Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

No McDonalds in Tecoma, Dandenong Ranges!

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

No McDonalds in Tecoma, Dandenong Ranges!

Post by 93ben »

I'm really disappointed in McDonalds for even deciding to destroy a small lovely town by planing on building a 24/7 McDonald's in quiet Tecoma. The council and residents don't want it there yet VCAT approved it! McDonalds even decided to bulldoze a historic building there to build their own, of which I find incredibly wrong! It's also going to be built opposite to a local Kinder and School. I just see this as crazy as it would wreck the culture and environment that currently sits there. I love the dandenongs and wouldn't like to see any fast food outlet to be built there.

Please sign the pettition https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/ ... nges-alone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; today and help the comunity keep it's hostoric value! In the meantime boycott McDonalds, there's heaps of other fast food outlets that you can go to.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: No McDonalds in Tecoma, Dandenong Ranges!

Post by Lily »

Oh absolutely. Was reading about this the other night in The Age & was speaking to some parents at cricket this morning about this (we were playing Upwey Tecoma). It really is a great shame that VCAT have made this decision. They overturned an application to build one at Knoxfield (opposite the skate park in a primarily residential area), so if that can get knocked on the head I can't understand why this application to build a McD's opposite a school (for goodness' sake!!!) has been allowed to go through. And to think a paediatrician is behind the application!
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Signed the petition & will post the link on my fb page. Agree it isn't nessecary. Macca's has been trying for years to build in the Dandenongs looks like they will finally suceed which will be a shame.
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Signed the petition. I said that people come to the Dandenongs to escape the rat race, not join it. Enough said, I think.
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Obviously I'm not directly in the area, but I really feel sad that this may happen in our local Ranges. I don't get it, why would anyone deem it necessary when there's plenty of Macca's just down the road in places like FTG, Rowville, Boronia, etc.?

Crying shame, it really can't go ahead, it just can't :(

Edited to add this from The Age for anyone who wants to learn a bit more:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/golde ... 27tz7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

I've been up here for 28 years. About 10 years ago they tried to build a Maccas in Belgrave. Many protests later they ended up building the new police station there. On the Mt Dandenong Tourist road about the same time we had a Captain America's hamburger place open in Tremont. They were told by the council to remove all the signage and they ended up closing down.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Yes I agree with you all. I don't see it being a massive issue as Tecoma is right at the front of the hills, though they should of built it perhaps on the hairpin down in Upper FTG before going up to the Tourist Rd or Burwood Hwy.

I drive past it everyday at the moment, and there is round the clock protesting going on. I don't think the gypsies help their cause by running onto the road when the lights are red and harrang vehicles for signatures. Dangerous!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Well, we ended up with one here in the macedon ranges. just one more step down the ladder to surburbinisation. It is in Gisborne, a formerly pleasant small town that is growing like mad, the population has practically doubled in the last 10 or so years, the place is bursting at the seams with cars and traffic and supermarket carparks. Subway heralded the arrival of corporate fast food and neon signage a few years ago. Now there is an awful Mcdonalds crouching in its carpark and luring everyone in with its cheap ecologically disastrous fast food. The kids love it, the parents love it, the local council probably love it! i imagine the established food traders in Gisbo probably dont love it.
I hope something stops the one in Tecoma, i cant think of a more incongruous business for the Dandenongs, they will probably come up with a one-dollar McDevonshire Tea and give Miss Marple a run for her ruble :D

When i lived in the Blue Mountains we successfully fought off a Mcdonalds invasion at Katoomba, only because the council knew what was good for them if they wanted to get re-elected, that and the fact that we were already bookended by Macdonalds at Blaxland and Lithgow.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Macedonian » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:39 am wrote:
Macedonian wrote:Well, we ended up with one here in the macedon ranges. just one more step down the ladder to surburbinisation. It is in Gisborne, a formerly pleasant small town that is growing like mad, the population has practically doubled in the last 10 or so years, the place is bursting at the seams with cars and traffic and supermarket carparks. Subway heralded the arrival of corporate fast food and neon signage a few years ago. Now there is an awful Mcdonalds crouching in its carpark and luring everyone in with its cheap ecologically disastrous fast food. The kids love it, the parents love it, the local council probably love it! i imagine the established food traders in Gisbo probably dont love it.
That's crazy Macedonian. If only something stops this building of any fast food outlet in the Dandenong ranges! The council won't take it up to the supreme court so now it's up to the residents to fight and that's a pretty tough battle against a major corporate. Here in the Manningham area there's 3 McDonald's, 1 KFC, 1 Red Rooster (Used to be 2) and a couple of Subways! But then again this is the suburbs, not really any bushland apart from Warrandyte, Park Orchards, Wonga Park and there's like no fast food outlet there.