Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

So... tell me about YOU!

Have a chat, coffee and let's laugh about what is going on in your world. You can also find 'Photography Central', 'AWF Member Photos' & 'Weather Sites/Links Australia'.
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: So... tell me about YOU!

Post by Supercellimpact »

Hi my name's Dean, I'm 17 and live in Bendigo. I have been interested in weather since I was 11 when a supercell came through and dropped a tornado in 2003 just 2 km from my house which was frightning at the time. It hit the local power station and of course the power went out. Also when a hail storm came through and about 3-4cm hail fell. I like all forms of weather except when it's boring like a long period of high pressure. But most of all thunderstorms i love, going out the front and watching the rain and lighting.

I love sport , espically AFL and I also play it.. I am in year 12 in 2011. Like playing the playstation and just surfing on the net, which is how I found this forum, which is great and in depth and have learnt a lot from it. Most of my knowledge on weather was self taught by reading info on convection, models, storms, shear , weather patterns and etc on webpages.

So yeah that's it for now, Dean. :D
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Well hello Dean, nice to "meet" you :D And you AV :P and you too Sonia! :)

That tornado would have shaken you up a bit as an eleven year old, Dean. My boy's 11 and while he finds it exciting I don't know he'd want to experience any severe weather. I keep saying it was lucky we were away when the hailstorm hit earlier this year, from what our neighbours told us (and their school friends up the road), it was terrifying for the kids.
Supercellimpact
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Supercellimpact »

Lily wrote:Well hello Dean, nice to "meet" you :D And you AV :P and you too Sonia! :)

That tornado would have shaken you up a bit as an eleven year old, Dean. My boy's 11 and while he finds it exciting I don't know he'd want to experience any severe weather. I keep saying it was lucky we were away when the hailstorm hit earlier this year, from what our neighbours told us (and their school friends up the road), it was terrifying for the kids.
Thanks Lily :) . Yeah it did a bit i thought it was going to hit our house but it was well out of distance for a small short lived tornado. This is a good site that shows the damage and wide it was etc. http://www.stormchasers.au.com/18_05_03.htm
S
SunsetTwilight
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by SunsetTwilight »

daviescr wrote:Welcome Sonia :) we hope you enjoy our forum - as Rivergirl says, it's great to have overseas members...

Any tips on how the winter will be in the UK this year? I've read some reports saying it will be pretty average, but others suggesting it could a cold one again - was great to watch the wild weather unfold last winter.I'm kinda hoping it will be equally cold and snowy this year - my wife and I are taking our 8 month old son back to see families for Christmas.

I'm originally from Manchester, moved out here 5 years ago and really miss the Atlantic storms we got every year...
Hiya
Some people saying could be just as bad with the winter we had.
In a severe lightning storm, grab ya ankles and stick ya butt in the air.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Welcome to all our new friends!!

So exiciting to have nearly 300 people near our 1st Birthday!!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
melsy
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by melsy »

Hi everyone. I've also been a long time lurker and only decided to join in not long.
Would still rather be a spectator as I honestly don't know what I talking about but absolutely love everything weather.
Everyone on this site is amazing and I'm learning so much.

Anyway my name is Melinda. I am 28 years old and engaged to my fiance Aaron. We've been together for 10 years now and was getting sick of waiting for a ring so I took him to the local jewellers last year and made him buy me one. The poor bugger is still paying it off. LOL
We have a beautiful 7 year old son Ryan and I only found out a few weeks ago that I'm 10 weeks pregnant with our second. Definitely wasn't planned but a nice surprise anyway.
I have been working at a national courier company full time for 7 years as a Operations Supervisor. I am in charge of around 18 people and majority of them are guys who do my head in on a daily bases. It's like working at a kinder most of the time. All they do is sook. (Sorry guys, I know you are not all like that)
Anyway I love my job but don't always like working 10-11 hours a day and are looking forward to having some time off with the baby next year. I will probably spend most of that time on this forum. LOL

I have always loved weather. My first memory was when I was 7 and was living in Rosebud. I was staying at a friends house and a storm hit that lasted for 3-4 hours and all I remember was the thunder was deafening and was shaking the house. My friend screamed for those 3-4 hours and I sat there in total awe. Never been in a storm like that since. It was violent.

I am off to buy my first rain gauge today(very overdue) and are also looking into buying a digital weather station.
Thanks again to everyone for their amazing photography, posts and updates.
You all make it so much easier for a amateur like me to understand and grasp everything weather related.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Congratulations Melsy,
One on joining in and having a chat,
The new camera and most exciting the news of a little one on the way..
Totaly understand about your work, I used to work with boys also. ha ha ha..
Michelle.
melsy
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by melsy »

Thanks heaps Michelle.
Been feeling pretty crappy for a few weeks. I walk around dry retching all day and I already look 4-5 months pregnant.
Really hope it's not twins. I have my first scan in 3 weeks.
I've been trying to figure out your dates. Have you had your baby yet?
I am also really excited about my camera. Besides the weather it's the second thing that I've really shown a strong interest in.
I need to go buy a few more things for it but I think I need a tripod for it as well as I found it's almost impossible to take a steady shot with it.
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Melsy,
I had a miscarriage back in march, Trying for a little longer yet,
if not, we are happy with our little 3yr old man. If its meant to be it will.
Twins eh.! my first pregnancy the doctor was laughing thinking with high levels from blood tests that it may have been twins, and we have twins in my dads family but wasnt which was a blessing as a g/f had ivf twins and that is a lot of hard work specially for the first child.
I love my tripod, especially for sunrise and moon shots, although my new lens is stabilized and I can hold it ok for some morning shots. They range so much in cost, I saved a fair while for mine as it was $480.00, but Im very happy with it. I found and apple for indigestion while pregnant worked a treat and I lived on bread rolls with vegemite and cashews, also malt milk shakes, yumm..
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Welcome on Board, thanks to Riz for letting you know about this forum.
I'll give you a heads up before they all pounce on you (in a nice way of course), if you can pop your location or general location under your user name, Go up to user control Panel top left of web page, and then into Profile, then when posting everyone can see you location. Great weekend to join do let us know your rainfall totals..
melsy
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by melsy »

Hi MJL85

I'm really sorry to that Michelle.
Thanks for the advice.
I will let you know if it's twins or not when I've had my scan.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Melsy,welcome & big congrats on the pregnancy and your camera & gauge purchases, well done! I work in transport too, know exactly what you mean about the whingeing boys ROFL!!!

