Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Tropics day to day weather talk

Event discussion and analysis for Australia's northern tropics, including day to day weather and tropical cyclones.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Tropics day to day weather talk

Post by ayasifiedshak »

Was certainly a good light show the other day, one of the best i have seen for a while, as there was not much rain with it we were able to sit out and watch it. Hmm come to think of it i didn't even check the gauge. Oh well it would have evaporated by now anyway!
The grass has greened up again for the rain a week or so ago, but starting to suffer again..
Why is it in the era of "Time saving" devices, that people are more "Time poor" than ever?

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Good too see you here Marakai , I wonder who else will come out of the wood work as we enter the real season of weather ..
No good on the feed mate that sux , some local hay here was violets too and charging top dollar.

Been flat out bumpering up some country . Wanted to burn today before rain this arvo , but warden won't let us coz not enough notice to neighbors .
Shake my head at some of these rules and regs these days.. Not even any over where the smoke will go with the breeze today. :?

Any way how much will we get out of this lot??

Cheers
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

I've been watching Landline on the ABC for a while now, and can only say our problems are miniscule compared to the rest of the country.
We are mostly guaranteed of rain up here,- below normal or whatever,- we will get rain soon, - - down south may not. :(
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Hickory wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:48 am I've been watching Landline on the ABC for a while now, and can only say our problems are miniscule compared to the rest of the country.
We are mostly guaranteed of rain up here,- below normal or whatever,- we will get rain soon, - - down south may not. :(

Yeah it is unbelievable just how much of our country is in a real bad way , and the size and scale of the fires, This will have a huge economic and social toll on our country for many years too come.
So much country with no income for 2,3 or even 4 years , paddocks blowing away. It will take years to rebuild herds of stock.

Radar is showing shower in Kans , the temp has dropped and its become overcast , bring on a nice shower or two, top up the tanks :D

Cheers
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Coastal showers have at least cooled it out here.
Only made it to 38 today, not that hot really...
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

18mm in the gauge at 4am, looks like a bit more coming too. Really useful.
Hiya Marakai, good to see you posting.
Same boat here, Scott, I didn't mow a large swathe around the mango with a wasps nest, waiting on partner to dispose, not sure my reaction. He had a looksee and got stung (grins)says he'll do it when dusk.
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

A whole 12.2mm at Holloways.
Enough to lay the dust, I suppose. Rain occurrences are becoming more frequent now,- but nothing out of the norm for this time of the year.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Yeah that puts things in perspective Hickory and bunyip...…although down here we have not had any measurable rain yet....

We know that within the next few weeks we are assured of torrential rain but much of the rest of the country is frying with no relief at all in sight...

My families farm in NW NSW has received about 125mm of rain this year....their is no grass, pasture or crops…just dirt and dust....and the decades old trees and forests are also dying..

My Uncle cant use the water from the river running through the place to grow any feed as its all owned by Multinational cotton companies and so much of it wasted in huge shallow dams...the communities, workers and businesses all suffer also....its really sad to see our country in this state...

Although not much rain here at least some overcast weather, a breeze and cooler weather has made working outside so much more bearable.....the boy has been working on a banana cutting crew humping bananas all day the past 2 weeks.....he has sure been earning his pay...lol...

and Dormat yeah its always funny when its someone else getting attacked by wasps.... :D
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

BoM fudging the books by "Cooling The Past To Declare Record Heat"

Oh Dear,- surely they couldn't be doing this,- on purpose,- to convince the gov't they are a 'very essential department' ??
Could this be their way of preventing any more 'culling / automating' of their 'essential' services ?? Oh cynical me. :D :D

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/scien ... 51f24b3fe
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

scott12 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:33 am Bloody hell eh.. they will let any riff raff onto this forum it seems...lol

How ya going bloke...?..besides the dry I mean....and yeah I was talking to my uncle the other day and he has been trucking hay from Victoria to his place in NW NSW ….said its the worst hay he has ever seen...full of sticks and bits of metal and wire.....seems some farmers are cashing in on the dry by baling up anything resembling grass....farmers ripping farmers off...nice..!

Storms and showers forecast from mid week onward and we lost power for few hours on Saturday night during a pierce storm..lots of lightning ad thunder but no real rain for us though...

Thought I'd get a bit of spraying done this morning till I ran into a wasp nest in the creek..pulled me up pretty quick when I ran into it at face level and even got one stuck up my nostril ripping his stinger into my nasal passage lining.....feels like I have gone a few rounds with Mike Tyson..
Heh, Heh, Heh, LMHAO, Yep look's like it Scott, I was a bit worried about the caliber of the site when I saw you were allowed as a member myself, but once I spotted ole C@28 and Yassified along with some of the other WZ reffo's here it seems like they have an open door policy until they really get to know you. (Better behave yourself Mate :D ).

