Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Tapa Talk

Keep up to date with any changes, new developments & upgrades that have been made to the forum or website.
FuManchu
Cumulus
Reactions:

Tapa Talk

Post by FuManchu »

Have you guys taken a look at incorporating tapatalk into the forum? We did and it was one of the best things we have ever done.
Over 50% of internet use in Australia is now done via mobile devices and that is increasing rapidly. Tapatalk allows mobile device users to browse phpBB forums in a format suitable for them.
There are many apps and mods about but this is the best.

I cant use any forum easily on a phone. Its like having fists for fingers to press buttons and reading the writing is tough work with out having to zoom in all the time.

A large amount of our forum traffic now comes via tapatalk users. I also use it to share info on our twitter account from the forum. It is also useful with Facebook.

Once installed, users then buy the app (its cheap) and forum browsing is a walk in the park on ipads, iphones, blackberrys, android.
That will mean far more forum traffic.

http://tapatalk.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd sure be able to share more from our forum on yours with this installed. (and vies versa)
FuManchu
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Tapa Talk

Post by FuManchu »

Sorry for the blatant plug but no weather forums are making things mobile friendly or catering for the mobile device market. Not a good thing for the near future. Frustrating for users.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Hi Fu!! Thanks for letting us know! We are currently in the midst of upgrading the forum and expanding our services, and we will look at this quite closely.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

just wondering if l could ad this to the wish list re accessability

I have an older slower computer and l assume l am not alone
having trouble viewing photos that the stormchasers have loaded into the threads . Is it possible for them to include a hot link to the source of the file because when yo click it the browser opens a new page and loads the photo quite quickly. The older computers don't cope well with serial picture downloads on a thread
what l am saying is is. post the picture AND place a text hot link under the photo for all us users with dinosaur computers

just would love to see them ALL instead of the first 2 0r 3 on the page
regrds

I am sure this would help mobile phone users as well
FuManchu
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FuManchu »

With tapatalk it automatically resizes the pics to one uniform size. If you want more detail, just tap the pic and it shows the good version.

Crikey, I think in the user control panel you can go to: Board Preferences > Edit Display Options > Display Images in posts > click "No" That should help. :)

Also on another forum I use they have a feature that, yes, resizes all photos to one generic size. Like Tapatalk if you want to see it better you click on it and it opens the bigger version. Stuffed if I know how they did it.

Right now the only probelm I get with tapatalk is sharing individual posts. Normally to share a post link it would read http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... wtopic.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? p=66705#p66705 (no space though) p=post number. Tapatalk saves the url as the thread number followed by the post number so the link will always go to the top of the page rather than the target post. all I do is edit it before sharing the link on twitter.

Twitter, hmmm now there is a few cob webs here in the east ;) :lol:
It seems we are the only active Australian weather forum on "the twitters" ;)
FuManchu
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FuManchu »

Powerstorm, one of the admin could get the app and have a go of our forum (via the app.)
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Hey Fu. Thanks, I love tapas :) As Jake said we are currently upgrading the forum and building the AWF web site but this is certainly something to consider for sure. Karl is on holiday but we'll talk to him at some time about this. Hope you had a great Christmas :)
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

Yeah.Thanks for that lead FuManchu. I looked but my control panel did not have that feature.
However did find on firefox ..Tools/options/content
a tick box that allows you to turn off pics.
That enabled me to download the entire page quickly and then individually click on the image tags to load. But of course the picture isn't there so you have to click see photos again to view. Just impractical really. A better computer would be the answer as you tube no good as well..LOL
What did work well was AUSSKY's Facebook folio of the xmas storms.
The link opened the facebook folio quickly ( login ) and loaded the set of medium thumb sized photos , I think there were about 16 photo thumbnails of good size on the front page..and l got to see the lot quite quickly. 8-) :P
Just an idea for all you stormchasers posting multiple photos from a good shoot.
Do people with up to date computers/ newer models have problems viewing the photos?
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Hi Crikey!!

If you go to 'Control Panel', then click on 'Board Preferences', and then go to 'Edit Display Options', there should be an option there called; Display images within posts:. Simply select 'no', and then submit.

And Fu, I am hoping to revive our facebook and twitter pages later in January once we have worked on the AWF expansion.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
FuManchu
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FuManchu »

Cool :) Your twitter account is gathering cobwebs but I've been feeding links and mentions to it :)
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Hi Crikey,
I feel your pain, we had the same issue a few years back when all events came under a single thread - they were getting chokka with images from the chasers and slowing everything down.

We created some guideline for posting images about a year ago HERE

And we do have a gentle reminder text on most of the current breaking weather threads...

Only issue is that it's quite challenging to enforce, as everyone has their own way of doing things!