Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Tropics day to day weather talk

Event discussion and analysis for Australia's northern tropics, including day to day weather and tropical cyclones.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Tropics day to day weather talk

Post by scott12 »

FNQBunyip wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:17 pm
Dormant wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:10 am I've been told they had another 'event' back in 2004 but I know nothing.
English girl , Lucy Keen was left with brain damage after falling off because the person responsible for hooking her up didn't do his job.

Cheers
yeah the guide in that case said he had a "hangover" and forgot to check if she was properly hooked up....he actually was sentenced to prison time...not sure how much he did though...

starting to green up nicely down here and a million weeds are sprouting......went down to Hinchinbrook island the last couple of weekends and it looks like the Cardwell area missed the rain...its very dry down that way...

You guys in the north should be thankful that services and infrastructure are restricted ..it sure slows down development.....

Mission beach is set to be turned into an huge investment scheme with Mayfair 101 having bought Dunk island and put options on a further 200 or so properties....The council is bending over backward to allow it all happen as well....2 new resorts and fixing up the existing one planned for Dunk as well as the commercial boat ramp with pens for mooring vessels.....it looks like it was ripe for the picking with low property prices and low returns on investment from bank interest so big investers are putting their money into making as much more as they can by creating an investment "bubble" here and getting planning permission for a number of projects and then probably onselling them to make more money...……...so much for the village atmosphere ……….

this is the disgusting cretin behind it all...
W
Weary
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Weary »

W
Weary
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Weary »

You guys in the north should be thankful that services and infrastructure are restricted ..it sure slows down development.....

Mission beach is set to be turned into an huge investment scheme with Mayfair 101 having bought Dunk island and put options on a further 200 or so properties....The council is bending over backward to allow it all happen as well....2 new resorts and fixing up the existing one planned for Dunk as well as the commercial boat ramp with pens for mooring vessels.....it looks like it was ripe for the picking with low property prices and low returns on investment from bank interest so big investers are putting their money into making as much more as they can by creating an investment "bubble" here and getting planning permission for a number of projects and then probably onselling them to make more money...……...so much for the village atmosphere ……….

this is the disgusting cretin behind it all...
[/quote]

Scott, I know it sounds bad, but soooo many of these developments start off as huge mega developments and then fade down to one hotel. AQUIS anyone?
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

scott12 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:16 pm .... this is the disgusting cretin behind it all...
He's saying:- ".... Dunk Island is a natural extension of their Venice, Italy development"
WTF ??
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ayasifiedshak »

Yeah, makes you wonder, the people who previously owned it had "major plans" for a six star resort or something like that? basically they bought it for around 6 million , sat on it, let it deteriorate, then sold it six or seven years later for nearly 30 million, not a bad investment there!

Thunderstorms have popped up on the forecast again for tomorrow, and having said that i heard my first storm bird a few days ago, also heard a few up on the tablelands on the weekend.
Why is it in the era of "Time saving" devices, that people are more "Time poor" than ever?

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

I don't know about storms around here just yet, have not had any real build up as such yet.
But it it good to see some rain falling out in the center of QLD , not wide spread but it is at least something,

Cheers
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Well looks like a few cells popping up out the back..

Cheers
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

I see that Bunyip, we're into pre-cyclone weather and out of the dry baking heat blast, I think.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Unlikely to get any stormage here but it sure is nice to see some activity out the back.....a bit of humidity and the odd shower and the storm season starting up...I love this time of year.....30c days and 20c nights ...just about perfect..!...and like you mention Dormant hopefully an end to that nasty dry heat..
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Weather's been beautiful out here the last week or so. Mostly mid 30s, and a couple only 30.
Rain on the Tableland producing cool winds. I think the worst of the big winds are over, fingers crossed.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

You been getting a bit of wind 28...?

We found October to be a very nice change windwise after a hellishly windy winter...last month we managed to get out on the ocean for 9 days and 4 nights in the new boat...freezer is nicely stocked with reef fish and the missus had had some nice snorkelling....had some such flat days that we have even been able to launch straight off the beachfront at South mission on a couple of occasions...

have you managed to get out amongst them Bunyip..?
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

scott12 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:41 pmYou been getting a bit of wind 28...?
Oh yes, we've had some strong winds, til just a few days ago. Even howling in the night time. Got so I had to shut the back doors & windows for a few days. Wiping dust off the laptop every day even though it's covered, god knows what it's like inside.
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

scott12 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:41 pm
have you managed to get out amongst them Bunyip..?

Unfortunately not mate, The misses don,t like me going out alone and the good weather always seems to fall on work days for her.
Some years I don't know why we own a boat.
However with the longer days now , sometimes it is just nice to put the boat in in the arvo and sit down the mouth till dark.

Got all my lawns done this morning , now the grass is growing it all looks sweet again.

Can't see us getting any rain in the near future :(

Cheers
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

So much for my optimistic sturm und drang, nada, nix. Better stop mowing.
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ayasifiedshak »

Well the wife told me it was going to rain, and now the weather station is saying it is going to rain.... so i guess it is going to rain? :P
Why is it in the era of "Time saving" devices, that people are more "Time poor" than ever?

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

ayasifiedshak wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:56 pm Well the wife told me it was going to rain, and now the weather station is saying it is going to rain.... so i guess it is going to rain? :P
Send some of it out here please. :))
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Rain ...where...?...

The forecasts are saying dryer than average for the rest of the year....

I just hope we get some storms..my creeks are slowing right down again...
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

scott12 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:49 pm Rain ...where...?...
That was my thought too. I wish... Just a quick storm would be nice, even if it missed town as long as it dropped nearby.
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ayasifiedshak »

Nope, no rain....Seems like they both lied! 😂🤣

D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

If it's pushed back far enough, often enough, we'll be into The Wet and they'll be spot on...