Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Weather Channel 2013 Calendar Comp.

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Weather Channel 2013 Calendar Comp.

Post by rikjpool »

Hey guys, I have entered an image and the voting starts from now. If anyone else has an image that they have entered. We'll have a look and vote for it! :)

http://apps.facebook.com/twc-calendar-c ... FC%2F34575" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS> oh yeah, could also vote for mine. Ta. :P
I live in a world where I dont see to believe, but I believe to see...
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Re: Weatherzone 2013 Calendar Comp.

Post by Rivergirl »

Yep I'll vote for you. I guess it's too late to enter tho
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:
Location: Home: North Bendigo-just behind Lake Weeroona, Vic. Work: 1.5Km SE from Bendigo AWS

Post by rikjpool »

Thanks Robyn, and yeah a little late now, entries closed 2 days ago. :(
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Damn Rikki, you've already got nearly 20 votes...i need more facebook friends lol

Here's mine if anyone can be bothered voting - http://apps.facebook.com/twc-calendar-c ... FC%2F34809" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

Great shot Meso. :) Voted :)
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Both Great Shots..
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Thanks Rikki. When I go to your url and Meso's I get the front page of the comp and then I have to go through the galleries which do not have anybody's names. So I went to facebook and found your posts Rikki so was able to vote for you as you know. Meso have you posted your photo on facebook. If you can let me know or post your pic here then I can find it to vote. Thanks :)
r
rikjpool
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by rikjpool »

Can someone change the subject of this thread, just realised its The Weather Channel comp, not the Weatherzone... my bad. :)
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Re: Weather Channel 2013 Calendar Comp.

Post by Rivergirl »

Done rikki! I thought that was a bit strange lol
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Rivergirl » Tue May 01, 2012 9:38 pm wrote:
Rivergirl wrote:Thanks Rikki. When I go to your url and Meso's I get the front page of the comp and then I have to go through the galleries which do not have anybody's names. So I went to facebook and found your posts Rikki so was able to vote for you as you know. Meso have you posted your photo on facebook. If you can let me know or post your pic here then I can find it to vote. Thanks :)
Hi Robyn, you should be able to vote straight from the link now, according to their post on Facebook they have fixed it so it doesn't go to the front page.

Anyway, I think me and Rikki are out of the running for the major prize. There is a great photo on there with a really nice ocean foreground and lightning in the background that has well over 100 votes. Still be nice to get in the calander though and if we could both get in together that'd be even better!
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Still went to the front page again Meso. Are you on facebook, have you put your image up there for friends to vote on? If the pic is on redbubble just give me the url and then I can search for it

Good luck guys, I hope you get in the calendar
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

Those links seem to work ok for me Robyn, though just once it took me to the front page, maybe it's an intermittant problem, try again. :)
Lotsaluckguys! :D
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Well when I tried Firefox I was finally able to see Meso's pic so I voted. Nice pic Meso. The problem was my Internet Explorer as it's not updated
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Voted for both, very worth images guys - well done. Would love to capture lightning well... sighs
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Thanks for the votes guys. Appreciate it.

Do you have a DSLR Chris?
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

I do indeed, Canon 550d, nothing too fancy, but more than enough to have a good crack. just the usual twin lenses, plus a fisheye. The thing I find most frustrating is getting focus set to "∞" correctly - often the images I capture look good on the camera screen, so i keep shooting away - only when I get home they're crap. Easy enough when there's something to focus on :)
The other thing that gives me the violet is the memory - take a few shots - maybe 10 or so - no problem, but once the buffer's depleted, you can wait 20 seconds or so for it to be ready again! :x Even got an ultra SD thinking that would help...

I guess it usually comes down to practice makes perfect, and a little luck too!
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

I got the same camera, mate. It's a good rig, not a pro model, but nothing to be sneezed at either.

I think your problem is those crappy twin lenses...I assume you're referring to the kit ones? I struggled for months with those, trying to find infinity and getting out of focus shots at night. Finally decided to upgrade to a Canon 15-85mm which has an infinity marker on it and voila, no focus problems. Wish I had of just bought a decent lens from the start and not bothered with the kit ones...all they do is sit in my camera bag feeling lonely now.

Not sure about your buffer problem though, sounds like the write speed of the card is too low. I use a Sandisk SDHC 30MB/s card and never have any problems. They're relatively cheap too, $70 or so from memory for a 16gb card. If you've ruled that out as the problem though, I'd be sending it back to be fixed.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Thanks Greg, yeah I had a feeling that would be it. Ok for happy snaps. Would love to get a decent lens, just the $$$ make it a no-no. Maybe my next bonus... **sighs**
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Yeah I know what ya mean, only got mine thanks to the tax man, haha. Would love something wider too, but it's all money.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

I was just talking to Shell last night about lenses. The twin lense kit with the 550D is crap, especially the 18-85mm lens, it's only worth $150. When I bought my 7D I just bought the body as I already had lenses but recently bought the 24-105mm. It was $1000 from Hong Kong, about $500 more here in Australia so an expensive lense. I'm not extremely happy with the sharpness here either. Don't know if it's inferior because I got it cheaper from Hong Kong. I could afford to get it as I have been getting a lot of paid portrait photography work in my studio lately.

Shell got the 15-85mm lens as part of the twin lense kit with her 7D. They are valued at $800 and Shell isn't happy with the sharpness either.

With your card problem Chris, I'd say the same as Meso.

Regarding infinity with nightime photography. use live view on your camera (preferably during the day) to focus on the scene you are going to capture at night then mark your lense at that spot.

Remember infinity isn't where it says infinity is It sounds like the 18 to 85mm lens has its act together tho.