Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Tropics day to day weather talk

Event discussion and analysis for Australia's northern tropics, including day to day weather and tropical cyclones.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Tropics day to day weather talk

Post by marakai »

Dormant wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:40 am Nice post, Marakai, chatty even.

Am enjoying the drippy weather, and cooler. before the sodden and sticky. Not enjoying the mossies buzzing in my ear in the middle of the night, hence why I'm up now at 2am. Guess I'll have to ask partner for another sweep with the mister - wish this new machine was easier for me to start, even with a bracket to anchor the base on the bench I can't pull strongly enough and for once it's not old age.

Gladdens my heart to see green everywhere...
Probably closer to rambling drunk than chatty Dormant, but it look's like the Termites are right on going by the forecast for the end of this week at least.
Any news on that fella who went missing at the Daintree village Creb track crossing ? March flys are starting to kick in here over the last week, green, red and green eyed ones that just want to take a bite out of you and feel like you have been hit by a hot wire, along with the Kamikaze Cicada;s that insist on hitting you in the face every night once they have got their wings working ( the chooks love them).

One of the worst hot humid days here so far this year, spent the night/day down in Cairns, came home to 44 in the shed and not even a breath of wind to be had when we got back, reminds me of the late nineties when we got a heap of lightning storms with little rain.

Merry Christmas all and a prosperous new year to each and every one of you reading this post. :D
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

Was at a small gathering of locals yesterday, the lost young man was mentioned but no news. Was upriver closer to Beryl Wruck's loss a fair few years ago.

Thunder overnight and it continues today though after crossing Cairns continues straight north somewhat off the coast. Seems rain is due in the next few days. Haven't noticed march flies but those living closer to the coast seem bothered...
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Hello weather watchers :)

Hope you all had a happy and safe Christmas..
Nice thunder and flashes well before dawn , but sweet FA , as dormant says cross the coast south and sit just off as they travel north.

Plenty of marsh/march flies up our way and down along the river.

No the fella that went back with tractor and missing bloke not there, took the keys with him. had been hanging around the village for a couple of days.
Was described as a bit strange.
Lots of effort looking for someone who doesn't want to be found/hiding.

Bring on a storm or just rain..

Cheers
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Oh yeah this is more like it.

Dormant will be unplugged , and I'm about to pull the plug on the modem.

Send it down.

Cheers
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

Lol, I'm always unplugged.

But good bit of weather, I spent the last hour asleep, so cool and restful. 13mmm all up. Hope Marakai got some of that, it did spread further inland than I expected, even as far as Mt Carbine, I think.
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Fairly decent tropical depression north of Fiji.
https://www.vmgd.gov.vu/vmgd/index.php/ ... roup-chart
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

28degrees wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:25 pm Fairly decent tropical depression north of Fiji.
https://www.vmgd.gov.vu/vmgd/index.php/ ... roup-chart
You should have gotten a few mm's out of that lot, c@28.

I watched another good one go just east of you about 03:45h this morn. Didn't miss you by much at all
Flatrock TM got 11mm out of it.

F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

:)

Was hoping to read Marakai had had a nice total and even 28° should of got something.

I had 19mm in the gauge this morning and it was just loverly storm rain full of goodies for the gardens and pastures .

After I unplugged the modem and tech , I went out and was cleaning leaves from the downpipe that flows to my tanks.
I'm standing on the 3rd step of the ladder when I get a huge jolt , a millisecond before the flash and then bang.
I jumped back / was booted and managed to land on my feet with a lot of tingling in my arm and fingers and a bit of an
increase in heart rate ( thumping like buggery) Wow what a thrill .. lol
This is the second time I have had this experience, don't really want the 3rd.

So what is in store for the days ahead?

Cheers
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

24mm

Storm started around 3.30pm, with big balls of dust blowing down every street, and through my house while I was too busy watching it.
IMG_20191226_155105-1459x1094.jpg
IMG_20191226_155105-1459x1094.jpg (306.53 KiB) Viewed 8164 times
Great storm, good rain, lightning & thunder, on & off for several hours.

We're all very very happy out here this morning.
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

And green very soon, 28, good to see your falls..

Bunyip, Same amount here, 19mm Certainly been a few blasts with little warning. I'm sure your agility saved you...Maybe why we left off the gutters, sounds like tedious work.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Very nice 28..hopefully settled the dust for while and greens thing up for you...What did you end up with marakai…?

It must be looking positively lush around the Daintree at the moment...even Cooktown scored well yesterday...over 100 mm's in places apparently..

Hours of thunder in the west yesterday arvo but bugga all actual rain down here a few mm's at most...

The random thunderstorms out at the reef yesterday caused us to abort our planned overnighter halfway out..the lightening strikes hitting the ocean directly in front of us were the main concern........the sloppy seas and 15 knot Northerly also didn't help...nor did the paralysis tick in the back of my head....first time I have felt so seasick in years...

