
I
I_Love_Storms
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by I_Love_Storms »

Yeah this event is unbelievably frustrating considering such a late and big downgrade by the models...was looking forward to getting a couple of inches today when prob only get 2mm. Looks dry behind these initial storms - I'm not really expecting much more after this band.
Last edited by I_Love_Storms on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Certainly looks like a short sharp burst coming up for a few of us, but no, not a huge amount in this front. I must say I'm a bit mystified by the forecasts I've read from various sources today, all of which seem to say it will clear up this evening. I keep looking at that vigorous looking cold front coming across the Bight at a rate of knots, and it seems to me it should get to Melbourne by about 7-8pm. Anyone else think the same?
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
R
Rhino
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Rhino »

BOM must be desperate to put out a STW if there putting one out for this line, might be worse than what the radars showing but geez....

Rhino. :) :)
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Your right rhino haha! Looks like its dissipating on the northern edge..
Go the bombersss!
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

Just walking down Elwood beach ...looked up and to our total shock saw a well developed funnel! Slim and long...didn't reach the water lasted for just a few minutes. Awesome!
P
Petethemoskeet
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Petethemoskeet »

The NE will be the focus for today with the trough stalling.Thunderstorms will become more widespread from about early afternoon with some heavy falls especially on the ranges.At the moment we are getting occassional heavy showers.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

New development it seems here to the north west of Melbourne ! Shaped up very quickly! Btw couldn't push the submit button before ;/
Go the bombersss!
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Skywalker »

Will be lucky if we received a single drop here. What a joke! :cussing:
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Intense rain here for about 3 minutes and bit of thunder. Rain rate at 70mm/h. Overall though a non event. This would have been massive if it happened 8 hours later LIKE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO. Sooooooooooo p****d off.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Short sharp downpour here now. Was just on the roof, saw it developing ! Absolutely pouring now!
Go the bombersss!
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Skywalker »

Okay we are getting more than a single drop, short 5 minute burst of moderate rain. I'd say that will be it.
f
flyfisher
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flyfisher »

Something I have noticed recently.. Storms or rain approaching Melbourne from the west on the SW wind change. The SW wind change when it hits the bay it accelerates and skips quickly across it. What then happens is the line of storms or rain band then loses it's updraft and the whole line fractures as it crosses Melbourne.

It then reforms to the east of Melbourne in the ranges. Also I notice that the line shears off in the airport region.

This occurred again with the wind change this morning.
Last edited by flyfisher on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Clear skies to my west, could we get more lifting? Is Melbourne still in with a chance of storms?
Go the bombersss!
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Sorry Melburnians I think we took most of the rain off you down here in Tassie! 78 mm at Ulverstone in the north west was the top total to 9 am.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

hillybilly » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:26 am wrote:
hillybilly wrote:2.4mm in the gauge this morning - 1.8mm with the squall line and the remainder as light rain and drizzle. Very foggy here this morning - viz dwn to 10s metres at time and spitting rain.

Hoping for a lot more today.

Huge split on the models next 2 days - GFS has 70mm and EC has 10mm. For what it is worth EC had 2mm for us yesterday and GFS 20mm, so EC seems to have the "form" for this event :P
Well picked hillybilly! Turns out EC did indeed forecast the fizzing, as unlikely as that seemed just 24 hrs ago. Big fail to GFS right through.
7.5 mm here for the whole event, and for many model runs we were in the bullseye for 10 times that!
n
norwester
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by norwester »

Finally a hit. Big noisy storm earlier this morning with a couple of ml of rain at last in a short heavy downpour - not much, but better than nothing. (although the blockies are muttering darkly in the vines about brown rot and spraying furiously!) That looks like it for us but at least the humidity is lower and a cooler day today.
Dry, dusty and hot - usually!