We've been coping sort of O.K , got a good load of $60 round bale rhodes hay for the cattle and horses and have been supplementing with molasses and copra though the local tgt is all out of copra now. The initial rain we got 14-15 mm saw some pick emerge but it is all dying off now with no real follow up rain, need a good 25mm or so to see it set in good and proper.

But that is life really, some years are Diamonds, some years are Coal. Whining about it just doesn't change anything and just makes you a Whiner right ? Plenty more people doing it a lot harder than we are and doing it for a lot longer, they are the ones who need a hand up.

Meh.... a Wasp up your Nostril ? I don't wear jocks. This one time (Not at Band Camp mind you) I was extending out a barrier mesh fence on a work site, grabbed the end of the plastic mesh roll on the end of the cordon and F*(k me a whole paper wasp nest decided that my left short crotch was the perfect place to relocate., might of seemed all ok to them but for me on an early start on a Saturday morning after a night out on the Pour it was the worst place imaginable. Mind you I did have an impressive left testie sack of legendary proportions afterwards. The PAIN was and still is indescribable, .

Anywhoos, good to see a lot of the old crew are still in touch here, hope you all stay safe and a prosperous and fortunate new year for all of you.
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

Hickory wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:30 am BoM fudging the books by "Cooling The Past To Declare Record Heat"

Oh Dear,- surely they cO
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/scien ... 51f24b3fe
HOW DARE YOU ? Doubt the Orifice-Fecal records of the Bureau Of Mess with the past Meteorology ?
HOW DARE YOU bring up the FACTS that prior to the OFFICIAL "record's " prior to 1910 temp records provide proof of
higher temps than current heat island ones.
HOW DARE YOU question the validity of assigning some arbitrary ALL TIME HIGH RECORD for some arbitrary AVERAGE CONTINENTAL HIGH RECORD.
A made up measurement and apparent record?

I might be old but when did actual existent FACTS become obsolete ?

Are we just in make believe land now where FACTS no longer matter ?
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

marakai wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:55 amAre we just in make believe land now where FACTS no longer matter ?
Sadly, marakai, judging by a lot of what I've read in the last few years about all kinds of things, this appears to be the case. Reckon we're on the downhill run and just have to make the best of it.

Bit depressing, but fascinating to watch... From a single person's point of view. I don't have children to worry about.
S
Slipperyfish
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Slipperyfish »

Boy it has been dry at the beach. Two years ago I had only just moved there and between October to December we had over 500mm. Last year, mainly thanks to a big December, we had over 800mm. This year I have a tick over 60mm.

Talking to some old farmers, they can’t recall a dryer fourth quarter. As others have said, at least we know it will rain sooner rather than later. Not like some poor buggers.

Not much storm activity out west neither. Not a good sign at all. Anyway we might see a reasonable drop toward the end of the month.
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

The decent rains don't usually start until Jan.

Decembers can be fickle. For me, the last 5 have been like a yo-yo.
2014:- 111.8 mm -- 2015:- 487.2 mm -- 2016:- 59.8 mm -- 2017:- 27.6 mm -- 2018:- 925.3

Whether we get an above average wet, or a below average wet,- we will get rain. Regions down south, and out of the tropics, can at best just cross their fingers and hope.
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Certainly has been comfortable weather leading up to Xmas....we have just been getting dribs and drabs of a few mm's here and there but relatively mild overcast weather with a good dose of humidity...

Looks like some nice weather for Xmas and then a few showers and storms later in the week...looking promising right along the QLD coast this week...….Been very dry down the beach SF..not good for the mowermen..I have been launching the boat at the Sth mission beach ramp on calm days but its almost always blowy from the North or Noreast in the arvo coming home so we have to drive down to Hull heads and up the river to retreive...so I have to jog from the river ramp over to the beach to grab the car and trailer...been passing a few hungry Cassowaries and Agile Wallabies scrounging for a bit of tucker...not a lot of green pick around..

Ah, the old Paper wasp on the scrotum trick....Holy blazes...!!..that sure was a bad day to leave the merkin at home, marakai…!
S
Slipperyfish
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Slipperyfish »

Yeah Scott, been very dry. Like the look for the coming week though, hope it holds up.

You could always just use the ramp at Camoo. Bit closer for the drive. I think Clump is open for the Chrissy break as well.