I certainly didn't want to feel that " Tingley feeling" that you got Bunyip...!...pretty scary that I bet..
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

28degrees wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:56 am Storm started around 3.30pm, with big balls of dust blowing down every street, and through my house while I was too busy watching it.
Great storm, good rain, lightning & thunder, on & off for several hours.
That Flatrock alert to your east ended up getting 147mm to 09:00h.
The cells went straight over it. A matter of being lucky enough to be right underneath one.
Should be plenty more out your way, 28.
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

7mm this afternoon. 1mm yesterday. My trees are looking much happier, Cat3 water restrictions watering twice a week since 2017. :cry:
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

G'day/Evening all

Yep Dormant and Bunyip we got a 14mm total out of those falls the other day and maybe a half mm since from passing showers as well. Probably not as much as you guy's but it will do us fine for now. Wasn't the lightning and thunder great huh ? I could see and hear all the action over your way from out the front here.

We got not as much as some in the local area but also more than some others, the main thing though is that it has given the first bit of grow from the last decent fall some life again and we can see a bit of green tinge in the front paddocks, the cattle and horses aren't hanging at the gates over the last day or two all day either and have their heads down for a change picking away at the new growth which is great for the new calves. Just need a bit of follow up now to set the new growth off good and proper and get some good sub soil moisture in place so the paddocks kick off well.

We lost power for just over half hour the other night, ( Boxing day I think) right in the middle of preparing a couple of home grown rolled roast's for dinner, (gotta love gas cooking right ?) got the Niece and Nephew up from Cairns for a week or so and they just about lost their violet wondering when the power was coming back on and why we just didn't start the genny right off, no lights, no tv, no Internet etc, God knows how we survived as a species just a hundred years back.... Oooop's the fire went out....What now.....

We've got satellite internet, don't really have to worry about the lightning frying the lines but we lose connection every time the rain gets decent over head, PITA when you are right in the middle of something like downloading the latest Vikings or sending a reply or Email etc, but you get used to these things I guess, not like you have to go harvest the materials and reweave your blanket for smoke signals again huh ?

Our home phone has been out since that lightning storm though, along with all the 5 neighbours with phones as well on this side of the creek at least. Sort of missing all those regular auto voice call's from Nicole @ telstra NBN telling me our internet will be cut off within 24 hr's unless I push 1 to talk to a technician, (which I just love to do, Push the speaker button and the leave the phone in the chook pen) but what if I win lotto or something huh ?, got no damn Optus mobile here either unless we climb up on the roof while the wind is blowing the right way. Getting up there ain't so bad, but the climb down that make shift wobbly ladder becomes interesting after a few 55% home brew Bloody Mary's let me tell you.

Here's hoping for some more great weather in the next week or two, might be a late monsoon but a good one none the less, been some great cells popping up over the last week all about our general area and even some localized flooding down Mackay way even the last day or so. Been watching the lightning out to our West from here C@28, some patchy cells all over the place , must be painful to see , watch and smell the rain as they go by but not get any relief from them huh ? Believe me Mate I know the feeling, been doing it the last week or so out here with these cells dropping rain only a couple of Km away from home here. Our time will come.

If I don't get back before, I wish a very happy and prosperous new year to all.
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

So funny a post, Marakai, you're a rough diamond.

And so glad the greening up for your menagerie, was surprised it wasn't more given I was watching the tracks of blobs and much was inland.

It was all pretty mild for us no great blasts to shake open cracks in the slab roof though a few drips to patch once again. The satellite internet is still on temporary abeyance so no bills coming in as the landline adsl is so faithful. And yes, Nicole has been trying to alarm us for weeks now, unusual for our phone to ring at all not being very sociable people.

I see Proserpine airport got 150mm in the last 24 hours, remarkable, and it's still sitting under the rain blob.

I assume you're streaming Vikings from SBS, I regret they no longer allow downloading for watching later but they do have some great series.

Cheers to you.
S
Slipperyfish
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Slipperyfish »

Nice drop overnight of 20mm. Keep the grass green.

Had 2860mm for the year. Started strong, ended miserably. Down almost 500mm on the previous year.

Love to see a big widespread system come through down south. Poor buggers. Nature will do what nature will do. We know that all too well up here.

Hope 2020 gets better!
M
MrDolphin
New User
Reactions:

Post by MrDolphin »

Lovely thunderstorm on Cairns northern beaches just now with good rain and window rattling thunder.
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

MrDolphin wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:51 pm Lovely thunderstorm on Cairns northern beaches just now with good rain and window rattling thunder.
Yep, was a good drop. Here at Holloways, I've recorded 39.8mm since 09:00, and 9.8mm up to 09:00h.
I'd be happy to get that every couple of days.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Nice to see everyone getting a drop or 2..

40 mm here till 9am this morning.....very nice soaking rain too...

and more storms forecast all week...

Just wish the south could get some...very sad seeing all that country burn along with all the poor critters and peoples homes.. ..
Last edited by scott12 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

You could probably call it 1mm from the edge of this afternoon's storms.
If I was to check at the correct time of 9am it will all be evaporated.