Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Cut off Lows

Archived climatology topics are located here.
admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Cut off Lows

Post by admin »

Cut off Lows
Karl Lijnders on Wed 17 Jun 2009 - 20:22

The common theme in the early winters of past has been the presence of lows that develop, peak west of VIC and then peeter out as they traverse over the inland giving little rainfall to C and E VIC while NW and W VIC seem to do OK.

Has this been a thing of the past (prior to this accute dry spell) or is this a new trend that we must note?

It is becoming frustrating as every stand up front seems to take the form of a low and then ruin any chance for state wide rainfall..
Karl Lijnders

Re: Cut off Lows
droughtbreaker on Wed 17 Jun 2009 - 22:28

Has this been a thing of the past (prior to this accute dry spell) or is this a new trend that we must note?
Cut offs yes, winding up and fizzing out short of VIC no..
droughtbreaker

Karl Lijnders on Thu 18 Jun 2009 - 19:58

.Well they seem to be winding up heading N along the W border and making a sharp turn ESE along the N border or in the Bass Strait lows, staying well S.

Hmmmm it will come some day.

I do remember when it used to rain more than 1 hour at a time .
Karl Lijnders

droughtbreaker on Thu 18 Jun 2009 - 22:44

What we are seeing in the current progs is more like what we used to get at this time of year. Large cut offs developing inland and moving down over us affecting most of the state..
droughtbreaker

Karl Lijnders on Fri 19 Jun 2009 - 0:01

We are if a similar age Andrew but I can never remember anything but it raining And out here it rains a lot of the time when it isn't elsewhere!!

Well I trust your knowledge on this one
Follow us on Twitter @ AusWeatherForum