MJL, great to have you on board too, thanks to Riz for giving you the heads up on the AWF forum. I did respond in your thread asking about your upcoming interview (really hope someone on here might be able to help you, but unfortunately I'm not aware of anyone on here that has had an interview as an observer). Once again, sincerely wishing you the very best of luck, how exciting for you! And us if you get through lol!

Shell, I had a feeling something like that might have happened but didn't want to bring it up as I wasn't sure. I'm really sorry to hear that x
s
solcampbell
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by solcampbell »

Hey all,
Been lurking as a "guest" on this forum for a while and finally joined up last week and thought I should introduce myself. My name is Simon, i'm 35, live in Grovedale which is just outside of Geelong and just got back from being married in Las Vegas which was awesome.

We have three pugs, Daggert, April and Sophie who keep us busy most of our free time. Me and my partner Carly have long been fascinated by thunderstorms, lightning etc and frequently head down to Bells Beach to watch them as they form and unleash their fury over us. I have to admit to being fairly dumb when it comes to what is involved in creating weather so you will have to excuse some dumb questions from time to time but trying to learn more all the time.

My other interests are Football (soccer) and photography although thats a learning curve i swear i will never get off!!
Currently i work in a print factory in Geelong city but i've had all sorts of jobs since i left school including a short stint in the Army (and i do mean short), loading hoppers at a wool scourers, roof truss builder, working in a butchers shop just to name a few.
We are heading back to the US early in 2012 to check out New York, back to Vegas but also hopefully going to stop over in Kansas for a few days and follow some storms in "Tornado Alley" which we are REALLY looking forward to.

I'm sure thats enough info for now and I will see you guys around the forums...

Cheers,
Simon
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Hey, thanks for joining us :D Las Vegas wedding, huh? Sounds fun! And love the sound of your planned upcoming trip especially if you make it to Kansas, you lucky things :D

You'll have to post some shots from down at the beach for us, would love to see some :)
W
WaterBaby
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WaterBaby »

Hi there!!
I've been stalking for a few days and thought I should finally join up.
My name is N. I'm 27 married with a 3&1/2 yo boy and 21 month old girl. They keep me pretty darn busy most of the time. I'm a SAHM while my husband is a tradie.
We live north of Bendigo along the Loddon river, but we'll just say I live in Bendigo because it's a rare occasion that anyone knows where my 'town' is.
I was Bendigo born and bred until 4 years ago... so know the place very very well.

Cheers everyone!
:)
Last edited by WaterBaby on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Meso
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Meso »

Hey WB, welcome. What are the abbreviations you're struggling with? Maybe a few of us can help you out.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Gidday Nicky, glad you've joined us from way up there. LOL @ the kids keeping you busy, I hear 'ya! You've probably heard this before, but it does get easier as they get older :)
Beamgirl
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Beamgirl »

Hiya all
Sorry its been a while.
I have moved from Scaryborough (maryborough) QLD and im now back in good old Victoria.
Not as cold as i remembered it, i guess im just loving being back.
Hopefully I will get a chance to get on here more often now.
:D Cheers
Tanya
LARA - Victoria
BRING ON THE STORMS!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

SHE'S BACK!!!!!!! :rotfl:

Was wondering where you'd got to!
a
aussiestormfreak
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by aussiestormfreak »

Gday everyone! ;) :D I'm a newcomer, but the name's Andrew (call me aussiestormfreak if you wish), and here's a bit about myself...

I live in Melbourne's eastern suburbs, currently studying at RMIT University.

I have been fascninated (or obsessed lol ;) ) by the weather for much of my life, with storms being my most absolute favourite above all others (nothing beats a severe thunderstorm, even if it's not a supercell... in my opinion at least lol). I've been photographing the weather since the very start of 2003 (worn out a number of digital cameras in the process hehehehehehe), and have snapped almost everything that the weather can throw, from frost, snow, floods, and high winds, to bushfires, drought, heatwaves, sunsets, rainbows, halos, cloud formation, blah, blah etc etc, and thunderstorms galore, including hail, lightning, and a couple of possible tornado funnels!!! :D

I have been a member

The vast majority of my weather watching activities take place while I'm travelling with family and friends, and it's mostly here in Melbourne, up in Northeast VIC, and in parts of Southeast NSW and the ACT. I have only seen and photographed a couple of storm events within what I like to nickname the 'Severe Storm Belt of Eastern Australia hehehehehe :D) - the region stretching along the East Coast and adjacent Great Dividing Range and Tablelands from around Sydney north to about the Sunshine Coast - those events being the January 15th 2005 Storms in NSW, and the September 27th 2007 Storms in SE QLD. I am hoping that in the future I will be able to go do some serious storm chasing in that region! ;)

That's enough from me for now... looking forward to engaging in this community as time goes by! Stay safe and keep well :)
Last edited by aussiestormfreak on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.