Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Tropics day to day weather talk

Event discussion and analysis for Australia's northern tropics, including day to day weather and tropical cyclones.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Tropics day to day weather talk

Post by FNQBunyip »

nother cool start this morning, hopefully that drier air is a bit warmer as well Scott.
Be good to get a bit of a run at the big blue water,

Driving along in the table drains is all part of living in outback QLD, 28 , when the beef roads were all dirt , in the dry
you used to drive hundreds of km in the drains at times, sometimes even in the opposite lane going the wrong way , but
you could always see the dust of someone coming and up and over to the other side if needed, any way you could find
a bit of track that was a bit smoother that the rest, lol
The $ spent on our roads now is not enough as most of the $ is spent in the SE corner and the continued improvement
of beef roads and hwy's has just about dried up. :(

Looks like a beautiful day ahead. Enjoy .

Cheers
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Yeah. Hard to believe they're actually finally doing something...25 years after they 'promised'.

Woke to a gorgeous morning. Bit like an early Sydney summer. Although it's hazy with what is probably dust. Windy now.

Had a few whirlwinds come thru, but no really horrible ones yet. Always mesmerised, want to watch them more than run around closing up the house.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

10c at 7.30 am.....and down to 6.3c at Innisfail aerodrome overnight...…..that's just ridiculous..

Back to more normal overnight temps from tonight onwards...
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ayasifiedshak »

Who put the ice in the water? HEINZE DID!
Bluddy cold this morning, 14 deg inside, but still quite warm in the sun. Looks like back to normal transmission by the weekend (showers....)
Why is it in the era of "Time saving" devices, that people are more "Time poor" than ever?

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Quite a few showers off the coast this morning , See what the day brings..
That last cold snap was a doozy for sure.. 6.3° is way to cold for habitation Scott, brrr

Have a good sunday folks

Cheers
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

FNQBunyip wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:13 am
That last cold snap was a doozy for sure.. 6.3° is way to cold for habitation Scott, brrr
I just stay in bed 'til the sun is close to its zenith !
Stuff the 07:00h stuff,- especially on a Sunday. 😜
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Hickory wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:27 am Stuff the 07:00h stuff,- especially on a Sunday. 😜

Lol , have not had a sleep in since we got (3 years sunday)My dog Scout the Hungarian Vizsla, she is up and ready to go at 05:00 every day ,
trying to convince her that I can't see to ride the quad till almost 06:00 is hard.
Rain or shine she is on the bike ready to go, We do a lap of about 7km , and check on a pig trap or 2 and sometimes she
bails one.

Beautiful day up this way today , been a bit too cool to spray just yet , but if this keeps up and things start to grow it will be on.
Love the smell of 2,4,D in the morning :)

Cheers
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

FNQBunyip wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:27 pm
Lol , have not had a sleep in since we got (3 years sunday)My dog Scout the Hungarian Vizsla, she is up and ready to go at 05:00 every day.
I'd be using Mr Google to find me a dog trainer who can vary a dog's body clock. 🤓😜
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Hickory wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:16 pm
FNQBunyip wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:27 pm
Lol , have not had a sleep in since we got (3 years sunday)My dog Scout the Hungarian Vizsla, she is up and ready to go at 05:00 every day.
I'd be using Mr Google to find me a dog trainer who can vary a dog's body clock. 🤓😜
Or just trade her in for a staffy, Bunyip….

our 2 are like Hickory...they don't like the cold and will happily sleep half the day, mine is still under the covers when I rollout of bed...... :D

It showered most of the day Sunday..it was pretty wet down at the Mission Beach markets ...

Beautiful days now once the morning cold dissipates..I 'll have to make the most of it and get my spraying and hard work jobs out of the way before the Marchie onslaught in a few weeks time..
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

I don't really mind being up early , it was me getting up that started it , lol

Marchies have turned up here already, 1 Monday arvo and 2 yesterday..

Cheers
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ayasifiedshak »

Yes, i know all about the rain at the markets Scott :D, i was there. It started raining at 4:30 am and it stopped raining at 11:30am....just in time for the markets to finish! then it was sunny for the rest pf the day :o
Yeah we have had a few Marchies here as well, has a few last week while i was doing the driveway, the sun has got a bit of bite to it now when you are out in it, i 'spose it is only 3 weeks till it pokes it's head back over the equator..
Why is it in the era of "Time saving" devices, that people are more "Time poor" than ever?

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Ah we didn't even go down your street at the markets Dean....just once round the outside and a quick look at the beach and then the rain scared us away...

10-15 knot forecast down here for the week ahead but 15-20's up by Cairns and probably that little bit more up the Daintree way...

I might try and get the little tinny out after some mackies on Sunday if it doesn't blow up too much..

Bunyip I wonder if a few marchies are starting early because of the rain hanging around so late in season and keeping the soli moist...they might be going to be a slow burn like last year rather than a full on fortnight rampage...
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ayasifiedshak »

Looks like the dry season, has finally arrived!
There was beautiful looking sunsets late last week, with lot's of fish scales looking cloud, there was even a section that nearly stretched from horizon to horizon, where it looks like someone have driven through the clouds, it looked quite unusual.

H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

ayasifiedshak wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:30 pm There was beautiful looking sunsets late last week, with lot's of fish scales looking cloud, there was even a section that nearly stretched from horizon to horizon, where it looks like someone have driven through the clouds, it looked quite unusual.
Most likely they were Cirrocumulus, also referred to as a "mackerel sky".
Made up of ice crystals at around 35,000 ft and higher. Passenger jet maybe cut through it too.
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ayasifiedshak »

I have seen some really beautiful photo's of sun rises and sunsets, from last week.

On another note it would seem someone forgot to send the memo out to the night time temps, winter has left the building just in case they forgot! 13 deg the night before and 10 deg last night... really? :o

scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Some beautiful mackeral skies for sure...

I'm just waiting to take the tinny out to go out and see if we can catch a straggler Mackeral but its too cold yet to spread the butter on the bread for our sandwiches...also dreading the cold sea air on the face once underway..

Supposedly 8.3c at Sth Johnstone this morning with the record low being 7.3c......its just brutal....

11.5c outside ATM.

The days have been sensational though..
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Equally as cold as our coldest for the year... Brrrr

Yes magnificent days.

Well after the wet we had who would of thought a fire. One of the hills here went up yesterday arvo and burned well till after 20:00 .
Still smoldering up there this morning. Not rainforest .. It's She Oak and was last burnt about 25 years ago.. Reports are it was only after the local volunteers (think Dads army but in orange) turned up that it got going and took off up the hill after their back burn changed direction lol ..

See if I can work out pix later.

Cheers
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

And.. Bunyip, the other fire on Cook Highway, near Turtle Cove. We drove through that yesterday afternoon. Helluva plume rising up and into the interior. Widespread and moving towards Oak Beach?

Another brrrrr this morning, enough already, it's sposed to be spring.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Beautiful day out on the water yesterday...just as flat as..got a feed of Mackies but had had to work hard...….the water visibility was amazing...bit of a breeze kicked up in the arvo to cool things off a bit....

I also noticed a few fires down here towards Cardwell and in the hills up the Murray Valley and another up north in the coastal scrub around Kurrimine beach...wonder if its controlled burning or bushfires...?

and Brrrr again down here this morning..
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

5% humidity again, no wonder fires everywhere.
Smoke from a few of the fires, including Chillagoe, are showing up on the Cairns radar.