Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Lake Eildon

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Lake Eildon

Post by johnno »

How about we reopen the North-South Pipeline and send it to Sugarloaf dam? Oh damn that can't be done can it Sugarloaf is already full.. Water everywhere at the moment! And some Climatologists said we would be in permanent drought Couple of Years ago umm yeah
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

You know, I've never seen it spill, would be good to see :D

I'm going to C&P that GMW info here, for historical reasons if nothing else, nice to read back on ;) :)

Lake Eildon

G-MW began releasing water from Lake Eildon on 29 June 2011 at 1,000 ML a day moving to 10,000 ML per day by 12 July, which is more than G-MW usually releases in a day during the peak of a normal irrigation season.

Background:

Lake Eildon is at its highest level at this time of the year since 1993 and continuing to rise. Releases above normal winter minimums may be required from Lake Eildon to manage the rate of rise during the next few months. Information on this page is to assist those affected by higher river levels downstream of Lake Eildon to monitor river levels and changes to releases. This information will be updated each morning and more often if necessary.

Current Status:

The table below outlines the release yesterday, today's release and a forecast for the next three days. The current releases are the normal winter minimums of 250 ML/d plus an additional 1,500 ML/d for power generation.

Last updated: 15 August 2011

11:40am
Releases from Lake Eildon

Date - Month - Release (ML/d)

Yesterday 14 August 2011 1,750
Today 15 August 2011 1,750
Forecast 16 August 2011 250
Forecast 17 August 2011 250
Forecast 18 August 2011 250

The forecast releases are an indication only and are to be used as a guide. Forecast releases may change depending on weather conditions. Releases may also change due to requests for power generation, which is currently occurring. Please check this information daily if your property is subject to inundation at high river levels while releases above winter minimums are being made.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Eildon has hit 95.1% today. A measly 4 vertical feet to go - will she spill or will flood mitigation releases keep the lake below the magic 100.00%?

And nice to see Dartmouth pass 70%.
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

Yes Gordon another milestone. Was up there on the weekend and she's looking magical. A neighbour at Mansfield told me that when the wall was renovated in 2006, they built an additional two metres onto the height, effectively taking the max capacity to "110%". Anyone know anything about this? Can see how this would happen as an additional 2 metres approx would put many lake side properties under water
Attachments
Lake Eildon at 95%
Lake Eildon at 95%
Lake Eildon at 95%.png (632.23 KiB) Viewed 14261 times
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Blackie » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:46 pm wrote:
Blackie wrote:Yes Gordon another milestone. Was up there on the weekend and she's looking magical. A neighbour at Mansfield told me that when the wall was renovated in 2006, they built an additional two metres onto the height, effectively taking the max capacity to "110%". Anyone know anything about this? Can see how this would happen as an additional 2 metres approx would put many lake side properties under water
Blackie I'm guessing any extra height on the wall would have been added to help withstand extreme floods, rather than to raise useable capacity - this sort of work was done on a number of Vic dam walls in recent times as a safety measure. In other words I'm pretty sure the spillway height is unchanged as the website/ infoline both stick with about 1.2 m below full. (FSL on the website)
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

http://www.lakeeildon.com/board/downloa ... php?id=705" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a photo taken last week by Allan, a member on lakeeildon.com. It shows the lake at 1.5m below full and the high water mark on the gate (yellow line).

This is a close up http://www.lakeeildon.com/board/downloa ... php?id=706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Cant wait to get up there this weekend.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

If eildon spills i am going to drive up and have a look, that pic is great good to see a dam that was so low for so long looking that healthy.
I went out to Malmsbury and Upper Coliban dams on the weekend, both spilling and not so long ago they were both nearly dry. Kids wewre having a great time fishing just below the spillways on both dams and catching some decent sized fish.

I hope Eildon is spilling in Spring before my annual pilgrimage to the Sheepyard Flat campsites on the lovely Howqua River.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Macedonian » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:46 am wrote:
Macedonian wrote:If eildon spills i am going to drive up and have a look, that pic is great good to see a dam that was so low for so long looking that healthy.
I went out to Malmsbury and Upper Coliban dams on the weekend, both spilling and not so long ago they were both nearly dry. Kids wewre having a great time fishing just below the spillways on both dams and catching some decent sized fish.

I hope Eildon is spilling in Spring before my annual pilgrimage to the Sheepyard Flat campsites on the lovely Howqua River.

A great sight for sure, but I hope those kids weren't catching trout - the trout closed season applies in flowing water until Saturday, so targeting and especially keeping trout in either place is illegal at present.

And fantastic pics Lily - brings the reality of it home!
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Gordon, they werent catching Trout, some kind of fish that looked like a silver bream but with yellowy fins. Hope they were legal, they certainly were hauling em in!
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Good to hear Macedonian, probably redfin or roach.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Is Eildon likely to spill though? I'm pretty sure I read that it "spills" in a rather unspectacular fashion via the hydro - in fact the amount of times Eildon has spilt in proper terms (via the spillway) have been few and far between, which is a great shame for us Eildon lovers.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

I didnt know about the hydro Lily. Sounds like i will be waiting a long time eh! Anyhow, isnt it wonderful to see Eildon approaching 100% :D
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

A friend was on the lake yesterday and he says that if you could sit on the spillway (not recommended!) your toes would dangle in the water. 96% and rising...
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

Yes slowly ticking upward though I would have thought we'd hit 100% by now, and must now acknowledge that a FULL lake is not inevitable if we continue with lower rainfall. We really need rain by October to both take care of the last four percent and to prevent releases increasing to the point we're we are going backwards. Personally, i still think we'll get to full.

Am up here in Mansfield for a week off. The lake is now getting into ground where I don't remember it being before. Sure is a lot of water.

B
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

GMW have increased releases for irrigation requirements downstream, up to 10,000/day now. I'm confident we'll see 100% too, the Lake's still getting run off and increasing it's levels, even though the rain's have been scarce. Enjoy your week off, Blackie :)
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

Still good chance the lake will reach 100% or very close to it in early October with good signs of the Lake receiving 40-70mm next week and possibily more upstream.
B
Blackie
Reactions:

Post by Blackie »

Tend to agree with you John. 50mm + around over the catchment should do it.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Wow! over 98% full now, not long to go now!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Nearly there, seems to be creeping this last 10%!!!