Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Tropics day to day weather talk

Event discussion and analysis for Australia's northern tropics, including day to day weather and tropical cyclones.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Tropics day to day weather talk

Post by 28degrees »

Daily 40+ degrees now.
Doona (just) at night, almost time to change to a blanket, just not quite.
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Sooo the forecast has been for a few showers this week and it seems to be holding.
Will we get anything ?

Cheers
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Just another 40 degree day.

Friday we had some scattered storms come past, even some thunder. Could even smell the water in the air, but nothing on the ground, my rain guage is still dry.

A few more fires have started up again just to the south of us. Luckily the smoke is blowing to the west side of town.
W
Weary
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Weary »

25mm of rain overnight :D :D
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

Woohoo, Weary, we had 5mm by sunrise but another 17mm sits in the gauge waiting for the rest.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Wow how nice was that..not exactly sure how much there was here but I would estimate around a couple of inches..Japoonvale got over 100 mm …

geez it was needed too.....there will certainly be some weed sproutage now...and a bit of humidity...finally starting to feel like summer...…

I was talking to a customer in Darwin yesterday..he said it was up to 42c and they hadn't seen rain for over 4 months....sounds a bit like Chilligo..
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

Heavy showers starting again tonight. I emptied out 29 mm this morning at Holloway's.
How quickly the grass greens up,- all in less than 20 hours too.

" Darwin Airport registered its second warmest day on record on Monday. The mercury reached a top of 38.2 degrees.
This was the site's second highest temperature in 78 years of records, beaten only by 38.9 degrees in October 1982."

We may have another 6 weeks before those sort of temps.
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

We didn't get any rain of course, but yesterday (22nd) was a whole 9° cooler than usual at 31°C. Spoiled by the horrible constant strong winds and occasional whirlwinds. *Everything* is now covered in a layer of fine grit, not just dust.
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

Another 14.2 mm last night.
Even back into a flanny shirt & tracky dax. The wind felt chilly, even though it didn't get below 21°.
W
Weary
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Weary »

Aaaand another 14mm last night. Time to get the mower out.
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ayasifiedshak »

About 70mm here over the past few days, has got the smaller creeks flowing again....for a few days.
Why is it in the era of "Time saving" devices, that people are more "Time poor" than ever?

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

Weary wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:58 am Time to get the mower out.
No,no,no, ...... time to ring the mowerman ! :P
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Hickory wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:51 pm
Weary wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:58 am Time to get the mower out.
No,no,no, ...... time to ring the mowerman ! :P
haha ..nothing better than the feeling of looking at the grass once finished...Job well done !!

What do you north of the Daintree guys think of this…..very sad but I always thought that the lack of emergency services just came with the territory...?https://7news.com.au/news/disaster-and- ... 1HwyzczU0]
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

scott12 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:29 pm What do you north of the Daintree guys think of this…..very sad but I always thought that the lack of emergency services just came with the territory...?https://7news.com.au/news/disaster-and- ... 1HwyzczU0]
In this particular case, getting an ambo there in 5 mins wouldn't have helped. The guy appears to have been killed on impact.
They have landline phones & internet, but too many people are becoming over reliant on smartphones and when there's no service they're totally gobsmacked.
The hospitality people and the tour operators know how to deal with emergencies, should they arise.
CNS Aero is 50 nautical miles away, so Rescue 510 is about 25 mins flying time away,- and given their remoteness that's acceptable in most cases,- it just wasn't in this one. RIP.
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Another 33mm this morning , very nice and so welcome.
Grass & weeds have shot away, and everything looks fresh.

AS for the lack of services.
I remember when the ferry only ran form 06:00 to 18:00 and camping because we were late getting home from Cairns.
Sadly with more people here there also comes a less savory side of things and police need to be on hand more often,
and more people also means more health issues so emergency services are needed.

I'm glad we have never had a bus crash over here because that will stretch things in a big way.

I miss the old quiet days , only a few cars getting around, not this endless stream back and forth, but it is what it is and they have been selling
the Daintree to the world for 20 years , so it is time that the necessary infrastructure is built and put in place to facilitate good out comes for
all the people coming here.

Hickory: land lines over here are some of the worst in the country, many have not had a consistent service in years, Telstra won't spend the money on laying new copper and they never put enough in in the first place, so they have digital pair gain systems in all over the place that fall over every time we get a heavy dew.. The system can't cope with demand.

Cheers
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

Surprisingly, we've had very good landline service and when needed, swift repairs. And my landline is my internet, very faithful. Can't say how well the mobile service works, I don't use it since visitors here used to have to walk up to the road to connect.

The death at the zipline. I looked at their website stills to see how it was arranged and do wonder if anchor backups were in place and maintenance kept up for the horrendous rust we're subjected to here (was everything marine stainless?).

If some banks won't loan over here, some insurance companies won't insure over unsealed roads are businesses like this able to get liability insurance for such events? And I've been told they had another 'event' back in 2004 but I know nothing.

It all looks such jolly fun... until it's not.

Another 17mm in the gauge, am not needing to pump the tank every week, yay.
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Dormant wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:10 am I've been told they had another 'event' back in 2004 but I know nothing.
English girl , Lucy Keen was left with brain damage after falling off because the person responsible for hooking her up didn't do his job.

Cheers
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

FNQBunyip wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:17 pm
Dormant wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:10 am I've been told they had another 'event' back in 2004 but I know nothing.
English girl , Lucy Keen was left with brain damage after falling off because the person responsible for hooking her up didn't do his job.
I think the rules governing tourist attractions & the like are a lot stricter than back in 2004. Their investigative powers have increased too.
The four fatalities at Dreamworld may have had something to do with it,- as the coroner was quite scathing in his summary.
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ayasifiedshak »

We had another 15mm recorded from a few days back, BOM were forecasting thunderstorms for Friday a few days back, then they changed it to Thursday and Friday, now...just possible showers.
Why is it in the era of "Time saving" devices, that people are more "Time poor" than ever?

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

7mm in the gauge. If I knew more was coming I'd be able to plan my day, however...