Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Cold outbreak 3 August - ?

Archived topics from the General Weather Discussion board.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: Cold outbreak 3 August - ?

Post by hillybilly »

Got a few cracking snow showers around lunch with the temperature dropping back to 0C. Missed the best which went to our north and south :( That band that went north of the city went up through Kinglake where I've seen photos of around 5cm.

BTW friend at Walkerville at 150m had heavy snow this morning which settled in the garden. Would put that at something like a once in 10 to 20 years there. Very unusual, but not unheard of (it can snow on the beach down there on very rare occasions).
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Had a great snow shower here about an hour ago - lasted a good half hour and almost white-out conditions. 0.4c while snowing. Unfortunately, didn't fully settle on the ground, but settled on the deck and other surfaces.
D
Derwent
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by Derwent »

Snow showers here in Hobart at 170 metres absl. Sorry I can't see the mountain completely covered in clouds. Enjoy all. 😉
B
BringOnTheCoolChange
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by BringOnTheCoolChange »

Views from main part of Warburton.

B
BringOnTheCoolChange
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

BringOnTheCoolChange wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:26 pm Views from main part of Warburton.

Both pics were taken about 15 minutes ago
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Decent snow shower in Wallan too, my cousin told me. A lot of facebook videos popping up.

How come we had similar conditions at 10:30am, yet it didn't snow in parts of Melbourne?

I understand elevation probably has a lot to do, but temps were definitely okay for it (2 degrees at Laverton, Geelong, Cerberus, Frankston, Cranbourne for example), and heavy precipitation.
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
B
BringOnTheCoolChange
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

stevco123 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:32 pm Decent snow shower in Wallan too, my cousin told me. A lot of facebook videos popping up.

How come we had similar conditions at 10:30am, yet it didn't snow in parts of Melbourne?

I understand elevation probably has a lot to do, but temps were definitely okay for it (2 degrees at Laverton, Geelong, Cerberus, Frankston, Cranbourne for example), and heavy precipitation.
Only 0c guarantees definite snow with heavy precipitation, it has drizzled at 2c on Donna Buang in the past. Cannot explain it much more, others would know more than me on this one.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

BringOnTheCoolChange wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:37 pm
stevco123 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:32 pm Decent snow shower in Wallan too, my cousin told me. A lot of facebook videos popping up.

Only 0c guarantees definite snow with heavy precipitation, it has drizzled at 2c on Donna Buang in the past. Cannot explain it much more, others would know more than me on this one.
Yes, agreed, but it wasn't zero at Wallan for example. I have seen snow fall in Europe at 5 degrees (wet, large and sticky flakes), and i have also seen it rain at -1 degrees too.

I'm just annoyed I guess haha
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Was 6c in Wallan when it first started, but quickly dropped to 2c and the snow became quite thick.
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

Still some speckled banding on the sat images (over bass currently), so few more showers to come. Could be cold enough for a snow shower or two.

Nudging 10c in the city now.
f
flyfisher
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flyfisher »

The second low over WA now looks like impacting Victoria, hoping areas in the north of Victoria get a good drink from that.
B
BringOnTheCoolChange
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

stevco123 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:48 pm
BringOnTheCoolChange wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:37 pm

Yes, agreed, but it wasn't zero at Wallan for example. I have seen snow fall in Europe at 5 degrees (wet, large and sticky flakes), and i have also seen it rain at -1 degrees too.

I'm just annoyed I guess haha
Yep a bit annoyed here too, last year's event was better, just about every mountain in the valley had snow on it to low levels, some of the top level paddocks and farms around the Yarra Valley even had snow covering on it last year, it was even just above the Oshannassy aqueduct trail.
B
BringOnTheCoolChange
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

It snowed in Sunbury today. :o
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

BringOnTheCoolChange wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:23 pm It snowed in Sunbury today. :o
Yep. see what i mean haha. Although it definitely can't be ruled out that in that wave this morning there was some small flakes mixed in. Some of the drops in amongst the graupel were "suspicious" ;)

Still a notable event. My hourly temps for the day are quite remarkable for where we are on planet Earth:

8am - 3.5
9am- 4.3
10am- 4.6
11am - 2.6
12pm - 3.4
1pm - 5.7
2pm - 6.8
3pm - 6.8

Maximum was 7.8, settling back to around 6 now.
Last edited by stevco123 on Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
Sean
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

Every shower that's passing through right now seems to be hail bearing. Just wish it was more cloudy. It's amazing how quickly the temp spikes when the sun peeks through in between. It might be interesting tonight if the showers persist
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Often comes down to the type of showers and the depth of the clouds. The band that went through the northern burbs were quite deep and persistent. The depth of the cloud is required to allow snowflake formation (typically you need cloud tops around -15C, otherwise water will tend to sit as super cooled droplets). Persistent precip will chill the air below the cloud and allow snow to fall to lower levels. It can also generate downdrafts which push the flakes down faster (so less time to melt).

This morning when the precip started in the Dandenongs the cloud was shallow stratiform so we had drizzle at ~2.5C. When the showers deepened it turned to snow at the same time.

This arvo we've had graupel and snow with every shower with a temperature between 2 and 3C.
B
BringOnTheCoolChange
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

hillybilly wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:00 pm

Often comes down to the type of showers and the depth of the clouds. The band that went through the northern burbs were quite deep and persistent. The depth of the cloud is required to allow snowflake formation (typically you need cloud tops around -15C, otherwise water will tend to sit as super cooled droplets). Persistent precip will chill the air below the cloud and allow snow to fall to lower levels. It can also generate downdrafts which push the flakes down faster (so less time to melt).

This morning when the precip started in the Dandenongs the cloud was shallow stratiform so we had drizzle at ~2.5C. When the showers deepened it turned to snow at the same time.

This arvo we've had graupel and snow with every shower with a temperature between 2 and 3C.
Thanks for the info, Which site do you use to get info for cloud temps?
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

BringOnTheCoolChange wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:21 pm Yep a bit annoyed here too
And here obviously, but that's to be expected where I am.

Until I convince my other half to sell & move from this pathetic western suburban dump I'm confined to a life of meteorological boredom & frustration. :x
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
n
nafets
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by nafets »

BringOnTheCoolChange wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:09 pm
hillybilly wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:00 pm

Thanks for the info, Which site do you use to get info for cloud temps?
Not sure where hillybilly looks at this info, but your best bet is an infrared satellite image. You can find this information in a clickable format on windy.com or the Bureau's site. You'll need to select the infrared settings on each of the links in the sidebar.

https://www.windy.com/-Satellite-satell ... ,145.034,7

http://satview.bom.gov.au/
Go the bombersss!
B
BringOnTheCoolChange
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Skywalker wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:17 pm
BringOnTheCoolChange wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:21 pm Yep a bit annoyed here too
And here obviously, but that's to be expected where I am.

Until I convince my other half to sell & move from this pathetic western suburban dump I'm confined to a life of meteorological boredom & frustration. :x
Lol move to Liawanee or Miena, Tasmania, then you can brag about how much snow you get and you won't have a lockdown either! ;)