Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Welcome to our Weatherzone friends

Have a chat, coffee and let's laugh about what is going on in your world. You can also find 'Photography Central', 'AWF Member Photos' & 'Weather Sites/Links Australia'.

Would you prefer states/territories to be separate threads or combined (like they are now)?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:39 pm

Separated
86%
Combined
14%

Total votes: 28

J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Welcome to our Weatherzone friends

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Hi all!

A very warm welcome to our friends who are migrating over from the soon to be closed Weatherzone forums. Each and everyone of you is welcome here on The Australian Weather Forum and we are working through activating accounts. Traditionally our forum has been relatively small with a great community and few moderators.

Due to the high number of new entries, we are looking at reformatting the forum to better incorporate our new members and inviting new moderators (more on this soon). This may include new sections and a new layout, please let us know you're concerns below and we'll work on them! :D

Just a few housekeeping rules please.
  • This forum is an inclusive forum, we do not tolerate any bullying, harassment or continued persistent argumentation.
  • We respect each other's views. We may not agree with each other, but we respect the viewpoint. Don't engage if you don't agree.
  • There is no climate thread on this forum. Climate change threads are historically controversial, toxic topics that disengage members and cause too many problems.
  • Take note of the structure of the forum. Post in relevant threads and don't be afraid to start new topics.
  • Our moderators can edit/delete posts made by members. They can also warn members, three warnings and you're banned.
  • Most importantly, be nice, ask questions and enjoy your time.
Again, welcome to the forum and have fun! :P :D
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
M
Mamatus
New User
Reactions:

Re: Welcome to our Weatherzone friends

Post by Mamatus »

Hi all, I’m a WZ immigrant...thanks for the welcome and hope to see some familiar ‘faces’ around. Mama ☁️
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

Mamatus wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:56 pm Hi all, I’m a WZ immigrant...thanks for the welcome and hope to see some familiar ‘faces’ around. Mama ☁️
Welcome Mamatus, I've been a dual member of both weather communities for a few years now. Great to have you on board and please spread the word, there are some lovely folk here at The Australian Weather Forum.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Big welcome to the new members from WZ :applause:
W
WarwickEye2Sky
New User
Reactions:

Post by WarwickEye2Sky »

Nice to see a few of you here. Cheers. Michael
B
BrightSide
New User
Reactions:

Post by BrightSide »

I'm from Weatherzone. I'm mostly pretty quiet.
P
PerfectStorm
New User
Reactions:

Post by PerfectStorm »

Wz migrant here. :) Thank you for the warm welcome everyone. :applause:
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Welcome Mamatus, Warwick, Bright and PerfectStorm! Glad to have you on-board! :P
W
WarwickEye2Sky
New User
Reactions:

Post by WarwickEye2Sky »

Glad to be here Jake!
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Welcome all 🙂
ColinMaitland
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ColinMaitland »

With the Brisbane Qld Thread we found it helpful when it was Southern Qld/ Widebay/ Northern NSW day to day thread. This is because it is where nearly all our storms come from. A bit of a unique set up here in this corner of Australia. Storm will roll in from The Northern area of NSW cross the boarder then move over the range and smash Southern QlD up to the Wide Bay area. Or they will form from the North West of QLD and move over the boarder and smash Northern NSW. A good example was the Gap storm. The 1985 Brisbane Hail storm.
Thank you for a great forum and accomodating the refugees from WZ. I 1st joined in 2017 but never posted. Qld is a bit unique as we have CQ with their own weather patterns then we also have the cyclonic areas to the North.

Look forward to posting and discussing the weather on the Australian Weather Forum.

Thanks
Colin
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Hi all, just a quick update.

We've had quite a bit of feedback re the structure of our main thread (Weather Events, Observations and Analysis) over the past few days. We've restructured this to reflect some of the user feedback and the poll that is ongoing above. Each "area" now has it's own thread where as many topics can be created per region, this will obviously keep the thread region-specific but will be better for those who just want to focus on their favorite or most visited area. If a new area isn't being utilised we may combine it with it's neighbour. Obviously, we will continue to listen to further feedback and do our best to support. Always feel free to comment here or PM myself.

EDIT: Just another minor re-jig to bring the forums to the main page and separated by sections. :)
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

Well done Jake. The forum structure looks great. Listening to the consumer sounds wise 8-)
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

Well done Jake, the new layout is brilliant.

Thank you very much, let's hope the community can continue to expand and flourish :D
crikey
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: tweed shire NSW and nDUNOLLY.. Nth Central district VIC

Post by crikey »

Noticing that when l come to AWF on firefox latest version l think.
There is a locked zymbol next to the URL and when you go to log in their are warnings there as well.
This was on the WZ login page since firefox updated months ago.
Injust used to ignore it.
You can login to Wz and AWF with the warning icon but it says at your own risk which is a turn off l believe.
Here is the info' from firefox.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/in ... =inproduct

It says insecure password?

I used the incredibly hard password that AWF password recovery gave me
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Hi everyone, I used to be "cold@28" - now I'm 28degrees (recognisable I think...).
Thank you so much for your warm welcome Jake, and thank you for making changes to accommodate us ex-WZers.
Live just into the outback west of the Mareeba so you'll find me in the Tropical Australia threads, even in the Dry Season. Look forward to being here. :) :)
R
Ronfishes
New User
Reactions:

Post by Ronfishes »

G'day Coldy, Crikey et al :)
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Hi RF, and crikey. Will we still recognise everyone?

Edit: Love the ease of uploading an avatar.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Welcome to all the newcomers. I'm sure you'll love this forum.
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

Just been reading through a post on Weatherzone (http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/ubbthre ... 1501819/10) and people have been saying negative things about this forum. I wanted to register an account on Weatherzone but it appears they have closed that.

This forum has had its arguments over the years, people have left but they have come back. People are very informative and passionate on this forum hence probably the reason why conflict happens. This forum may seem inactive but that's because it's mainly Victorian users on it. They have been trying for years to get people from different states & territories but unfortunately no one else has found this forum.

An influx of users signing up to any forum at once would cause delays in accepting due to the number of people and the automatic spam bot.

I have been on and off with this forum for ages but I keep coming back for major events as that interests me the most. Everyone is friendly and welcoming to new users. Jake & Rivergirl do an amazing job for this forum. Most of the other users are always contributing. I'm sure you'll love the forum if you give it a chance. It just needs more users.