Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Victoria: Low pressure system. March 4th-10th 2010

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
mick
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Victoria: Low pressure system. March 4th-10th 2010

Post by mick »

Can we get to 100 pages??

Hamlan, that white blob was all hail. I looked at that from the rear in your pic.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

:rotfl: We've had tennis ball hail, golf ball hail, marble hail, we've even had onion-sized hail - but I think I've seen it all now.

I present to you, guinea pig hail (taken in Lysterfield) :laughing:

daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

Superb Lily!

That poor fella must have had a wild ride :o :o

Although I reckon I'd prefer to be smacked on the head by a guinea pig than a 10cm block of supercooled ice :laughing:
H
Hamlan
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by Hamlan »

Rodent hail! what a storm Lily :laughing:

Just letting anyone interested know that I have posted images from our (John and Brad's) chase on Friday 5th March in and west of Bendigo in the stormchasing thread. Check out the pics of what turned out to be the entree to a great chase weekend and we even had a surprise after dark........ :D ;) http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... f=23&t=260
damiantheomen
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by damiantheomen »

hey karl was wondering if you have finished that storm map of lysterfeild yet am really interested to see it :P
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Still compiling it and will be hoping to get down to Lily's soon again. I have been really busy with work.

I might even do a event package and send out some info to members if they want it. An idea I am working on.
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

That sounds interesting, Karl :)

Let me know, I'm on leave from tomorrow afternoon for a while. After tomorrow no car, so no work unfortunately, so I've taken a bit of leave over the school holidays.

Tee, any news on the house? I was talking to my friend who is a local real estate agent, she said the first thing they did was compile a list of all vendors and purchasers and hit the phones to find out about damage. Tuesday morning they were calling the purchasers to let them all know. This is with an agent in Rowville who also has homes that have sold in the immediate area of your new home. Hope you get some guidance and solid info soon :(

Edit: Oh! Good news today, we had our roof "made safe" today (ie. gaping holes have been repaired, but still all of the broken/chipped tiles that won't cause further damage have to be fixed) so it can rain now, I feel a bit more comfortable knowing that's been done :) It took three men all day to repair the bad ones and fix all the 'mud' that had fallen away from the ridges. We've still got holes in the flashing but I think they've all been filled with silicone now so hopefully we're reasonably water tight at last.
daviescr
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by daviescr »

mick wrote:Can we get to 100 pages??
I think that would be a yes Mick....
stratospear
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stratospear »

Finally got to develop slide film photo of the beast slamming into Mt Dandenong. View from Maroondah Hwy, Lilydale. Note greenage over Boronia area.
tizza
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by tizza »

I found this one. It was only uploaded on the 22nd of March and it's from Rowville. It's not bad at all. Lily thank your lucky stars you weren't home, this woman was alone and I think she did a remarkable job at staying reasonably calm.
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

Woah, and that was only one window! I've said a few times now, I think it was lucky we weren't at home, not with all windows on the W/SW side along the entire front of the house broken. Knowing me, I would have been upstairs at the windows with the kids watching lol. We've got one of the kid's friends here tonight, she lives up the road. Her mum was telling me that she grabbed her children as the windows broke at the back of the house (family area), they huddled in the hallway, but then had to retreat around behind the stairs as hail and glass was flying through the house all the way down the hall - probably approx. 6ish metres through the house.

I'm getting my new car Monday - yippee! They rang this afternoon to say it's all gone through and my replacement car has been sourced at a dealer in Doncaster. I'm so relieved :D

Wow at your photo, Strato - beast indeed!
L
Lily
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Lily »

This Youtube clip shows some images of one of my client's homes - they live over the road and slightly further to the north behind us, effectively two houses away. There are four more homes the same or lesser distance from us that have suffered similar damage, and of course many others further afield through the estates that have faced the same fate. Some of these pics show the ceilings before they have completely collapsed, for example the kitchen when I saw it was destroyed although earlier pics in this film show the kitchen still relatively intact. The rooms were collapsing one by one and it didn't all happen in one day to many of these people. Given the size of the holes in their roofs and the rain that followed on the Sunday, it makes sense that further collapses were inevitable.

I knew that the teenage kids were putting something together and have been waiting for them to put them up online, therefore I haven't shared the pictures I had taken of their home myself before now, it wasn't my place to do so of course. The damage when seen in the flesh is indescribable, but the following will give you an idea of what many families in the vicinity have had to deal with.

AUSSKY
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUSSKY »

That is totally unbelieveable.........
Australian Sky & Weather (AUSSKY)
Victoria - The State of Drizzle & Occasional Tornadoes
(1999 -2016)
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

Thats very sad, thats Totaled.
Imagine how that family is feeling, just coming to terms with it, then the frustration will be ongoing.
We had our west facing old window wall changed over few years ago new frames and 10.38 & 6.38 clear laminated safety glass, sure paid off. So a hint for anyone re glazing, laminated has a film between 2 panes of glass, so if broken will hold the glass in place. Cant think of any advice for roof tiles tho.
AUS_Twisted
Storm Chaser
Reactions:

Post by AUS_Twisted »

Sad video for sure, the stupid thing is how people are told by insurance companies to leave the inside of the house as is. I would of been cutting holes in the plaster ceilings with early water damage to have less chance of it collapsing. I remember doing a ceiling replacement job on a old house years ago, the old insulation was so bad like thick heavy dust when we pulled the old plaster down it was up to our knee's throughout the whole room, took ages to put it in bags and clean it up (worst house job I've ever had to do)

It shows though how much weaker those terracotta tiles are, the heavier concrete tiles held up a lot better where the terracotta roofs around Lily's place have holes everywhere with clean breaks right through.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Hello everyone.

Just a reminder that Hamlan has posted up some really fantastic panoramic photos, which were taken by himself and John Allen from the BIG chase weekend of 6th and 7th March in central and north central Vic and south central NSW the same weekend as the Melbourne hail storm.

You can see the pics in the storm chase section here: http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... 157#p15157

And in the photography section here: http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... 140#p15140

I've been given word of some more great stuff to come as well. :D

This particular thread will be locked again in the next few days.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Karl Lijnders
Tornadic Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Karl Lijnders »

Any further information can be placed into this thread, just let the mods know once it is locked.

One of the most amazing storms, incredible footage still coming through.

Looking at Stratos picture, you can see how it engulfed the southern side of the Dandenongs and the foothills and plains to the west. That roll cloud looked mean rolling in over the west of the Dandenongs!!!
Former Owner - The Australian Weather Forum. Email me anytime - weatherman1000@hotmail.com