Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Operation Firesetter

All old Social Soapbox threads can be found here.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Operation Firesetter

Post by droughtbreaker »

Just letting people know that the police are out in the bush recording details of pretty much any car parked along the side of the road (even in a designated parking area), recording details of people 'acting suspiciously' at any time in the bush, that could pretty much be anyone. People are getting official police notices placed on the windscreen of their cars just for being parked in a bushland area.

As important as it is to stop the scourge of arson, they personally threaten my life as well as many others and entire communities, this police operation doesn't seem to be very well thought out IMHO and could easily result in innocent people being charged with arson. Arsonists know what they are doing for the most part, they know not to park their cars and go out and light fires, they throw matches etc. out car windows whilst driving so they can flee without being seen.

Police are recording details of innocent bushwalkers. If a fire is lit in the area where they have been seen, and by chance they are in the area again around the time of a fire being lit, it is most likely they will be charged and the arsonist will get away scot free.

Whilst I know the police have every good intention to protect the community from a very serious threat, they are doing a terrible job of it. IMO it highlights major shortcomings in our police force and instills a lack of confidence in the community that the 'bad guys' will be caught and not the 'good guys'. People will now be discouraged from going into the bush and visiting our national/state/regional parks out of fear of incrimination for something they are 100% innocent of.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Operation Firesetter

Post by Lily »

Is this widely known?

They'd be getting my number plate regularly. Being a sales rep, I spend much of my day on the side of roads, in recreation area parking spaces (including in the hills right around the central, NE and Gippsland region) and the like, waiting until it is time to go into my appointments. I notice many other reps doing the same thing. So as well as bushwalkers, I'd suggest sales reps could be targets too!