Welcome New Members! We want to hear from you. Register, stop lurking and start posting!

Tropics day to day weather talk

Event discussion and analysis for Australia's northern tropics, including day to day weather and tropical cyclones.
Forum rules
When posting photos, particularly in active breaking weather threads, please link to clickable photos to minimise download issues. For more information, see Posting Photo Guidelines for more information. Threads that are six weeks old or older will be Archived Here
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Re: Tropics day to day weather talk

Post by scott12 »

Got all the mowing done yesterday in preparation for the deluge..saw it all starting to hit Cairns from the north last night on the radar..closed up everything and turned off the gravity feed water before going to bed....

Over 200mm in cairns last night and up to 500mm just to the south the night before and barely filled the inner tube of the gauge here....

28 measly mm's here in the last 24 hrs....

Creeks are barely running and still too full of leaves and crap to swim in without turning into a muddy mess...

This golden gumboot thing is a total farce..!
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

Hickory wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:42 am
marakai wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:27 am
Naw .. that's way too Modern Scott, we been here a long while. More like Deliverance LOL
I thought it was more like this:
Yeah one of the all time classics....great film, great scenery..

Hopefully, marakai, you are suggesting that you are more like the Burt Reynolds outdoorsman character then the backwoods character who enjoys intercourse with pigs.. ;) :D
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

I am so so jealous. A decent rain event in the region - and I'm missing it. 😞
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

Our rain gauge has filled so waiting on Bunyip;s total...
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

Dormant wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:47 am Our rain gauge has filled so waiting on Bunyip;s total...
I see the daintree village alert has 82mm since 09:00. and Bairds Alert has 88mm.

Our rain didn't start 'til after 03:00. -- 62mm at the moment, but just started coming down heavy again.
Not sure there'll be much more by 09:00.
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

185mm over here :) :)
Creeks have had a good flush now
Few trees down and a few small slips around the cuttings.

Beautiful night of rain and light show.

Cheers
scott12
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by scott12 »

23mm down here in the dry country..

Tully has had 255mm for the year so far..

Damn you global warming.. :? :x

Think I might head out for a fish and work on my tan.. :(
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

scott12 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:55 am
Hickory wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:42 am
marakai wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:27 am
Naw .. that's way too Modern Scott, we been here a long while. More like Deliverance LOL
I thought it was more like this:
Yeah one of the all time classics....great film, great scenery..

Hopefully, marakai, you are suggesting that you are more like the Burt Reynolds outdoorsman character then the backwoods character who enjoys intercourse with pigs.. ;) :D
LMHFAO, It's a bit like those Memes you see Scott, How We see us compared to How They see us. Going by appearances any Tourist would probably be violet themselves when we pull up to help them out though , as we do fit the Ideal "Squeal like a pig type Redneck Bogan" upon first sight....And I will admit that the odd individual/family tourist stranded on the side of the Highway up here has locked all the doors on their vehicle when approached both day and night with an offer of assistance.
Can't say that I blame them though in this day and age, I keep a handy youllbe on hand in all the vehicles I and the Missus drive.

Only ever there to help out tho, and most times we are the first that has actually stopped to lend a hand with a flat they have no idea of how to change or a lack of fuel due to the long distances between points compared a petrol station every 20 km when they are back home. Also been stuck on the side of the road plenty enough times myself over the years, so I always pull over and ask if people are O.K , bit different if your in town, but when there's no mobile coverage for another 40 km and they are pulled over in areas you pass every day that have no point's of interest like a creek or something , or you see a kid vomiting or taking a pee, you get a feel that they might need a hand.

Last one was actually a Taxi driver from Cairns on the way back from Laura, He ran out of Diesel due to a crappy gauge after a camping trip up there , pr**k said he would drop off a refill for the 20 liters I gave him next time he passed, but I haven't heard from him since. Funniest one though was a van full of Japanese tourists who couldn't speak English on their way to Cooktown , Sister In law is Japanese so we know some greetings etc, They got a rear blow out on their hire car right on dark and were all 8 of them just sitting in the vehicle right on dusk on the side of the highway, no local mobile coverage and it was just getting on dark when we pulled up.

