Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Cold front and cold pool - June 5th-6th 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
n
norfolk
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Cold front and cold pool - June 5th-6th 2010

Post by norfolk »

Skywalker wrote:There must be a giant shield over Caroline Springs or something, just tipped 0.5mm out of the gauge to bring my total up to 6.5mm! Well below the totals the rest of you around Melbourne are getting. Even Johnno got 20mm. :?
Yes, that sounds about right. Rockbank got 3mm. Deer Park 7.4mm (with 0.6mm today) and this is if I am reading the Melbourne Water website correctly!
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

The main bay shower stream has shifted to the western edge of the bay now thanks to the flow turning more southerly as the high approaches. We've had a few light showers here this evening but with any luck we'll get stuck under heaps tonight and overnight if this stream can set up properly and keep going. It would be nice to add to the 3.7mm I've had so far, the rain didn't get far inland away from the areas east of Melbourne.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

I'm near the showgrounds Nafets about half a km West of you, thats interesting that you have had 33mm perhaps my 32mm is feasible then in my manual guage . Yeah the showers have been good to 10ks west of the city but further west the falls become less.
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Coming down nicely now, small drops so the radar doesn't do it justice atm. If this stream continues all night (and from experience they tend to more often than not) there could possibly be 5mm+ which would make things a lot more respectable. Great thing about this time of year is that you are never out of it until the high centre actually passes over. Showers usually continue as long as there is a southerly flow of any description. I would expect showers to continue until tomorrow afternoon and mainly west central to central areas. It will ensure a very cold morning on Tuesday IMO as the high moves right in.
j
johnno
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by johnno »

My Manual guage says another 12mm since yesterday but my automatic station says 5.5mm since yesterday afternoon if I go by my hand guage I've had 45mm for this system which seems high if I go by my automatic station I have had 25mm.

Be interesting to see what Nafets had?? I've Another 12mm from yesterday morning until this morning and 45mm for the system if he/she has had a similar amount then I would have to say the 45mm seems right.
Anyway whatever I had even somewhere inbetween those 2 amounts it has been an excellent system out this way 1 of the best this Year! Behind the March 6th/7th storm/rain event and Feb 11th storm, its the systems that creep up on you that are often the best. Not bad for a block ;)
Blackee
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by Blackee »

Jagged another 1mm overnight, bringing the event total to 20mm.
Very happy chappy!! :D

Radar sequence from 7am Saturday til 10pm Saturday
http://radar.strikeone.net.au/?fuseacti ... 1275740400
Mansfield 370m and Elwood
f
firestorm
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by firestorm »

15.6mm here good start to the month :D
D
David
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by David »

21mm over the weekend a really nice surprise system. :D
d
droughtbreaker
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by droughtbreaker »

Finally got something worthwhile with 4.8mm overnight and this morning. 8.5mm all up. Next system looks like the same areas will do well IMHO, not expecting a great deal here but would be nice to get 10mm+ Hopefully towards the end of the month this damn block can clear away and we can actually get a proper winter cold front with NW flow and NW cloud band. Models indicating that we will see a NW cloud band develop in around a week or a bit longer. Both EC and GFS are at this stage holding the block indefinitely but seeing we are talking up to 10 days out this is not set in stone and I wouldn't be surprised if a LWT slipped through after the long weekend and inland areas got a decent rain event.

I reckon the last 10 days of the month could see some major LWT action and better rainfall for areas away from the coast, basically on and north of the ranges.

June is usually the most reliable month for rainfall here as most years we see an abundance of strong fronts with NW flow and NW tropical moisture feed. It certainly isn't happening this year and the pattern looks more like August.
Petros
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Petros »

We got 2mm in light early morning rain although that cleared to a cold fine day for the Maffra Day at the Sale Race club on a heavy (8) track.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

Johnno, i had about 7mm, in between both. Strange figures between the manual and the automatic gauges!! For anyone who might not know yet, my name is Stefan, Nafets is my name backwards! :D
Go the bombersss!