Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VICTORIA: Potential Autumn Break - March 23-26 2018

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Re: VICTORIA: Potential Autumn Break - March 23-26 2018

Post by hillybilly »

Nearly 13mm in the gauge this morning, with showers continuing. Foggy and a brisk 5C :D Be interesting to see the snow cams once the sun comes up, as the alps are well into the negatives.

Looks like the cold air is moving to our east now, so showers are moving inland a bit further than I was expecting.
T
Tassiedave
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Tassiedave »

Rain from 9 am yesterday in Tasmania : Mount Read 69mm, Cradle Valley 37 mm, Scottsdale 34mm, Nunamara 28 mm, Launceston 18mm, Wynyard 18mm, Devonport 10mm, Hobart 8.2mm
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

The long sleeves came out for the ride into work this morning. Rain had well & truly cleared by the time I left home so the roads were dry. :)

Didn't get a chance to check the gauge, so not sure what we received all up.

Pretty much all over here now with the current action confined to the south east.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
S
StratoBendigo
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by StratoBendigo »

10mm was our grand total for the weekend. Clear blue skies now after a chilly 6 degC start. Not really an Autumn break for us, but nice to get something for once.

Zero rain expected in the next 2 weeks.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

12.0mm's here in the 24 hours to 9am - makes 26.2mm's in the last 48 hours
and a MTD of 29.5mm's. Cold wind this morning.
occluded
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by occluded »

17mm on Saturday and another 7mm in showers yesterday. Better than the models and I were predicting. More please.

A classic cool showery SW today with quick showers wetting the washing and the dog, then sunny five minutes later.

Cold enough to fire up the heating briefly this morning - hasn't got above 17 degrees yet.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Quite showery here since 2pm had another 8mm's since then
System total 34.2mm's
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Cool showery day up here. Max of 11.8C with a further 5mm of precip. A couple of the showers had small hail in them :D Event on about 40mm now, and MTD near 55mm so slowly dragging ourselves towards average ;)

Decent snow on the Cams this morning in the alps, but rapidly going now as the warm air advection continues. Min this morning at Mount Hotham of -3.8C was the coolest temp in March since 1996 so quite an impressive cold outbreak for the time of year :D
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

A few spots of rain today but mostly missed out on the showers given the airflow favouring the east. But all up about 30mm for the event so a good outcome overall, and a huge relief. Tanks are almost full. I reckon it’s enough to be considered an autumn break here. The grass is already starting to green up.

Hopefully April brings a more normal pattern. Certainly feeling like Autumn now with the cool mornings. Currently 13c here.
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Woah! -0.2C in Trentham this morning.
That's going to give the autumn colours a gee up.
4C here.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

At work in Macedon and i can see frost down on the peat flats on the farm. 3C here. Top morning.
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

Down to 6c here. Not exactly frosty but the first really cool mornings of the season always feel colder to me after summer’s heat!
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

6.4mm in the gauge this morning. That pushes us just over 40mm for the event, and to nearly 50mm in the last week. MTD about 55mm (so still 40mm down on our average) but a massive improvement. That should close out the fire season here (unless we get another stupid 50 days without proper rain :o ). Looks to have been pretty widespread, but the NW missed out (March is still on average very dry up there) and falls dropped pretty quickly once you went north of the line from about Stawell to Redesdale.

Models did a really good job in the end. Wiggles and bumps, but most were onto this as the first proper rain for ages 5-7 days out. EC probably did best in picking the significant rain on Saturday first and more or less holding it.

Looks like a classic autumn day ahead with light winds and mild temperatures.
s
stevco123
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by stevco123 »

Steady drizzle here now with the low cloud moving in about 7pm
https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/53 ... 76dd68e8bc: for current weather updated every 2 minutes
f
flyfisher
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flyfisher »

Little drizzle overnight 0.6mm. Amazing how the grass green's up with some rain. Trees still look bad on the range, although I swear the tree up the top have a green tinge to them.

This next period looks like "Neverending ridge" Great if you are going camping or out and about over the Easter break.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Drizzle and fog here this morning. Totalled 0.6mm. Freshens it up a bit after yesterday’s warmth.

Looks like a week of nothing weather again. The odd shower possible most days near the coast and ranges, but warm sunshine in the north. Perhaps time for another autumn thread :roll:

Lots of weather elsewhere with a strong tropical depression on the Queensland coast all week, while northwest Australia bakes under an unprecedented mid autumn heatwave. Last two days have seen 45.9C somewhere, the highest temperatures after the equinox anywhere in Australia :(
Australis(Shell3155)
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Australis(Shell3155) »

flyfisher wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:39 pm I really hope this system delivers as Mt Dandenong is dying...

See the pictures below (Hope they work)

I have circled in red where the gums look like they are going brown and crispy - their leaves. Similar to what happens when they are burnt. The photos don't not do it justice and it's much clearer to see with polaroid sun glasses on. Looks worse on the ridge lines.

It looks terrible further up the road where Mt Dandenong tourist road splits off - the 1000 steps area.

It's more visible now, I'm unsure if the little rain on the weekend, greened up the western face, or these north facing valleys are now dead, ? I hadn't noticed it until just last few days, the valleys are brown, photos don't actually show much, but it's defiantly dying off if not dead... its not what I want to see out my front window..