Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

AWF Everyday Chat Thread

Have a chat, coffee and let's laugh about what is going on in your world. You can also find 'Photography Central', 'AWF Member Photos' & 'Weather Sites/Links Australia'.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: AWF Everyday Chat Thread

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Yeah my school must be different Harley. It all depends homework wise for me ... like some nights I can do as little as 45 minutes, or top out at 3-4 hours. It just depends, usually its about 2 and a bit hours. YR 12 is meant to be doing 45 mins a night per subject. I'm fairly lucky in that I did two VCE subjects last year, so I had the choice of doing 4 or 5 this year, and I chose 4. However tonight, I am only just starting my homework ... I had to milk, cook tea, do more jobs outside, and of course visit here. Its fine though, you get used to it I guess.

Haha Lily ... maybe I am just too lazy and should do more work. Sounds like your kids are like me homework wise ... it's a fair load for them being that young.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

So Powerstorm & Harley, what subjects are you both studying this year & what do you hope to do once school is finished?
Double Whopper award winning footy tipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

OMG, I've just had the most horrendous photo ever taken of me for my passport. They probably won't let me through customs with a photo like that, national security, protecting the nation from people with really, really shocking photos and all that stuff :laughing:

How embarrassment :oops:
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Let us be the judge of that Lily - dare you to post your passport pic!!!!!! :twisted:

Think yours is bad you should see my Working With Children's card it's a wonder I'm allowed anywhere near children with that hideous picture!

Anyway on a different subject went to put some pressie's on layby for Miss soon to be 12 at Big W yesterday only to be told they don't do layby's under $50 anymore!!!!!!!! :o
What the? If anything I would have thought it would be the larger layby's people don't pay off as i assume that is the reasoning behind it. Oh well just have to find a good hiding spot for the present!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Let us be the judge of that Lily - dare you to post your passport pic!!!!!!

Oh hell no! :rotfl: No way, no how!

I don't have much faith in layby's, but that does seem a bit silly to restrict it to over $50. Still, it's all about cutting costs these days, isn't it? The reasoning might be because things under $50 are a) more affordable for people and b) probably not that big, therefore can be hidden more easily than a trampoline and the like.
H
HarleyB
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by HarleyB »

Moo, i'm doing all year 11 subjects, no year 12 ones. I'm doing English, Maths Methods, Chemistry, Physics, Info Tech and History. I don't know what I want to do anymore, since I was a little tacker (about 4) I always wanted to be a meteorologist, but now there some other things I have thought would be interesting to look at doing, such as Primary or Secondary school teaching, being in the Police force, or something science-based.
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Harley that is an impressive choice of subjects, you must be quite the brain! But you have choosen well as you will have the choice of science, arts or both. Don't stress about your career path, go with what interests you & that tends to lead you to a career choice. Though these days most of us are going to have several career changes over a working lives very rare that you work at the same place for more than 10 years these days.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Nice stuff Harley!! Like me! :D

Last year I did two year 12 subjects - Australian History and Psychology.

This year I am doing - Physics, Chemistry, Math Methods and English.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

So what's everyone up to this long weekend? Me I went to see Comedy of Errors at the Botanic Gardens last night with my mum & Miss 11. I had a lovely evening, perfect weather for it too. Haven't got anything in particular planned for the rest of the weekend. Need to do some housework & shopping but may go for drive somewhere or veg out on the couch!
apocalypse
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by apocalypse »

Vegging out on the lounge seems nice. But I have no long weekend! :(
Nathan Morris
2013 Rainfall
Jan - 3.8mm
Feb - 27.0mm
Mar - 0.0mm
YTD - 30.8mm
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

I think all I'm doing is sweating it out watching cricket - son's semi this morning, brother's semi this afternoon (they won!), finishing son's semi tomorrow morning and hopefully he doesn't have to play Monday too (doubt it).
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

Golf today, work tomorrow, sleep in Monday - would have been waterskiing but rebuilding a boat engine.
mutley
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by mutley »

Busy but relaxing weekend myself. Doncaster Gold Class (The Kings Speech) on Saturday, Engagement party (not mine) Saturday night, Gardening yesterday followed by "Close Encounters" and finished today fishing (albeit unsuccessfully) with the kids down at Patterson River. Need a long weekend to get over it :P
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

Sounds like a great weekend Mutley. Did you enjoy The King's Speech? Everyone I know who has seen it says it's fantastic but I haven't had a chance to see it yet nor Black Swan oh well they will be on DVD soon enough.

Me & my mum went to Monsalvat today absolutely glorious day & we really enjoyed exploring all the buildings & the artwork. There is an exhibition there "Symbols of Loss & Recovery" which was put together to coincide with the 2nd anniversary of Black Saturday. That was excellent particularly the photography & the artwork really captured the devestation caused by the fires. I would highly recommend those who are interested having a look well worth it IMO.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Yep, it's been a bit jam packed in the end here too! Cricket training Friday night, cricket semi Saturday morning, then Saturday afternoon (brother won) , then Sunday morning (son won), then onto nephew's game (he lost) for a while late morning, then up to Eildon, big night and then ended up not being able to get to sleep (thank you cola that I was mixing with!), then to my brother's this afternoon to pick up my son and have a bit of a visit and help them around the house. Kids are exhausted as am I!

What did you think of the King's Speech, Mutley? I've heard it's very good. Thanks for the tip on Montsalvat, Moo :)
mutley
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by mutley »

RE: The King's Speech.

I went in not really expecting too much. Left very content and really have not much to say against it. I was well entertained Some good Aussie humour/laricanism (is that a word) and Geoff Rush is a standout for me. Definately worth seeing, but does not necessarily need an auditorium for effects etc, wait for DVD if it is indeed to be released in the not too distant future.
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

So what's everyone up to this weekend?

Me I have just got back from Miss 14's netball game which she won by 3 goals! Great game & my girl shot (she's GS) well.
The rest of my day will be spent ferrying my daughters back & forth from their various social engagements - hard life for some!
I may attempt to mow my overgrown jungle of a garden before the next lot of rain comes along. And catch up on the housework.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Decorating for me :) Been putting this off for far too long. Even considering chucking the carpet too, just lifted it all and we have magnificent wood floors underneath, all primed and ready to polish... hmmm tempting. Anyone had experience good or bad with polishing / lacquering hardwood floors???
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

We put down a floating wooden floor so have had no experience. Good luck with it Chris. Hopefully someone on here will have done it. There's nothing quite like polished wood floors.

Watching the V8s in Adelaide. Husband just arrived home from Hong Kong/China/Thailand.
mad*moo73
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by mad*moo73 »

daviescr » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:42 pm wrote:
daviescr wrote:Decorating for me :) Been putting this off for far too long. Even considering chucking the carpet too, just lifted it all and we have magnificent wood floors underneath, all primed and ready to polish... hmmm tempting. Anyone had experience good or bad with polishing / lacquering hardwood floors???
Me & the now Ex(don't worry the floors didn't make him my ex!) did the floors a few years back. Ours had tiles, so that was a pain to remove them all especially in one of the bedrooms where the sheeting the tiles were laid on had been nailed every 10cms. Once we got the tiles off which was an ordeal it was revealed that the floor looked like it has been used as a cutting board at some stage as it has slash marks everywhere! Luckily the majority of the marks could be sanded off & the room turned out really well.

I love the look of polished floor boards & many houses have this hidden treasure underneath their carpets or tiles. Just remeber though Chris it's not just the floors, there is skirting boards & possibly repainting the walls involded too. You can hire the sander from Bunnings & most likely you can get the lacquer from there too, I think. It's a big job but well worth it.