Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

VIC: Hot and humid with some storms - January 24 to 31 2018

Archived Weather Events since 2009.
If you have any valuable content to add to any locked thread, please PM board moderator.
C
Chritc
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Hot, humid with some storms: January 24-31

Post by Chritc »

The mid level deck I mentioned an hour or so ago was most definitely the beginnings of the storms over the bay and peninsula!!! Happens a lot!!! Now got an intensifying squall inbound from around the airport. Going to be an interesting hour or so!!! Also I'll say it again, my feeling is the BOM are going to feel pretty silly by the end of tomorrow regarding Melbourne weather.
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

This looking dangerous now
House shaking :o
M
Macedonian
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Macedonian »

Macca2395 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:53 pm Beautiful storm action here in Lancefield, but it really looked as if it intensified over Romsey about 7-8km to our south. Probably one of the best storms I've experienced in terms of lightning and thunder though. Rain wasn't as intense as I was expecting, but It was a good drink nonetheless! Very happy. :)

38mm in Romsey and 23mm at my place at Mt Macedon :)
Home- "Shepherd's Bush" at Mt Macedon. 870m
Work- "Bolobek" at Macedon. 430m
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

All over for us (for now) but great reports and fascinating to watch the radar, especially that Springvale- Carrum cell exploding. Who would have thought this would happen just an hour or so ago??

The 4.25pm Melbourne forecast (for the record):
"Melbourne area
Humid. Partly cloudy. Slight (20%) chance of a thundery shower about the outer suburbs and nearby hills, clearing in the evening. Winds south to southwesterly 20 to 30 km/h becoming light in the late evening."
s
snowfall
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by snowfall »

This has been the most lightning active storm I have seen in years. Lightning every second at least. Been quite a show! The heaviest rain skirted around us, but we still gained 6.2mm. Currently raining lightly. Looks like additional development occurring in spots as the system heads into Melbourne, including an intensifying cell south of Melton heading into the south western suburbs.
Onetahuti
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Onetahuti »

Gordon wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:23 pm All over for us (for now) but great reports and fascinating to watch the radar, especially that Springvale- Carrum cell exploding. Who would have thought this would happen just an hour or so ago??

The 4.25pm Melbourne forecast (for the record):
"Melbourne area
Humid. Partly cloudy. Slight (20%) chance of a thundery shower about the outer suburbs and nearby hills, clearing in the evening. Winds south to southwesterly 20 to 30 km/h becoming light in the late evening."
I maybe exaggerating a small fraction but that cell started to develop a street or two south of here, plenty of lightning and thus thunder but only a few spots of rain so far.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

Will the Melton/ Laverton storm and the bay storm join up? Virtually on a collision course :o .
W
Wilko
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Wilko »

I was wondering the same thing Gordon
j
jimmyay
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by jimmyay »

Hope it merges and gives us a good 25 mm, the gardens are crying out for it.
D
Dc449
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Dc449 »

Was at carrum, got amazing CG video! One of the most lightning active storm for a long time! Had to be careful, it started popping out CG all around us!
fortius quo fidelius
S
Sean
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

Big, beefy drops. Lightning seems to be easing.
hillybilly
Site Admin/Moderator
Reactions:

Post by hillybilly »

Just gone into fog here with the outflow from the storms. Still 20C. Lightning in multiple directions. Watching things creep closer, painfully slow.

Patchy falls but some decent ones. Near 50mm a few places just north of Macedon, and plenty of 10-20mm through north central and in the southern suburbs of Melbourne. Currently adding up rapidly in the northeast burbs in spots like Eltham under the incoming.

Don’t really have much idea what to expect. There must be a small upper feature near Melbourne which is focussing the storms. The. GFS run has something at 700hPa but not many storms. One of the finely balance situations where the radar becomes your guide ;)
S
Sean
Cumulonumbus Calvas
Reactions:

Post by Sean »

Big drops, but a little sparse, so the total isn't racking up as fast as I would like.. but a nice out of the blue surprise nonetheless. May it continue all night.
G
Gordon
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Gordon »

28mm in 30 minutes at Rockbank (east of Melton).

Hope someone captures the last hour or so of the radar loop (I would if I knew how!) Can't recall a situation like it; storms jumping up, dying, moving in every direction... Crazy! HB things look promising for you all of a sudden.
Last edited by Gordon on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Didjman
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Didjman »

my PWS shows 17.6 for here - not checking the manual with lightning around lol! Btw,tonite and on 19/12 I got some cracking live sound. If anyone interested, pm me:)
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Easing off here now but still plenty of lightning around.
Just did a quick of the gauge almost 14 mm's so far.
flatcam
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by flatcam »

Incredible lightning show over the last hour or so looking south from Craigieburn. Some beautiful forked lightning moving across the sky, with some of the closer ones being almost blinding at times. The action has slowed here now, but hope people to the south get to watch this awesome display from a safe position :)

Can't believe the rapid development a bit earlier on the cell near Moorabbin. It went from nothing to almost black in parts within 4-5 frames of the radar loop :o
Last edited by flatcam on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D
Dane
Supercell
Reactions:

Post by Dane »

Melbourne water Keysborough showing 36mm's up to 11pm.
S
Skywalker
Supercell
Reactions:
Location: Burnside Heights/Cowes (Home) & Sunshine West (Work)

Post by Skywalker »

Would love to know what we received in terms of rainfall back in Burnside Heights. The results around surrounding areas such as Rockbank are very promising. :D

Meanwhile back here more cells to the north of us across the peninsula are threatening to head towards us.
Caroline Springs, Melbourne's meteorological boredom zone.
W
WeatherViewer
Cumulonimbus
Reactions:

Post by WeatherViewer »

Wooohooo! An hour outside watching all the incredible flashes and rumbles in the distance.

It edged closer and closer to the outer south-western suburbs. Managed to get a direct strike here in Tarneit. Heavy tropical downpours lightening and thunder. What a show!

14.5mm in the rain gauge here. :D