Now we are "bush types" for want of a better word, Bogan's, So we pull over and wander up to the vehicle, they are all looking as nervous as and we say Konnichi wa, they were all looking nervous as until we said that, and then the whole van exploded into an unintelligible mix of Japanese along with smiles, laughs and many many Domo Arigato, Once we changed their tyre and got them on their way they tried handing us $50 dollar notes in thanks which we refused, got a few dozen pics taken and saw them on their way.
We might look like we can make you Squeal like a pig, we probably could too :) , but only if you make us do it.

In other news we got a nice 91.5 over night, Bushy Creek got shut down till 2.00 PM, the Missus lost a day of work at Kooyong as a result and the Kid's didn't make it to School, Mitchel Flat's got to .4 early on dropping to .1 on the way back from Mareeba this arvo.
D
Dormant
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Dormant »

I would have taken their money, cheapskate that I am figgering it would cover the lost diesel. What goes around comes around. But, goodonya.
PS. what's a youllbe?
S
Slipperyfish
Stratus
Reactions:

Post by Slipperyfish »

Been away for a couple of days. Found 88mm in the gauge.

Rained all night and still raining lightly this morning. I think the Sth Mission alert is cactus as it has been showing 4mm since yesterday lunch time.
F
FNQBunyip
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by FNQBunyip »

Good yarn Marakai ..And some good falls around the place, can't for the life of me understand why Bushy has not been upgraded.
How hard would it be to put 100m of box culverts down on the cement base and build up the road. Damn stupid being closed at .3

Well only 14 mm here this morning .

Looks like something similar brewing for later next week :) will just have to keep watching the charts and the sky..

Hoping to get the mower over the yard today , missed last weekend with other things on and now it looks real bad all shaggy,

'ave a good weekend all

Cheers
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

FNQBunyip wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:56 am Good yarn Marakai ..And some good falls around the place, can't for the life of me understand why Bushy has not been upgraded.
How hard would it be to put 100m of box culverts down on the cement base and build up the road. Damn stupid being closed at .3

Well only 14 mm here this morning .

Looks like something similar brewing for later next week :) will just have to keep watching the charts and the sky..

Hoping to get the mower over the yard today , missed last weekend with other things on and now it looks real bad all shaggy,

'ave a good weekend all

Cheers
Hey All :)

Bunyip they actually close it (Bushy Creek) at .2 , and the reason it floods is because the creek is blocked down stream from the crossing before it flows into Rifle Creek, which then flows on into the Mitchel River. Basically it is local Politics which involves a local land owner stopping the Local Council from carrying out remedial works on their freehold property that involves a natural water flow.
Don't really know which side of the argument I am on myself, I am all for freehold property rights, but I do sort of lean towards the greater good when it comes to such issues for the larger community.... But then who the hell are the local council to come in upon free hold land and change the water course???? Maybe they should just flood proof the Bushy Creek Crossing once and for all ?
Wouldn't take too much of an effort really as it only ever get's to a meter or so at worst and it is the most northern route to the coast from the Tablelands outside of Kuranda and the Gillies, outside of Quaid's that is if you count that one.
Happens every year though, our Girls go to both Julatten State and Mossman High and without fail they miss school due to flooding at Bushy Creek each and every year, along with that the Missus also work's on that side of Bushy from us as well and also misses work due to the annual flooding there. Though quite often, both the Missus and the Kids are surprisingly UN disappointed when that happens.... Diametrically opposed to my reaction .....Sigh!

Dormant a Youllbe is something... someone Smack's you in the head with, A nice piece of Hardwood like an Axe handle made out of Hickory for example. If they hit you with it, "You'll Be" Forever Uunlikely Conditionally Kind of Educationally Developed for ever again.

