Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC - Lingering trough then strong front: March 4-8

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

VIC - Lingering trough then strong front: March 4-8

Post by hillybilly »

Some interest in the next few days with a trough lingering over Victoria, and a strong front coming up from the Southern Ocean. They don't quite meet, but the trough should deliver some patchy showers and storms over mainly the north and east, and then the strong front will drop a band of showers, locally heavy through southern areas overnight Tuesday through Wednesday. Progs showing locally 10-20mm, though have been tending to back off as the event gets closer :roll: Will turn cold on Wednesday, with snow possible around Baw Baw etc. Snow levels look like briefly falling to near 1000m, though that could change.
A
Adam38
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Re: Lingering trough then strong front: March 4-8

Post by Adam38 »

I am expecting next to nothing here... sitting on 18mm YTD here 😩
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

At least that seems to be almost it for the heat. Besides today, when we might briefly scrape 30 here after a cold start, can't see any more 30 degree days for the next 10 days or so, and cool/cold nights are back too with single digit minimums dominating.

Even if 'hot' weather comes back later in the month, the duration of daytime heat will be capped by rapidly shortening daylight hours, matched of course by a progressively lower sun angle.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Another stinker today. Currently 36c and humid. Some Cumulus going up so perhaps something later today.

As for Summer 2018/19 - Good Riddance and never come back. You destroyed half my garden and turned everything to dust.

Edit - wife called and it's raining at home. Nice.

Edit again - Smashing down rain. Yay!
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Tracker showing multiple simultaneous cgs around Bendigo
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

Didjman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:56 pm Tracker showing multiple simultaneous cgs around Bendigo
Yes, it's been a very active 30 minutes. Very sporadic rainfall though. I reckon 10mm+ here. But just 0.2mm at Airport AWS (which always misses out).
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Hit 35c here just before with a bit more moisture in the air and a quick rumble to the north. Feels like the hottest day of the last week. Keeping an eye on any rogue fire starter CG's from above.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

Got to 35.3 here (home) at 3:30
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Just 30c as a max here, though warm enough! A few spots of rain but nothing to register in the gauge. A brief shower travelled to our south and across to Melbourne airport but just missed here. Unfortunately, looks like fairly limited rain for us over the next couple of days, if any. So it’s a case of waiting for the next event - it has been a long time between drinks. Almost forgotten what a day of rain feels like. :|
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

27C here today. Almost got a shower, but not to be.

Another day tomorrow, but not confident. Maybe a shower.

Wednesday looks the best chance, but each run seems to drop totals further. Now at the point where it could just about disappear come tomorrow morning at this rate :roll:

Flew up and back to Canberra today and landscape is just awful. All parched. Multiple big fires evident over eastern Vic.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

I noticed earlier, more lightning out east and more fires appearing
S
Sean
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

hillybilly wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:10 pm 27C here today. Almost got a shower, but not to be.

Another day tomorrow, but not confident. Maybe a shower.

Wednesday looks the best chance, but each run seems to drop totals further. Now at the point where it could just about disappear come tomorrow morning at this rate :roll:

Flew up and back to Canberra today and landscape is just awful. All parched. Multiple big fires evident over eastern Vic.
It's shocking. Everything but established gums are in severe distress from the peninsular to the city and beyond. This is what 2c above average does to this country. Just 2 degrees! So much death it's depressing.

Got a few drops last night, but not enough to register. That heavy storm is all but a distant memory now. I mean, we're tracking even worse than last year..
Q
QldTwister
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by QldTwister »

Crazy fires last few days and they are going to go for days more

Classic drought singal in models week out wet closer and closer it gets rain totals just fall and fall

Cold Wednesday cool to mild the rest, the dry rolls on

April should see the rain return still dry few weeks yet

This the new world Wet Nov Dec dry Jan Apr
Bring on the heat and stroms
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Mild dry night for most. Odd shower and storm today. Hoping to see my first rain in a few weeks, but could easily miss out.

Tomorrow looks better for parts of the south, but showers will clear east quickly so won’t be big falls :( Been tracking EC for this event closely and it’s dropped totals day after day. Started on about 30mm here, dropped to 20mm, then 10mm now about 5mm. Typical crap drought signal on the models where you see something ok at day seven, only to see if fade. Of course, what matters is what has the gauge, so hoping to be surprised :?
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Day 7 is about 6 days too far in advance.
Not expecting anything here.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
t
tonycynic
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by tonycynic »

Expect rain and cooler weather for the week ending 24/3, planning on going camping. Meanwhile the sun is coming out and it is warming up after a nice start. Hope we get showers tonight.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Oceans are driving the dry spell, atmosphere is a result of the ocean’s behaviour. When currents change, so does the sea surface temperature, then the atmosphere changes, which drives anomalies in winds and changes the weather and climate across the planet. Met 101.

Indian Ocean is exhibit 'A' for our dry spell as mentioned before by others. Lets hope its slight warming trend can continue but ATM its still colder than normal off NW WA.

I’ve seen far worse dry conditions than this period. I registered an above average rainfall month only 2 months ago in December. This is a walk in the park compared to other periods I've experienced.
Attachments
Positive IOD.jpg
Positive IOD.jpg (248.38 KiB) Viewed 8215 times
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

The Massive Huntsman in my Laundry :o is a good indication of rain,
Wish the radar would confirm this too..
I've just have the park lands next door mow, as much as for fire reason I'm happy but the amount of dust he left is worrying if I hadn't got my washing in..
J
James
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by James »

cant see anything happening today
S
Sean
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

JasmineStorm wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:10 pm I’ve seen far worse dry conditions than this period. I registered an above average rainfall month only 2 months ago in December. This is a walk in the park compared to other periods I've experienced.
Australia wide, this is no walk in the park, that's for sure. Hopefully the rains come this autumn/spring otherwise the famine will be worse than last year.