Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Tropics day to day weather talk

Event discussion and analysis for Australia's northern tropics, including day to day weather and tropical cyclones.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Tropics day to day weather talk

Post by Dormant »

That was some wind yesterday/last night, must be lots of debris around. . And a hot day coming today.
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

Dormant wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:47 am ....... . And a hot day coming today.
And humid too.
I was about to switch off and go to bed at 05:30 this morning, and it was so muggy I checked the conditions.
It was 28.1°, with an apparent temp of 33.2°,-- the DP was 24.7° and RH of 82%. No wonder I was sweaty & uncomfortable.
S
Slipperyfish
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Slipperyfish »

Very oppressive down here as well. I had to bring the poor old dog in last night to share the aircon, which we only tend to use under extreme conditions. Bugger all breeze, so even a cleverly designed home suffers in these conditions.

Looks like we have a few days of it yet, I even turned down a trip to the reef!

Must be getting old....
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

Well, slippery you only wanted to save the reef from suntan lotion, right?
S
Slipperyfish
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Slipperyfish »

Dormant wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:55 am Well, slippery you only wanted to save the reef from suntan lotion, right?
Now there’s a point Dormant!

This body would require a fair bit of lotion too!
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Yeah I saved the reef from suntan lotion today Dormant...

Sure are regretting it now though...

man it was hot out there..the fish must have thought so too, so we spent most of the day snorkelling....

Good Noreaster kicked up in the early afternoon though still very hot and humid...

This past week has been the first really bad week for the summer for me...

We just missed some really bad storms that knocked out power all around Mena creek and Innisfail area on Friday night...plenty of trees and powerlines down....

bring on the wet season please..
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

Hickory wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:01 am
marakai wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:45 am G'day all and a happy happy New Year to you all :)

We've had a total of about 6 mm since the start of the year here so far, ...... just got to love the vagaries of the Weather huh? Whether you get some Rain or not .

Been watching it hit all around us over the last week or so, some awesome light shows just tonight alone with a late 80's feel to the strobe effect down to the south east from us here, FCKU being under that event as it was pulsing like an epileptic on Acid watching it from here earlier tonight.
I watched a fair bit of the radar images tonight, and there were 4 or 5 cells that looked like the ran over the top of your joint.
Especially between 22:00 & midnight. If they missed you,- it was by SFA, distance wise. You can't miss out every time,- sh!t. no-one is that unlucky. :P
He He Wanna bet ? I can see it and smell it but we get SFA, I reckon the radar is lying quite a bit as well, we are apparently coping a great deal of rain right now but not a drop yet. We got just over 1,5mm out of Fridays effort.
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

Fantastic light show out to the west at the moment tho, and the breeze has cooled things down like magic, we got to 42 here today and it's only really just dropped off in the last twenty minutes with these cells passing by , currently 28 and falling nicely.
Hoping we get at least a little bit at least from this lot heading in now.
Can smell it and the wind is just picking up now....fingers and toes crossed.
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

We just had one of the best thunderstorms in many moons.
Rattling the whole house for about 40 mins. Bordering on scary,

Dropped the temp by about 5° and the DP by 3°. Almost pleasant ATM.
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Marakai... 42°....!

No idea Chillagoe. I'm in Melbourne tonight. Been freezing at 13° mornings. Today has been warmer, but I've still got 3 layers of merino on, boots with wool socks.... and my summer trousers. 🥶🥶🥶😝
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

I dare to whine that one milllimetre thunderstorms is of little use...though it does eclipse the sun for awhile..
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

Quite pleasing to see a good assortment of storm cells floating around the area to start the day.
Hoping a few cross overhead of Holloways. ;)
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

HI Marakai , Thought you would of had some good falls after what was seen passing.

Watch a storm cell pass Monday as I was rolling grass seed in to some new pasteur , missed us by 100m .

Storm on friday gave us 1mm , but took out my modem and adsl line so I'm hotspotting from my phone with crap service.

Good too see a few storms around down south , but I would rather see our wet season and a trough bring good rain too all.

Cheers
S
Slipperyfish
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Slipperyfish »

50mm yesterday morning and another 10mm this morning. The yard loving it.

Plenty of storms just off the coast but nothing steering them at the moment. Very muggy and still.
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

If you know very well where you are located on Bom's rain radar map which has a graduated coloured strip underneath, and a large mass with a large area of red and yellow passes right over you and no rain falls, what exactly do those red and yellows mean.
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

Dormant wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:01 pm If you know very well where you are located on Bom's rain radar map which has a graduated coloured strip underneath, and a large mass with a large area of red and yellow passes right over you and no rain falls, what exactly do those red and yellows mean.
An over egged radar M8, that's what we have been seeing up here at Mary Farms. I know exactly where we are on the Radar Map on the 64 and 128 k and have watched the clouds come in over us with zero rain on us yet showing the blues and yellows on Radar right over us .
Today we got our first decent fall of the year, well over 50mm so far and still falling, nothing torrential at all but just good heavy falls and it looks like more to come as well over night. This will get the grass growing for sure.
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

28degrees wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:05 pm Marakai... 42°....!

No idea Chillagoe. I'm in Melbourne tonight. Been freezing at 13° mornings. Today has been warmer, but I've still got 3 layers of merino on, boots with wool socks.... and my summer trousers. 🥶🥶🥶😝
Sorry C@28 but all I can picture is the Michelin Woman, take care you don't fall over in all that wrapping as it might be a tad difficult getting back up.
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

FNQBunyip wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:27 am HI Marakai , Thought you would of had some good falls after what was seen passing.

Watch a storm cell pass Monday as I was rolling grass seed in to some new pasteur , missed us by 100m .

Storm on friday gave us 1mm , but took out my modem and adsl line so I'm hotspotting from my phone with crap service.

Good too see a few storms around down south , but I would rather see our wet season and a trough bring good rain too all.

Cheers
We got a touch under 1.5 from the Sunday night storms, power out for three hours and a few little light dustings early morning Tuesday before dawn. Been really frustrating watching it fall a K or so away and getting nothing but this arvo/ evening has been great.
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

marakai wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:53 pm Today we got our first decent fall of the year, well over 50mm so far and still falling, nothing torrential at all but just good heavy falls and it looks like more to come as well over night. This will get the grass growing for sure.
Good soaking rain. That hand feeding stock isn't cheap, I'd imagine.
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

marakai wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:02 pm
28degrees wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:05 pm Marakai... 42°....!

Sorry C@28 but all I can picture is the Michelin Woman, take care you don't fall over in all that wrapping as it might be a tad difficult getting back up.
Yep, Michelin Woman...
Too much time in house with no windows open. 😵😬 And it's worse. I'm not actually in Melbourne, I'm in Warrnambool. At least our rain has been clean down here. And wind, wow, truly amazing winds.

Got an EWN notification half hour ago, actually naming Chillagoe. I can see the blue mass on Cairns radar. Wondering if Chillagoe will get it.

Apparently had 60+mm yesterday morning. House will be hidden by weeds when I get back.