Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

New station with option for public access to live data

All general weather related discussion & questions, including model discussions, longer-term outlooks & anything non-breaking weather.
J
JeremyP
New User
Reactions:

New station with option for public access to live data

Post by JeremyP »

Hello Weather crew,
A newbie post from me, about a new system setup I'm looking to put together for an inner urban development. The usage purpose will be twofold: (i) for public/resident consumption of their hyperlocal weather experience, and (ii) data to correspond with the onsite plant performance (as in green growing things, not machinery plant :) ). It will be on a building rooftop, in the vicinity of the rooftop residents' productive garden. Thus far, I think the best way to go, along with what i understand of the advice from Davis and a private installer is (which may speak more of my understanding than :
- VantagePro 2 (GrowWeather model, fan aspirated due to likely high radiant heat loading) with soil moisture module (for soil moisture and ET data), plus console for onsite monitoring (in their universal shelter);
- a Davis usb data logger for periodically pulling historical data out of the console
- a MeteoBridge (likely the Pro Red?) to pull live data so we can publish to the web without a subscription service/login required for end users

I have the option for a web pax to tweak the end user experience, but could possibly utilise a good, ideally free (!) template if there's a strong consensus for one... I've looked around at a few that the MeteoBridge can push to, but would love some lived experience feedback.

Think that covers my questions, and thanks in advance!
Jeremy
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: New station with option for public access to live data

Post by Didjman »

Hi Jeremy,
I run (as per the PWS link in my signature) a Vantage Pro 2 into a standard Meteobridge linked to Weather Underground. I don't have UV or soil monitoring, but I find it on the whole pretty reliable. Sometimes the Wunderground site doesn't update data for an hr or 2 or occasionally the Meteobridge needs a power reset. Other than that, it all seems to work ok and I can access the data remotely from a phone or PC.
Hope this gives you some help:)
Peter
J
JeremyP
New User
Reactions:

Post by JeremyP »

Hi Peter,
That's great thank you, and very much appreciate you taking the time to post that :)
J
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

JeremyP wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:17 am Hi Peter,
......very much appreciate you taking the time to post that :)
J
Isn't that what a forum is for?? I have learnt soooo much from people on here, so I am more than happy to help where I can :D
J
JeremyP
New User
Reactions:

Post by JeremyP »

Ha, indeed it is Peter!
Will continue to fossick around the forum boards and see what I can learn (aka comprehend) too :)