We don't take money from Tourist's just on the point that you made, that What Go's around Comes Around. I have been helped out multiple times myself on the side of really empty highway's in some really remote places in Aus while looking like something right out of Deliverance by some really Nice people, have also spent day's on the side of the same empty Highways due to looking like that as well though with things as simple as a flat battery. Me and the Missus once spent a whole three day's down near Newman in W.A after pulling off the so called Highway to camp for the night, chose to listen to the statically impaired ABC radio to catch up on world events and woke up with a flat battery, with the Subaru Stationwagon pointed up hill. Three day's later a Dutch Fella in a Hiace took pity on us and decided to pull over, he was nervous as while driving the 200 meters into the camp site that we had chosen, we had spent the two day's before hand on the side of the road with a cardboard sign saying flat battery on it but he was the only person to stop and offer to help out. We caught up with the same Fella a few months later in Alice Springs and shouted him a Meal and Drinks, kept in contact for a few years as well but don't know where he is now. This was all before the internet and Mobile phones etc way back in 1999...

Last time we took a trip over that way I had a PLB + Satellite phone with us, along with recovery insurance and both two way and HF radio communication on the vehicle, things that just weren't available without a huge budget back then. Even then we ran into an elderly couple who had blown a tire on their trailer right on dusk on the Gibb River road on the turn off to Drysdale river on their way to Mitchell Fall's up in the North Kimberly, Turned out that they were both on their bucket list tour of Aus as he had Cancer and both had recently retired. They were well preped and all and had all the insurance and gear they needed etc but the old fella just couldn't break the wheel nut's that their local tyre company had screwed on with the ratchet guns they all use before they keft home. RACV had told them that somebody would be with them within 24 Hr's, fat lot of help that was to them where they were.

All of us need a little help now and again, just have a look at our brothers and sisters to our south right now, they might not have experienced 250 Km hr winds tearing their roof's off or destroying their homes, flooding in their lounge rooms up to their heads or watching their stock washed away into their neighbours fencelines, but at the same time we may not have experienced a firestorm coming out of nowhere and achieving the same result that destroys all we had and owned as well.

A little bit given by all of us , even just a couple of dollars here and there can make a difference, just like pulling over and making sure a fellow traveler is ok on the side of the road.

A little bit soppy for a Redneck I guess, but by the look's of things about to eventuate in the near future I think we all need to look out for each other.

Oh yeah the weather... 1.5mm to report over the last 48 hr's....
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

I'm in Kiama, NSW. No rain, just smoke.

Here's a video found on twitter the other nite. Shud be able to watch without signing in.

Think I'd rather go thru a cyclone, or anything else, than this. And the fire fighters keep doing it.
ayasifiedshak
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by ayasifiedshak »

Some stirring's out there...

Tropical Cyclone Outlook for The Coral Sea
IDQ10810

Tropical Cyclone Outlook for Coral Sea
Issued at 2:30 pm EST on Tuesday 4 February 2020
for the period until midnight EST Friday 7 February 2020.

Existing Cyclones in the Eastern Region:
None.

Potential Cyclones:

A monsoon trough extends from Cape York Peninsula to the northern Coral Sea region. A weak tropical low lies along the trough southwest of the Solomon Islands with little or no convection.

The tropical low is expected to remain slow moving during the week. Environmental conditions are expected to improve from the weekend with moderate potential for tropical cyclone development late in the weekend or early next week.

Likelihood of a tropical cyclone in the Eastern Region on:
Wednesday:Very low
Thursday:Very low
Friday:Very low
Why is it in the era of "Time saving" devices, that people are more "Time poor" than ever?

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.
28degrees
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by 28degrees »

Yikes. I'm at Central Station in Sydney. The weather app tells me it's 21°C.

I spent my first 45 years in Sydney, don't remember it being this cold at this time of year.

