Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Tropics day to day weather talk

Event discussion and analysis for Australia's northern tropics, including day to day weather and tropical cyclones.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Tropics day to day weather talk

Post by 28degrees »

Gidday Scott. Good to see you here.
This morning was the coldest I've seen this season at 9°C.
Then late this afternoon the humidity was 9%. Horrible. Can't wait to September and getting a bit of moisture back in the air.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Howdy 28..!

I've just had to crawl out of bed to find some more blankets and check the temp..
12c here now and I just cant get warm enough to sleep....

Bloody freezing enough here but imagine being at Glen Innes..... minus 12 last morning.....why do people even live there...???
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

scott12 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:31 am Howdy 28..!

I've just had to crawl out of bed to find some more blankets and check the temp..
12c here now and I just cant get warm enough to sleep....

Bloody freezing enough here but imagine being at Glen Innes..... minus 12 last morning.....why do people even live there...???
Ha ha, have you heard of good old fashioned hot water bottles?

My sister lives in Armidale. I don't visit in winter...

Made it down to 9.2 here this morning, and still only 13 at 7.45am. I am not getting out from under the doona til it's at least 20.
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

Hiya Scott, bout time - though... the only thing we've got to talk about is how many staffies one needs to keep warm at night.
B
BillaBong
New User
Reactions:

Post by BillaBong »

hey all , made it....geez it's cold, are staffies better than a bichon frise at keeping one warm?? I wish mine would lay on my toes, not next to my head. :D
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Hey BillaBong good you made it.

So...what do we talk about til we get to the weather season?

I'm not looking forward to another 2 months solid of 40°C days, like we had October & November. Will it happen again? I can manage 38 but 40-42 is pushing it a bit.
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

BillaBong wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:38 pm hey all , made it....geez it's cold, are staffies better than a bichon frise at keeping one warm?? I wish mine would lay on my toes, not next to my head. :D
Just paint your toes with peanut butter.
S
Slipperyfish
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Slipperyfish »

If you want a dog to keep you warm, I suggest a Lab, just don’t paint your toes with peanut butter, chances are you will lose your toes. :o

Enjoying the cooler weather, although the fishing has been crap! Who needs green zones? Mother Nature imposing her own exclusion zones!

Anyway good to see everyone is adapting to our new home and thanks to those for the warm welcomes.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Just needed one staffy to get through last night Dormant..last week a whole pack would have been needed for any chance to keep warm...

Thankfully the freeze looks to be over with more normal 15c or above minimums forecast going forward..

Haven't heard of Bichon Frise before but if pics on google are anything to go by then I might be looking to get a pair of them....strapped to the feet as slippers they should be quite handy... ;)

Labs are notorious farters aren't they SF...?..that cant be too good for ones sleep... ;) :D

its starting to dry out n top down here..I'll have to put the sprinklers n the vege garden today and give it a good soaking...

I'm waiting on delivery of a new boat in about 6 weeks time SF so we have been kinda glad the offshore fishing weather has been crap..It would have been too depressing standing on the beach watching flat seas with whales frolicking and mackeral biting and no boat to get amongst them.. :D ...
S
Slipperyfish
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Slipperyfish »

Scott Labs are farters, snorers, burpers, but great dogs.

Six weeks the weather should be good to get out wide. Isn’t looking great for the immediate future. I might sneak around The Big Island this weekend. Flick some plastic.
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

Big dogs have big....nvm.

At least up here you guys can fish without getting frozen. Think how 'bracing' it must be in Tassie.
S
Slipperyfish
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Slipperyfish »

Dormant wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:51 am Big dogs have big....nvm.

At least up here you guys can fish without getting frozen. Think how 'bracing' it must be in Tassie.
Yes Dormant, the fishing is far superior, that is why we are flooded with Southeners every year I guess. I have experienced the trout, snow, frost bite phenomena, and although it was a great experience, I will stick to the shorts and tee shirt style I think.

In Ingham currently and it has been lightly raining since early this morning. I imagine it would be the same at home.
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Hi all , good to see a few more WZ refugees turning up over here.

So what boat you getting Scott???
Yes fishing days seem a long way apart lately, or fall on days one of us works.

Overcast this morning , going to try getting on some more country with the slasher , should see me bogged at some stage, lol

Cheers
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Just another sunny day...
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Is it getting Dry out there yet 28..?

and what are you getting at there dormant..?..lol..

Sf, Light showers overnight and all day on and off....yeah September is usually the start of the decent fishing weather so I doubt I'll miss too many opportunities before then apart from the occasional break in the wind.....if it actually does get flat enough I can still take my little 4.2 out around the islands and try for some mackeral.....

Here is the new girl Bunyip...she should do the trick....they finished the build on Saturday and now she is off to paint this week and fitout after that..I'll be getting the outboard fitted by a local dealer but I'll put the electric motor on myself...

F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Sweet looking tinny mate, should do the job. What size outboard 150hp ?

Dormant : Did you ask for this drizzly crap ?
I got soaked and had to give slashing away , to cold to sit in the rain at this time of year.

Cheers
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

Lol, Bunyip, who me? Nah, am surprised as anyone here, kinda disappointed to return to drizzly, thought just a shower then gone. And yeah, cold too but not freezing so maybe I'll manage. Glad I don't have to come to your rescue with my backhoe and drag you out - just as well, it ain't a goer.

Mossman Show dodged a bullet, was a good day for them yesterday today would have been a mess.

Scott, nice boat, you've had a long wait, Why's the checkerplate floor in so many pieces? But then I know nuttin about boats cept they make me heave.

Re fishing, is spangled emperor a good one? Surely can't be as tasteless as barra.
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Yep, Scott it is getting dry. But still a lot of cloud around at times, and occasionally *feels* like rain, although nothing realistic in sight.
Nice boat.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

200hp Bunyip..she should cut through the chop pretty good ….

yeah Dormant I'll glad when its finally finished ….its been a stressful few months....cant wait to get her here and out on the water though..

Think that checkerplate must be for the boat next door....my deck was finished in those video's...in pieces because there is 5 welded shut buoyancy chambers for flotation under the deck and a hinged kill tank as well as a screwed and sikaflexed fuel chamber cover in the floor..you can see the welded seams of the different floor compartments on one of the video's...

I like Spangler's ..they live on sandy, shoaly country and eat a lot of crabs, crustaceans and the like so the fillets are firm and sweet...some of the larger ones can go a bit tough and rubbery sometimes or maybe its just my cooking...then again I don't mind saltwater barra either...

Looks like being another wet tully show weekend..amazing how that happens so much....
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

Ok, Scott, I did wonder if it were for compartments. Not like our place where we save offcuts for other jobs. At least you'll drift ashore if the worst happens.

Loving this warmer weather and little rain overnight, time to plant pumpkins and sweet potatoes.