Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Forum Changes and Upgrades

Keep up to date with any changes, new developments & upgrades that have been made to the forum or website.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Re: Forum Changes and Upgrades

Post by Jake Smethurst »

**NEW FORUM LOOK**

Our weather forum will undergo some changes during the next few weeks to make it easier and better to navigate. The first change that you will notice is a bit of a makeover from this Thursday 1st June 2017! It's a much more modern and fresh layout to give the forum a bit of rejuvenation! After the new paint job, a forum restructure will soon follow enabling easier access and navigation. In the meantime, here's a brief look at what to expect - please note the 'light blue' featured below isn't confirmed yet. Don't forget to leave any comments or contact me directly with concerns or feedback.
Jake - Senior AWF Forecaster
Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

UPDATE: The new layout is live and available. Please let us know if you have any troubles. The next stage of the update is a restructure of the threads and topics, which will be implemented soon.
G
Geoff
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Geoff »

So far so good Jake, keep up the good work! :D
AWF Rainfall Details - Monthly rainfall stats. Please post your totals here at the end of each month, thank you
http://www.theaustralianweatherforum.co ... &start=180
93ben
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by 93ben »

The new forum layout looks great but I reckon the "Weather Events & Observations" forum needs to be sorted into mini forums so then it's easier to find topics for a particular state/territory.
J
JasmineStorm
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by JasmineStorm »

Great upgrade Jake, Well done
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Love the upgrade Jake. Well done. I know you are going to do some more work, hoping Quick Links will be there if possible as its very handy when looking for new posts. Thanks so much
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Thanks for the feedback Ben. We had requests to incorporate all the states/territories into one thread, however we are looking at breaking it down into sections in the near future. :)

Robyn, quick links should be available in the top left corner of the page. Let me know if you find it :D
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Thanks Jake. I can never see what's in front of my nose :P
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Tuesday 8th May 2018 - 10:30PM

The forum underwent a minor update tonight (from 3.2.0 to 3.2.2) to bring it up to the latest version and fix some minor pesky bugs! A more substantial update will hopefully be implemented by end of this month with some new user features.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Saturday 15th Dec 2018 - 10:00PM AEDT

A minor update to the forum tonight (from 3.2.3 to 3.2.4) to bring it up to the latest version and fix some minor pesky bugs! There was a brief outage of the forum for around 30 minutes, but all back up and running!

Please note, there are a few further minor updates occurring tonight and tomorrow, however they shouldn't cause any outage time to the forum.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Love the Christmas banner Jake 🙂
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Thanks Robyn, just something a little different :P
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Saturday 26th Jan 2019 - 4:42PM AEDT

A minor update to the forum today (from 3.2.4 to 3.2.5) to bring it up to the latest version and fix some minor pesky bugs! There was a brief outage of the forum for around 10 minutes, but all back up and running!

Please note, there are a few further minor updates occurring over coming days, however they shouldn't cause any outage time to the forum.
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Monday 11/11/19

Minor update to the forum board (from 3.2.7 to 3.2.8) to bring it to the latest version and in preparation for a major upgrade coming very soon. There was a brief 2-5 minute outage, but back online.

We'll have more on the more substantial update soon. :)
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Tuesday 12/11/19

- 5:30pm

As alluded to yesterday, a significant upgrade to the forum will be undertaken from this afternoon and into tomorrow. This update will bring a modernised forum while maintaining everything that you know and love of the current forum. In addition, this update will allow for easier management behind the scenes for administrators and will allow for a smoother upgrade experience in the longer term.

Updates will follow here throughout the evening. There may be outage periods to the forum while this occurs, we will attempt to keep this as minimal as possible.

- 8:30pm

The majority of the upgrade has been completed. A lot of back-end organisation has occurred and as can be seen, a new, modern visualisation for the forum is live. We are still tinkering behind the scenes so the actual appearance, including logo, colour etc. may change overnight and tomorrow. We'll continue to provide updates here :)

Wednesday 13/11/19

- 12:40am

Some further minor changes to the appearance of the forum and to the header section. The forum automatically resizes to the size of the screen being used, including on phones and tablets. The size of the logo is now embedded more neatly, though size-wise the logo is still likely to change (larger). The colour we currently have may not be final though will stay for now (the Australian Weather Forum has always been represented by a blue colour).

- 10:40am

The vast majority of the upgrade is complete. There may be minor changes as ongoing tinkering occurs behind the scenes. If there is any significant additions or changes, we will advise here. We also welcome our members feedback via PM to myself, email via the contact form at the bottom of the site, or you can leave it directly here in this topic.
Rivergirl
Memorial
Reactions:

Post by Rivergirl »

Forum looks fantastic Jake Very fresh and new looking. Great job as usual!
m
mccann25
New User
Reactions:

Post by mccann25 »

Hi Jake

Just some feedback on the forum upgrade, I don't think its working that well for PC's with large monitors (24'+), there is now so much empty white space between each topic all I am doing is scrolling heaps more. Using the site on my mobile, it seems fine, re-sizing to a suitable size and readable.

Thanks

- 12:40am

Some further minor changes to the appearance of the forum and to the header section. The forum automatically resizes to the size of the screen being used, including on phones and tablets. The size of the logo is now embedded more neatly, though size-wise the logo is still likely to change (larger). The colour we currently have may not be final though will stay for now (the Australian Weather Forum has always been represented by a blue colour).
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Hi M25,

Thanks for the feedback. I can't replicate what you're experiencing, are you able to send me screenshot via DM?
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Monday 23/12/19

- Early Christmas present

Tired of scrolling to the top of the page? Worry no more! We've added the ability to click on an arrow found at the bottom right of screen that takes you straight to the top of the page you're on. :D
J
Jake Smethurst
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Jake Smethurst »

Saturday 11th January 2020

- New website

A new front-facing website was launched at the beginning of the New Year to go alongside our recently refreshed forum. Users can find links on the homepage (https://theaustralianweatherforum.com/) to the latest Bureau of Meteorology warnings, a selection of forecasts for major centres across Australia and of course easy access to our weather forum.

We also issue our own forecast for Melbourne with a seven-day range. We attempt to update this each evening, but make sure to check the "the next forecast is due to be issued by" section at the bottom.

We've also recently moved into the "HTTPS" realm instead of the old "HTTP" which enhances security and ensures your browsing is secure (usually identified by a lock near the browser search bar).

To ensure you are on the correct version and viewing our new website correctly, we recommend clearing your cookies and cache history.

More improvements to come.