Cant wait to get back to some sensible temperatures.
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

Reckon you might get surprised by all the green on your return C@28, Have watched a bunch of weather dump over your neck of the woods from here if the radar can be believed over late, you mob got a lot more than us here at Mary Farms, Have some friends out at Wolfram Camp who got swamped with recent falls out your way.
Can't believe that you are a Southern Native with your innate lack of tolerance to the cold, Must be your destiny to end up up this way.
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

ayasifiedshak wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:42 pm Some stirring's out there...

Tropical Cyclone Outlook for The Coral Sea
IDQ10810

Tropical Cyclone Outlook for Coral Sea
Issued at 2:30 pm EST on Tuesday 4 February 2020
for the period until midnight EST Friday 7 February 2020.

Existing Cyclones in the Eastern Region:
None.

Potential Cyclones:

A monsoon trough extends from Cape York Peninsula to the northern Coral Sea region. A weak tropical low lies along the trough southwest of the Solomon Islands with little or no convection.

The tropical low is expected to remain slow moving during the week. Environmental conditions are expected to improve from the weekend with moderate potential for tropical cyclone development late in the weekend or early next week.

Likelihood of a tropical cyclone in the Eastern Region on:
Wednesday:Very low
Thursday:Very low
Friday:Very low
Once again another guesstimate from the BOM, A week out and no definitive advice of if or where this will develop. A guess from me is that South East Aus will get some serious flooding over the next week. Especially if the expected Highs develop over the South of Aus over the next five days. Just as accurate as the BOM from my point of view, lets see what happens huh ?

Serious Flooding in South East Aus, Northen NSW /Southern Queensland especially around the Bryon Bay sort of area if we get the double Blocking highs down south over the next week. No hate if it doesn't happen huh?
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

28degrees wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:06 am I'm in Kiama, NSW. No rain, just smoke.

Here's a video found on twitter the other nite. Shud be able to watch without signing in.

Think I'd rather go thru a cyclone, or anything else, than this. And the fire fighters keep doing it.
Your on Twitter C@28 ??? I just watched that footage you posted, Truly apocalyptic the way that the fire swept through just after "hopefully" everyone left. (If you haven't.... watch it.")
Last edited by Jake Smethurst on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Non-related topic conversation
H
Hickory
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by Hickory »

Everywhere from CNS to Rocky was quite green, but noticeably a lot drier south of Rocky to about the Sunny coast.
Last edited by Jake Smethurst on Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Non-related topic conversation
m
marakai
Cumulus
Reactions:

Post by marakai »

Still dry here, tried to rain today but only managed a smattering of drops.

Look's like I might have to find somewhere else to hang out at when I bother, Barely a wet season in and people are being edited for off topic post's? Seriously???

I never cease to wonder that when it comes down to it on a forum, that the people (members) posting on it are the actual product with which the forum owner gains an income from/funds the website. The actual communication between members encourages yet more communication and "hits" on the website in turn making it more valuable and also attracts more members over time, as the local information provided free of charge by the members who form ever larger local circles and membership increases the information provided becomes invaluable in times of severe events such as floods or bushfires and even more people join such forums to gain local up to date information and advice from people in their own locales.

17 pages in and the "Local's" forum is being edited for off topic post's, Not even a cyclonic event to be had yet and what, maybe ten regular posters on the forum ? Sorry Jake, but why even bother trying if you are unable to allow a cohesive community to form before editing out what was obviously worth the time of the person posting it to comment, and dare I say those who might have wanted to read it also.

I might check back again, but Jake just in case you hadn't of noticed, there are plenty of other options out there for like minded weather people to congregate at to discuss both the weather and whatever else they feel like commenting on at the time, you might find that people who have been keeping in contact for ten to twenty years back on weatherzone quite often discuss off topic subjects when there is SFA happening on the local weather front just to keep up to date and in contact with each other.

As stated, a forum is only as good and as valuable as it's MEMBERS make it, no members means no forum. You can have all the bells and whistles you want, but no traffic means zero value.