Have you got skids or rollers on the trailer? If you have skids you could just back down the beach and pull it out.

That breeze you curse is wonderful for evening drinkies as the sun goes down. Just sayin’...
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

Well people the Termites are out doing their daub and fill, none of them little towers yet we get before the big falls, but they have been on the go for the last few days here so the Wet might be finally on the way huh.

Finally starting to see those big highs over the southern parts Pour off to the south a bit also so the Monsoon can get it's giddy on.

As usual for us, we have had a horrible last minute Xmas shopping heading off down to Cairns for prezzies for the Kids, must say though it has been a lot more subdued than I expected both weather and people wise compared to the last couple of years. Was down there Thu/Fri/Sat and today but it was just similar to a long weekend or Easter type rush compared to Xmas over the last couple of years. Also the temps have been quite mild compared to last year, and here at home over the last three weeks or so, we had 43-4 here in the shed here at home two week's back, a comfy 23 here right now in the shed at 1.00 AM.

I do the insect count in addition to the discomfort level also when judging the weather here, the fluro's here in the shed apparently attract every insect around from over a Km away after the rain hits even a little bit, humidity up/insects up... but then we also get the predators such as bird eating spiders, scorpions etc creeping out feeding on the insects , the pythons hitting the poultry after shedding their skin, the juvenile dingos hitting the new born calves right about now while we are hand feeding the poor old cows and the frustration level with last minute Xmas shopping setting in right on cue with the start of the School holidays.

No wonder they call it Troppo season up this way hey ?

Mind you though, I think we have it pretty good up here mostly compared to some of our fellow country people down south right now who have lost everything over the last month's or so due to the fires, compounded by the drought and all the associated hardship that spreads through rural community's when the main employers go under do to such situations.

(Rant Starts) I know there are places online and over the phone etc where you can donate to such causes, but I was struck over the last few days that there was no one on the streets in Cairns or in the shopping centers with a bucket out or such raising funds for our brothers and sisters/ Family's on the land ? I would of thrown in a fiddy or so easily, and I'm sure that even the small change from thousands of others could make a difference at this time.

I can remember clearly Aussies raising multiple millions for the Tsunami survivors back in 2005 ? by having people everywhere accepting donations for the survivors in other country's, I personally gave a greyback for that at the time in Darwin. Especially at this time of year I think rather than relying upon call centers who take a profit and pay the staff, a few volunteers in each shopping center could do a whole lot of good for those concerned. (Rant Over)

Great to catch up with all the refo's from WZ here, We have dried out here over the last few week's in our local area, I can see the storms pass by both 28 and Dormant as they happen, be jealous of that deplorable Scott with his Fishing and regular showers, envy Yassiedshacks light shows and watch on radar Bunyips regular showers reach the coast and dissipate as they pass over the mountains that divide us again. I think nearly all of us have been doing this for over a decade now.....
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

Nice post, Marakai, chatty even.

Am enjoying the drippy weather, and cooler. before the sodden and sticky. Not enjoying the mossies buzzing in my ear in the middle of the night, hence why I'm up now at 2am. Guess I'll have to ask partner for another sweep with the mister - wish this new machine was easier for me to start, even with a bracket to anchor the base on the bench I can't pull strongly enough and for once it's not old age.

Gladdens my heart to see green everywhere...
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

I cant remember when I last saw a mozzie, Dormant...not so green down here yet..

But all the forecasts are firming up for widespread monsoonal activity this week and beyond...looking good for the whole top end and east coast...just hope it does in fact materialise..the frogs have sure been going off the past couple of evenings..

I was talking to my uncle and he was telling me it was 47c at his place on Sunday while he was unloading a truck load of hay......they sure are tough guys these old farmers...

I just have a roller trailer SF and a pontoon makes the process a lot easier with the new boat....I still use Carmoo for my tinny but its a difficult ramp to retrieve on with the bigger boat...Clump point is just open for 2 weeks then closed again till they finish it...but there is limited parking ATM.
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

BoM weekly outlook still going for a further weakening of the IOD.
Let's see how their prediction goes.

Potential for widespread rain across parts of northern Australia
The likelihood of average to above-average rain in early 2020 is expected to increase as the influence of the Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD) declines. The positive IOD, which has been the dominant climate influence for northern Australia in recent months, weakened further in the past week. The latest weekly index (to 22 December) fell to +0.6 °C—still above the +0.4 °C positive IOD threshold. Nearly all climate models indicate the positive IOD will continue to weaken, and will dissipate in January 2020.